Hello, I'm really in a Summoner fever at the moment and I'm trying to make one work here in this game.

Any ideas how I should build one?

I feel like Ancient / Beguiler / Troubadour are all strong picks but I don't know which one I should pick or mix. Are there maybe other choices I'm forgetting?

I would like to take it to PotD all upscaled.

For summons I would like it to be either Animals or Elementals but it's not a must. (I don't even know if Elementals are good.)

Or is this all a pipe dream and summons still scale very badly?

Edited by Rimiu

They scale ok.

If you like the combo of summons + DoT then I'd say Ancient is your thing. There is no other class that combines thise two parts that well. Also heals very well which is always good.

Debuffing is also decent.

Chanters are also good debuffers and support, but they have no impressive DoTs and the healing is more passive than "on point". 

They are very good at summoning though. A Troubadour can passively summon a skeleton every 3 seconds. Those don't count towards the summon limit (usually you can only have one summoning instance on the field).

You can even make an Ancient/Troubadour and give all your summons Mith Fyr and other passive support. Wild Growth works on all beast/primordial summons of the Chanter as well (wurms, oozes, shrooms). But you'll lose the high level stuff (e.g. upgraded Ancient Weapons summon which is really good - especially as Beckoner).

If you have a Single Class Chanter and a Single Class Ancient in the party you can cast Wikd Growth (Ancient) on a summoned Dragon (Chanter) which is quite spectacular. :)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Although this might not be precisely what you're looking for I did mess around a bit with a ranger/beckoner utilizing the bow that causes soul diplomacy on crits. It allows you to have multiple summons at once and can be pretty fun to just "infect" nearby enemies one at a time and the use an AOE spell to activate them all on simultaneous kills. 

Edited by Remix
Mispell
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 6:39 AM, Boeroer said:

Thanks for the post. I kinda abandoned this thread and forgot about it after no one replied for 2 days but I'm happy now that someone did reply!

Ancient really does look nice, I agree. My only problem is, I don't really know how to build a chanter... I would kinda prefer to multiclass instead of playing 2 seperate characters if I go that route.

Healing is not a requirement and if I were to play single class chanter, I would like to play them "caster" style if possible. Also it's kinda sad that they lack dots. Decisions decisions.

Edited by Rimiu

• 2 weeks later...

Chanters work really well as a multiclass option. Druid pairs well because of healing and lots of AOE spells while you wait for chants to build up. Wizard, too because of self buffs (+5 int +5 con 2nd level spell especially). 

As far as the chanter part it just depends. Troubadour and beckoner are great for summons. The former because your chants accumulate quick and the latter because more summons at once can increase dps. 

Some concern about Essence Interrupter: it still seems to destroy loot drop every now and then. Had that problem some days ago with an Arcane Archer - again. I thought it was fixed but apparently it's still not (100%).

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods