I have started a turn based game after installing PoE II with patch 5.0. My character is a chanter skald. Every time combat starts, my character all ready has 4 chants which means I can start casting invocations right away. 

Is this right ? In PoE I I had to do some chanting before I could cast any invocation. Being able to cast invocation at the beginning of combat make combat a lot easier. 

5 minutes ago, EskimoQuinn said:

I have started a turn based game after installing PoE II with patch 5.0. My character is a chanter skald. Every time combat starts, my character all ready has 4 chants which means I can start casting invocations right away. 

Is this right ? In PoE I I had to do some chanting before I could cast any invocation. Being able to cast invocation at the beginning of combat make combat a lot easier. 

as a skald, always choose one non-offensive invocation which is particular phrase expensive. why? at the start o' combat you get free phrases equal to your most costly invocation.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Deadfire's Chanter mechanics are a bit different than PoE's. Due to player feedback the Chanter gets phrases at the start of an encounter so he can use an invocation right away instead if having to wait for quite a long time.

Also Invacations don't follow the old rule "the higher the level the more phrases they need". Phrase cost is quite individial now. Usually the more powerful ones do still need more phrases, but it's not as streamlined anymore and more balanced.  Also most phrases don't have different chant and linger times anymore. It's all 6 seconds chant and 3 seconds linger afaik. Don't know how that translates into turns.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

7 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Also Invacations don't follow the old rule "the higher the level the more phrases they need". Phrase cost is quite individial now. Usually the more powerful ones do still need more phrases, but it's not as streamlined anymore and more balanced. 

Huh?  Invocation cost is still based on their power level.  Before modification by subclasses, tier I-II Invocations cost 3 Phrases, III-IV cost 4, V-VI cost 5, and so forth.  The only wrinkle is that upgrades to Invocations that you already have still have their Phrase cost based on their original level. 

22 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Whatever the wrinkle is: there are invocations on one Power Level that cost different amounts of phrases, right?

For a base-class Chanter (or a Storm Speaker), all invocations' cost is consistent with that invocation's base level (i.e., not factoring upgrades in) divided by 2 (round up) plus 2. 

Any difference between abilities on the same tier is attributable either to a subclass (such as a Skald's -1 for Offensive and +1 for Non-Offensive) or to one of the abilities being an upgrade, rather than the base ability.  So, if you look at the tier III abilities on a base-class Chanter's action bar, you might see The Shield Cracks costing 3 and Reny Daret's Ghost Spake costing 4, but that's because The Shield Cracks is an upgrade of Hel-Hyraf on tier I, where Ghost Spake is a base-tier-III ability. 

(IIRC, at release, upgrades caused the phrase cost to increase to match that of others on that tier.  They changed that in a patch after folks complained that the cost increase made some upgrades a net negative on the effectiveness of the ability.)

Edited by Enoch