The Outer Worlds Release Date and Pre-orders Announced!

Hello future Spacers,

We hope you've heard the exciting news about the release date for The Outer Worlds coming to Xbox Game Pass, Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC on October 25th, 2019.  Not only that, but pre-orders are now available from the Private Division store!

The Outer Worlds website has also been updated to showcase some of the cool companions, weapons, features, and areas.  So, stop on by the site and check out all the cool new goodness, brought to you by the Halcyon Holdings Corporation!  Noncompliance by HHC employees may result in docked pay.

See you in the future!

• Like 4

No collector edition and no physical for PC. Sad.

So... it will be with my Microsoft Game pass...

Edited by BillyCorgan

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

No PC preorders available yet, but there are four stores listed: Epic, GameStop, Microsoft and interestingly, an option to buy the game directly from Private Division.

Come on Private Division, how about a complimentary Steam key for people who preorder directly from you, to be distributed one year after the game is released? You want some good PR, this is how you get it.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Hmmm 1

Or Microsoft... I'll still wait and see if/when a Steam key becomes available within a reasonable time frame. If not, the Microsoft store it is then.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm a bit concerned about the potential difficulty of getting a key for the Microsoft Store since as far as I know they have no reseller partners. No doubt buying it direct will incur me the full $89.95AUD RRP which I'd rather not pay. Best bet might actually be an Xbone digital copy if the game supports the Play Anywhere scheme.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Well, i haven't read the whole forum (but still, i've read it a bit), but it looks like not only Steam is not for certain, but i did not find any mention of GOG. I already stated that i would not buy a game that force me to run a third party program to play. Last game i purchased like this was new Vegas on Steam (so, it was a long time ago), i won't do it again.

I learned very recently that not only Obsidian, but InXile, too, were bought by Microsoft. I find it funny. Both stated that they wanted their own IP in order to remain free from publishers. We backed their games to make it happen. And now this. Why?

But it's not that big an issue, after all. Even without a publisher, i was worried as to what Obsidian was up to with Tyranny and Pillars 2. There were some weird ''quality of life'' downgrades in there. So, whatever place i would have to download the game from, and whatever weird spyware/DRM would be added to a game i payed for.... i won't fall for it. No GOG or DRM free solution, no money. Let's not even talk about this store or pre order mentionned in this thread, by OP. Who still trusts publishers and buy a game before the game is even out? Looks like regarding Obsidian, the Kickstarter times are long gone. And no way i would trust Microsoft store, or Square Enix Store, or GoShoveThisUpYourAss Store... That's it for Obsidian. For me, at least.

But well, if i'm bored and happen, in the end, to be curious to try it a few hours nonetheless, and if there is no DRM-free solution, there is still the Pirate Bay Store... Believe it or not, but i've never, not even once, downloaded illegally a game that was sold without DRM, even in order to pre test it before buying it (which is a good method to ensure i'm not taken for a fool. I download New Vegas on a pirate website in order to test it, and once i was sure the game was worth my money, i bought it). Never ever.

Edited by Abel

So, what exactly do we get if we pre-order directly from the official Private Division store? They don't say. A direct download? Do they have a launcher app of their own? Are they simply reselling Epic Games Store keys?

Edited by Infinitron

On 6/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, Abel said:

Well, i haven't read the whole forum (but still, i've read it a bit), but it looks like not only Steam is not for certain, but i did not find any mention of GOG. I already stated that i would not buy a game that force me to run a third party program to play. Last game i purchased like this was new Vegas on Steam (so, it was a long time ago), i won't do it again.

I learned very recently that not only Obsidian, but InXile, too, were bought by Microsoft. I find it funny. Both stated that they wanted their own IP in order to remain free from publishers. We backed their games to make it happen. And now this. Why?

Money, money, money, money. 

Steam is certain, the year after release. I don't remember ever hearing anything about GOG release, so I wouldnt' hold my breath. It's not impossible though. I am not sure what Private Division's store policy is, but if I remember well, their titles will be released as a time limited Epic exclusives.

As to Microsoft, they seem to want to get some goodwill with all the Epic controversy, and recently announced that they will be making their game available through more stores:
https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-games-on-steam-announced/

So steam is confirmed, though it doesn't seem to satisfy you. There is a mention that they want to bring their games to more stores, which makes GoG a possibility.

Question: the game is coming out on Oct. 25 for PS4, but the PSN pre-order page still says it's coming out June 30 2020? Is that accurate or does it just need to be updated at some point? I'd love to pre-order the game, I just want to make sure that if I choose the digital PS4 version that I don't have to wait an extra 7 months.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, Infinitron said:

So, what exactly do we get if we pre-order directly from the official Private Division store? They don't say. A direct download? Do they have a launcher app of their own? Are they simply reselling Epic Games Store keys?

Would also like to know the answer to this question.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, Katarack21 said:

Would also like to know the answer to this question.

Finally got a response from Private Division:

Thanks for reaching out.

When you pre-order The Outer Worlds from our Private Division store, you will be receiving an Epic Game store key. We hope this clarifies any confusion. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Edited by Infinitron

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2019 at 2:15 AM, Abel said:

I don't remember either of them saying that was the reason they wanted their own IP, and I don't believe even slightly that that was their main motivation.

The reason they wanted to be bought by a publisher was for financial stability. They wanted to be able to keep all of their employees employed and not have to worry about needing to lay people off (again) because a project got cancelled.

In your later paragraphs you appear to be directing blame Obsidian's way for the current store situation of The Outer Worlds. This is misguided; this was 100% a Private Division decision.

On 9/5/2019 at 11:27 AM, Chairchucker said:

I don't remember either of them saying that was the reason they wanted their own IP, and I don't believe even slightly that that was their main motivation.

The reason they wanted to be bought by a publisher was for financial stability. They wanted to be able to keep all of their employees employed and not have to worry about needing to lay people off (again) because a project got cancelled.

Well, you probably haven't seen the same interviews as me. The reason they needed to lay off people at Obsidian, to begin with, was because another project was cancelled by a publisher. This kind of things happen all the time, too. And Both InXile and Obsidian explained that they wanted to be independant so that they could create their own IP and be able to keep it their own, because whenever a publisher is involved for more than just distribution, the intellectual property of said franchise become the publisher's. Being bought by X rather than being hired by X does not guarantee your safety since Microsoft could decide to just close the studio whenever they feel like it. This, too happened a lot in the past.

If they were bought by Microsoft, that means that both Pillars of Eternity franchise and Wasteland franchise became Microsoft property. It's even more funny when you think how Brian Fargo explained in details how he struggled to get back the rights for Wasteland for almost 20 years before giving up because EA wouldn't give in. And how he chose Kickstarter in order to create Wasteland 2 independently, and why he did so: a deep rejection of publishers. He even made videos for his kickstarter campains making fun of publishers. One, particularly, where he used a child to play the role of a publisher representative, and where he ridiculed everything regarding their way to think video games.

Edited by Abel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Dalton Patton said:

i may have miss it in the comments but when is the release date for the Nintendo Switch version?

TOW on Switch is still TBA.  

Potentially end of 2019 or early 2020, but there has been no announcement of a firm release date for the Switch version.