RAND0M VIDE0 GAME NEW5

I guess we'll have to wait and see some studies on the damage from EA's MTX schemes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

TennoCon (the Warframe conference) was this weekend, I think the most relevant part is that there's a new player experience overhaul upcoming (about time) and that the game gets a new (very cool) intro:

Bunch of other new stuff being announced (new rendering engine, ship space combat, etc.), but I figure this to be the most relevant to those not already playing the game (especially those that got turned off by said new player experience), no ETA on any of the new player stuff though.

Edited by marelooke

I have never played warframe, but of all the games as a service, it's probably the only one I view in a positive light and see the devs as the good guys. Does this perception still hold, or are they chase the expected ends with the expected means?

5 hours ago, injurai said:

I have never played warframe, but of all the games as a service, it's probably the only one I view in a positive light and see the devs as the good guys. Does this perception still hold, or are they chase the expected ends with the expected means?

They still do a lot better than most, but despite me still liking the game very much let's put some potential negatives on a row:

• Riven mods: there's 4 layers of randomness involved: chance to get one in the first place, chance to get one for the weapon you want it for, chance to get the stats on it that you want and then the chance to roll "ideal" numbers on those stats), which means that realistically if you really want one you'll have to buy it off of other players (with premium currency, of course, as barely anyone will accept anything else). There's a reason this system often gets compared to Diablo 3's market (or lootboxes, but that's kinda stretching it, even though it is designed to make people spend). However, unlike Diablo 3's stuff Riven mods provide bonuses you objectively don't need, so many people just ignore they exist (including yours truly) with no impact on their game. It really only preys on players that want to hyper-optimize their gear even if there's no cause to do so (the day they become mandatory is the day I quit playing)
  • Nightwave: basically a battle pass, as such it preys on people's FOMO. Makes a lot of things slower to acquire so it potentially slows down new player progression, definitely impacts the easy come/easy go aspect of the game.
  • TennoGen (skins based on community designs): on PC only purchasable with real money (not with premium currency, unlike on consoles) and the prices are downright ridiculous (~6 EURO for a Warframe skin nowadays, for reference for our non-EU members: an AAA game is around 60 EURO over here)
  • Void 2.0: the Void is where you get "Prime" gear, which is basically buffed versions of regular gear with more bling. With the changes they did they added another layer of grind to it. For coordinated groups it's an improvement over the old system, for everyone else it's more grind (and arguably more boring than the old system), so it pushes more people towards just buying the "Prime Access" (or buying from other players, which once again means more premium currency).

Of those 4 only Nightwave (there are Nightwave-only resources that you need to build certain Warframes and weapons) and the Void are pretty much mandatory to interact with.

Sucks they had to change the name, but that's better than going through a lengthy lawsuit, I guess. As long as the gameplay is good, they can call it Grapefruit Waterslide Rainbow Extravaganza, for all I care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, as much as I like the name it's lost the flair :(

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

19 hours ago, Oner said:

I can't express how idiotic the whole iron maiden situation is.

Iron Maiden can't be bought indeed.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

^ I imagine Greedfall will have a lot of good ideas, but also come up short in several areas, like all the Spiders games before it, but I'll still almost certainly play it and most likely enjoy it because I'm a sucker for janky European RPGs. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to side with Team Manifest Destiny or Team Tree Hugger.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks