RAND0M VIDE0 GAME NEW5

15 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Sure, but they will probably eventually start putting in code to prevent that, or sue them for something or other.

The big advantage of GOG in this is that they are based in EU. If other launchers start to put some code, which will prevent competition in the market, all they need to sue them at EU court, like Google and MS were sued few times in the past. 

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

5 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Sure, but they will probably eventually start putting in code to prevent that, or sue them for something or other.

Most launcher makers have zero reason to do that. It's not like Battlefield V or AC: Odyssey will actually be on GOG the storefront just because Origin and uPlay are integrated- and if they were EA/ Ubi etc would only care if GOG took a cut. For companies like EA and Ubisoft their launchers exist to avoid paying fees to someone else- they're there to make money. So since you won't be able to buy the games from GOG only from EA/ Ubi, if someone else wants to provide the loss making bits of a launcher like forums etc for free then they should be ecstatic at not having to host as much annoying infrastructure with associated support costs.

Steam and EGS would be different. But the problem for steam at least is they have spent a lot of time and money trying to cultivate a reputation for not really being a commercial venture but some sort of public good (which is ludicrous, but it's clearly what many of their fans actually believe) and an 'open' platform where all the lock in features are actually benefits for the good of everyone. Making it hard for GOG to integrate with that runs very much counter to that narrative- though I have zero doubt it will happen if they feel threatened; goodwill is nice, but it isn't worth as much as actual money.

(I'd suspect Workshop is a major reasons for Galaxy 2, since it's gated from GOG and many game makers just use it as a default, but I'm not part of the beta so that is speculation on my part as to whether Galaxy 2 can get around that)

On 6/30/2019 at 4:52 PM, MrBrown said:

Somehow, I don't think the other companies will allow you to subvert their launchers so easily...

It doesn't seem to be subverting all that much. It just collates data from installed launches and presents them in a single piece of software. Launching a game still starts the approriate launcher anyway, just automatically.

If anything, that's more liable to make me install uPlay or EGS.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 6/30/2019 at 3:52 PM, MrBrown said:

Somehow, I don't think the other companies will allow you to subvert their launchers so easily...

I don't think Galaxy2 is really stepping on anyones toes right now. Keep in mind that GoG is supposively working with other platforms to make the integration possible.

Epic/Battlenet/Origin all rely on exclusive games. While you might launch them (and download them? I am not sure about this part) via Galaxy2 you can buy it via gog and a platform on which you own that game still needs to be installed. GOG hope probably is, that people will use GOG to make managing multiple labraries easier, and in the result will end up buying some of the games from them - there might be a conflict of interest with steam, but still GOG has small fraction of their library, and gets many titles with a delay. 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-07-02-ea-i-struggle-with-the-perception-that-were-just-a-bunch-of-bad-guys#

"25 years at EA and I still struggle with the external perception that we're just a bunch of bad guys," says Matt Bilbey, EVP of strategic growth at EA. "We love making and playing games. Unfortunately, when we make mistakes on games, the world knows about it because it's of a size and scale."

Is funny to have people view EA as a truly evil corporation, as opposed to something like Nestle or something that has more serious effects 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Is funny to have people view EA as a truly evil corporation, as opposed to something like Nestle or something that has more serious effects 😛

I don't know much about Nestle. The thing about hobbies, is that it is something people get attached to, and are very protective about. Funny thing about things like music, movies or games, is that while they are objectively less important then more basic things, I am more emotionally attached to them as I consume them volountary. I recharge my batteries that way, I look forward to playing a good game, watch a movie or go to a good concert. While, for example food, is just a chore. I have to eat to keep going. So I eat stuff. 

So yeah, if someone poops into my happy time it does upset me. More so, then someone pooping into my chore. I am at the stage of not caring anymore, and finding it more and more difficult to find something to play, and am spending more and more of my free time on other things. If they can't figure out why their public perception is so bad, then maybe a change in management is needed.

• Like 2

EA isn't even on the same order of magnitude of evil of Monsanto. That corporation is on some James Bond villain ****.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-07-02-ea-i-struggle-with-the-perception-that-were-just-a-bunch-of-bad-guys#

"25 years at EA and I still struggle with the external perception that we're just a bunch of bad guys," says Matt Bilbey, EVP of strategic growth at EA. "We love making and playing games. Unfortunately, when we make mistakes on games, the world knows about it because it's of a size and scale."

25 years ago was a time when you could go to your favorite game shop, see a box with EA's logo on it and buy it without a second thought. Well, most of the time. I think Shaq Fu came out in 1994 and whilte that was some evil shice EA's bad reputation be tracked to much more recent, ah, incidents, and while it has everything to do with mistakes it isn't exactly about making them as much as it is about how they reacted to them - and repeating the process over and over again.

Not that I disagree that EA's bad guy reputation is way overblown. It's not like they're poisoning the environment, absuing child slave labor or bringing out products that actively harm people. Again, except Shaq Fu. Heh. :p

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I don't know much about Nestle.

Nestlé are comically evil. Everything from Child Slavery- but not really because they don't know about it, honest, it's just a supplier issue- to sending out generous sample packs of baby milk formula to new mothers that coincidentally last just long enough that the mother will stop expressing milk herself. This, amazingly, means that the mother has to buy baby formula from then on. They also stack the literature with tame articles extolling the benefits of their formula over natural milk (there actually aren't any, for most people). But wait there's more, but at least it's more typical corporate shenanigans.

While I certainly do understand that trivial proximal concerns tend to get attention- not like I'm storming Nestlè's corporate HQ in Auckland or anything rather than taking two minutes to write on the internet either- that sort of thing is why people laugh at gamers when they stack the voting to make EA the worst company in the US because of Origin or the ME3 ending or women in WW1 or whatever instead of the Bank of Americas/ Nestlès and Monsanto (now, technically, Bayer IIRC) of the world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Now I just wish, that Morgoth would be still around...

Video is NSFW - when you are so ****, than the developers rather ask people to pirate their games, than to buy from you...

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

13 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Nestlé are comically evil. Everything from Child Slavery- but not really because they don't know about it, honest, it's just a supplier issue- to sending out generous sample packs of baby milk formula to new mothers that coincidentally last just long enough that the mother will stop expressing milk herself. This, amazingly, means that the mother has to buy baby formula from then on. They also stack the literature with tame articles extolling the benefits of their formula over natural milk (there actually aren't any, for most people). But wait there's more, but at least it's more typical corporate shenanigans.

While I certainly do understand that trivial proximal concerns tend to get attention- not like I'm storming Nestlè's corporate HQ in Auckland or anything rather than taking two minutes to write on the internet either- that sort of thing is why people laugh at gamers when they stack the voting to make EA the worst company in the US because of Origin or the ME3 ending or women in WW1 or whatever instead of the Bank of Americas/ Nestlès and Monsanto (now, technically, Bayer IIRC) of the world.

The fact that Bayer and Monsanto were allowed to merge blew my mind, and not in a good way.

I guess we should just accept that we're ****ed and playing video games until we drop doesn't sound so bad as a way of getting away from reality, so EA (and the rest of them) better not mess with my video games too! ;)

Edited by marelooke

Also, very good video on addiction mechanics, which are put deliberately into games, to make people spending more and more and more. Also including excerpts of the Let’s go Whaling presentation, which was on some developer conference and was about the various kinds of manipulative exploitations, which get’s the money from your pockets the easiest way (including social bullying...)

maybe it will show you some reasons, while these companies should be considered as evil corporations as well, even if they are not on the level of Monsanto and Nestlè...

Even if you do not like Jim Sterling, this one is worth watching...

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

31 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

Also, very good video on addiction mechanics, which are put deliberately into games, to make people spending more and more and more. Also including excerpts of the Let’s go Whaling presentation, which was on some developer conference and was about the various kinds of manipulative exploitations, which get’s the money from your pockets the easiest way (including social bullying...)

No kidding. I started to do some teaching in a primary school, and I was a bit shocked when I found out that all the kids are talking about is Fortnight and skins. I started to really look differently at lootboxes since then, especially knowing how impulsive and impatient those little chumps are. 

While lootboxes don't effect me, personally, unless they mess with gameplay, and therefore interfere with my enjoyment, but I am not the target audience/victim. I am quite far from having an addictive personality, and "pulling the lever" had never had any appeal to me. Opening lootbox irritates me, not excites. I would put myself very firmly in "if you fall for it you are dumb", but I simply don't understand the appeal/addiction. 

• Hmmm 1

Pretty sure that the only reason why the usual suspects don't employ child labor is that there aren't many child programmers to hire.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

36 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Pretty sure that the only reason why the usual suspects don't employ child labor is that there aren't many child programmers to hire.

Give it 10 years.

From asking about it does seem that EA's evil is just them fleecing gamers (although one told me their marketing was akin to mind control...).  I guess the thinking is they're like cigarette companies peddling addictive wares - minus the causing death and all.

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

They happily use the readily available alternative though: low wage countries.

46 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Give it 10 years.

From asking about it does seem that EA's evil is just them fleecing gamers (although one told me their marketing was akin to mind control...).  I guess the thinking is they're like cigarette companies peddling addictive wares - minus the causing death and all.

Encouraging addictive behaviour isn't exactly harmless either, and arguably leads to deaths as well.

Edited by marelooke