Hello, it's been a while. It's time I returned to this game, and I've decided to do a potd playthrough with an Ascendant MC.

So, the title holds the first concern. Can I (or should I) build a single class Ascendant? The level 8-9 abilities, both passive and active, look pretty enticing to me. But I also can't ignore the fact that going multi would have some great benefits.

Either way, I'd like some advice on gear and play style. For weapon choice I was thinking maybe go for the Essence Interrupter, as I can get it early on, is fast, and it can be quite powerful when fully upgraded.

Looking forward to reading your opinions.

Multi-classed ascendant will generate focus faster in the early-mid game. While single-classed ascendant needs Time Parasite on multiple targets, in order to have a chance to compete with Clear Out and Eliminating Blow. 

On the other hand, once ascended and starting to spam powers, sc-ascendant will have an upper hand due to Time Parasite, Shared Nightmare and slightly higher PL, which are kinda better than +15 accuracy a psyblade could get (+5 PER from barrage, +10 acc from Conqueror stance).

So it comes to this:

- if you want to get to max focus faster in like first 75% part of the game, and  you gonna spam rank 7- powers; and especially want to capitalize on Mind Blades spam (which will make your early game much easier), go for multi-classing.

- if not; and especially if you need those high-level powers (and have some other party-members that will make your early game a cakewalk), go for single-class.

P.S. Arquebusses are arguably stronger than Essence Interrupter vs enemies that are not immune to pierce damage. Specifically you can start the fight with a Dragon's Dowry shot from stealth -> shoot again -> quick switch to Red Hand -> shoot with Red Hand -> deactivate arquebuss modal -> shoot with Red Hand. And you are most likely at max focus by now, in just 5 seconds. And once ascended state has expired, Red Hand will still provide a better steady dps than Essence Interrupter, because it skips every second reload, and 6.8/2 < 4.0s. And there is a bonus synergy with Acina's Tricorn.

Edited by MaxQuest

1 hour ago, MaxQuest said:

P.S. Arquebusses are arguably stronger than Essence Interrupter vs enemies that are not immune to pierce damage. Specifically you can start the fight with a Dragon's Dowry shot from stealth -> shoot again -> quick switch to Red Hand -> shoot with Red Hand -> deactivate arquebuss modal -> shoot with Red Hand. And you are most likely at max focus by now, in just 5 seconds. And once ascended state has expired, Red Hand will still provide a better steady dps than Essence Interrupter, because it skips every second reload, and 6.8/2 < 4.0s. And there is a bonus synergy with Acina's Tricorn.

I really hate fighting undead with arquebuses. Any alternative for them I can switch to?

1 hour ago, dunehunter said:

Depends on if you plan to solo or not. I think Chanter/Ascendant is very powerful for soloing, since u can summon meatshield and generate focus, spam CC and aoe behind tanks.

Party. Which chanter subclass?

1 hour ago, Vaneglorious said:

Party. Which chanter subclass?

Troubadour or Beckoner are generally the way to go for a ranged-and-summons Chanter.  Skald and Bellower aren't ideal summoners and really lend themselves to melee (which you probably don't want for Ascendant due to interrupt risk), and the use case for a base class Chanter over a Troubadour is really narrow. 

Edited by Enoch

Never forget Reaping Knives on SC Ascendant (if playing with a party)! This plus Time Siphon means very high attack speed and nearly always full focus, ascending you. Also very potent with Soul Blade. Just imagine you buddy fighter generating tons of focus for you with his Clear Out while you can concentrate on spamming those speed spells.

I would go SC - also the best passives (Shared Nightmare and so on *drool*). But it is true that a multiclass is more effective in the early to mid game due to faster focus generation.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

9 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Never forget Reaping Knives on SC Ascendant (if playing with a party)! This plus Time Siphon means very high attack speed and nearly always full focus, ascending you. Also very potent with Soul Blade. Just imagine you buddy fighter generating tons of focus for you with his Clear Out while you can concentrate on spamming those speed spells.

I would go SC - also the best passives (Shared Nightmare and so on *drool*). But it is true that a multiclass is more effective in the early to mid game due to faster focus generation.

I normally would go multi, but the AL8-9 actives and passives look pretty good to me. Cipher was my favorite class in PoE1, they seem to have changed a lot in Deadfire. Do you play with any mods btw? Do you think the game needs some sort of community patch, or is it good as it is? I know some subclasses are pretty bad.

I only use the Enhanced UI mod - so none that alters the game mechanics.

I am participating in the upcoming Community Patch though - since now all hope is lost that Obsidian themselves will adress some issues that I think could be done better (such as Backstab, several passives, Arcane Archer's imbue spell scaling and so on). It will also introduce unique icons for all passive abilites (purely cosmetic) and also trinkets for Priests and Druids since they suffer from "spell choice railroading" syndrome - unlike the Wizard who has his grimoires (which are trinkets as well).

I wouldn't say that any subclass is "pretty bad". There are some that could use a slight buff - like Shattered Pillar which got nerfed a bit too much or Mage Slayer which never got buffed enough. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods