Character(s) based on your own personality or parts of your personality

Hello,

I always like to RP more than finding the most effective build or builds. I can't enjoy the game unless I at least see shades of what I would do in Eora in all of my created characters.

I'll give an example, I have a case of so far undiagnosed OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder with a lot of peculiar things) for example I must know where all parts are of a certain puzzle or something and I need to count them daily or that I need to have things in a certain order or fitting a certain type(hencewhy the specific builds I request). 

Anyway this fits with the goldpact Paladin.

Then I can become a bit extremely hyper so that I just charge at whatever my impulses tell me this fits a berserker barbarian.

Also i've been bullied about 10 years straight and this made me a bit sad and depressed so whenever I feel sad I become quiet as a rogue for example.

Do any of you have something like this? I am also fond of picking voices that fit the character my favorites are Male: Stoic, Noble & Smooth Female: Sinister & Kind.

You sound more like  Fury Shaper Barbarian since they are defined by past trauma. That would combine the directness you mentioned as well as the trauma.

Note that Goldpact Knights have aggressive and passionate as disfavoured reactions, which might conflict with your stated impulsiveness.

When I started playing RPGs I would pretty much try to recreate myself (at least visually, albeit modify stats to be likable, smart and at least somewhat competent in combat). I used to play RPGs doing things I would do, rather then thinking about role-playing: creating a character and figuring out what they would do. There were only few games which made me behave in a way, I can't imagine I would: Fallout1&2 and Gothic. 

It actually made me not enjoy Obsidian's RPGs for quite a while - going from KOTOR1 when making good choices was easy, into KOTOR2 when my choice were turned against me was rough. Obsidian games felt to me unnecessary dark, and I thought they are simply bad at setting up stories. What I didn't understand is that creating a character with his personaity and goals was my job, not theirs. 

Probably a turning point for me were Witcher games. As I was familiar with the books and Geralt as a character, I tended to play as him. After first Pillars of Eternity was crowdfunded I was scepting if it will be any good, because in my mind Obsidian was more of a Bioware wannabe, and only one game of theirs I enjoyed up to this point was NWN2. Anyway, awaiting PoE release, I decided to give Obsidian's games a go and made my way through their catalog and saw their games in a new light. I found that their games work really good, if you attempt to roleplay. Who would have thought. 

That said, still I like for my "main" PC to have some similarity to me. I wouldn't pick a deranged, evil character for my first playthrough, for example. The biggest challenged for me is not not meta-game: make decision based on what items I want, or not wanting to skip fights. For example in first PoE I killed Llengrath purely because I didn't want to skip the fight, even though my character wouldn't do that. 

43 minutes ago, Jayd said:

You sound more like  Fury Shaper Barbarian since they are defined by past trauma. That would combine the directness you mentioned as well as the trauma.

Note that Goldpact Knights have aggressive and passionate as disfavoured reactions, which might conflict with your stated impulsiveness.

OCD is for one character. And Impulsiveness for another. So that I can feel familiar with an entire party and without them all being the same exact character.

16 hours ago, MikeMikeMikeMikeMike said:

Also i've been bullied about 10 years straight and this made me a bit sad and depressed so whenever I feel sad I become quiet as a rogue for example.

Sorry to hear that.

Regarding silence: I think a cipher or shieldbearer could also fit this. Also priest of Scaen.

16 hours ago, MikeMikeMikeMikeMike said:

Character(s) based on your own personality or parts of your personality

Do any of you have something like this? 

Yes. My main character is partially based on my internal personality, but with a few additional shifts:

- one towards being more stoic, quick and steedfast . Plus feeling slight satisfaction and bittersweet every time I do resort to using force, provided that diplomacy and jokes have failed. I treat the character as basically immortal, and do opt for a strong combat build, so it's smirk and carnage.

- being more inclined towards world exploration, and getting into the right place at the wrong time

- depending on class, the character may be felt as bit more sly, academic, furious, erudite, inventive, etc.

Edited by MaxQuest

30 minutes ago, MaxQuest said:

Sorry to hear that.

Regarding silence: I think a cipher or shieldbearer could also fit this. Also priest of Scaen.

Yes. My main character is partially based on my internal personality, but with a few additional shifts:

- one towards being more stoic, quick and steedfast . Plus feeling slight satisfaction and bittersweet every time I do resort to using force, provided that diplomacy and jokes have failed. I treat the character as basically immortal, and do opt for a strong combat build, so it's smirk and carnage.

- being more inclined towards world exploration, and getting into the right place at the wrong time

- depending on class, the character may be felt as bit more sly, academic, furious, erudite, inventive, etc.

I'd like to think it has made me stronger it made part of me a survivor that blocks out own feelings and emotions so that I can be strong for others when they need me. Especially useful in tough situations like the death of a relative etc.

I think trauma has divided my personality in 5 parts (modes more like it I don't believe schizophrenia is a real thing) all with their own uses and in every game I always try to reproduce the same 5 just different races genders etc.(to make it more RPG like). This might be why i've probably annoyed most of you with my spamming of starting threads int his forum.

4 hours ago, MikeMikeMikeMikeMike said:

I'd like to think it has made me stronger it made part of me a survivor that blocks out own feelings and emotions so that I can be strong for others when they need me. 

I think trauma has divided my personality in 5 parts (modes more like it I don't believe schizophrenia is a real thing) all with their own uses and in every game I always try to reproduce the same 5 just different races genders etc.(to make it more RPG like). This might be why i've probably annoyed most of you with my spamming of starting threads int his forum.

Part of me thinks the next step would be becoming strong enough that you no longer really need 'to close' as a defensive mechanism, and neither block your feelings (unless you want it at that moment).

It reminds me of: for different tasks - different tools may be more suiting.

For a creative task you want to be more creative/inventive. For deep analysis - more thoughtful. For emergency - faster-thinking, as a faster half-working solution might be better than a good solution which is too late. 

It's a nice ability if you can shift between them, and remain in the Flow if needed.

This might be why i've probably annoyed most of you with my spamming of starting threads int his forum.

Well, I was curious, why do you need those builds. Since it's mildly interesting what drives people, if they have less-usual preferences. Now I know.

Edited by MaxQuest

1 hour ago, MaxQuest said:

Part of me thinks the next step would be becoming strong enough that you no longer really need 'to close' as a defensive mechanism, and neither block your feelings (unless you want it at that moment).

It reminds me of: for different tasks - different tools may be more suiting.

For a creative task you want to be more creative/inventive. For deep analysis - more thoughtful. For emergency - faster-thinking, as a faster half-working solution might be better than a good solution which is too late. 

It's a nice ability if you can shift between them, and remain in the Flow if needed.

Well, I was curious, why do you need those builds. Since it's mildly interesting what drives people, if they have less-usual preferences. Now I know.

I can not always control them fully but the parts prefer different things like ocd side likes math and anything number related(hencewhy i rarely ever forget an important number). 
I don't think that this harsh world will ever make not need a mode to turn off emotions to protect myself. Too much bad in this world mate. All 5 parts of my personality are needed and work in unison kind of on a rotating wheel. Sometimes they start on themselves because of tasks I need to do or sometimes I can initiate them by starting to do something that suits the personality parts talents.

31 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Schizophrenia and Multiple Personality Disorder are two completely different things.

Both are very real things though.

I find schizophrenia more believable than multiple personality disorder since in the psychological circles the original "proof" is still a bit vague and being regarded as a therapist and a patient teaming up to make money while it not actually being true. Also I find it hard to prove and hard to believe that someone can split into sometimes up to 20 different personalities. How would you ever prove that? If you know some facts that I don't do tell me. I can be sold on schizophrenia but not on multiple personality disorder. I studied psychology for 1,5 year so I know a little bit about some facts but by far not all. Would love to hear anything I missed though?

Thanks for starting this thread, Mike, and sharing your experience and approach. I appreciate learning how others think about creating characters and how personal that is for most of us.

I create characters based on a play style preference that is a reflection of my personality (more defensive and passive oriented with lower micro and risk needed), and I usually end up making choices from a similar place - benevolent, rule following, trying for the best outcome, looking for harmony between all competing interests. It's been fun to try on characters that make different choices, but that takes some work and sometimes is hard to sustain. I have also appreciated some of the challenge PoE has given my instincts. There is never a "right" path that is without compromise or conflict. Siding with the Huana my first play through of Deadfire was a great experience to frustrate that instinct in me. 

RE: Multiple Personality Disorder - my .02 based on some reading and personal relationships with therapists and clinicians - personality disorders are very complicated and are usually critically different than what you see represented in media (and most common diagnoses are not represented much - like Borderline Personality Disorder). The clinical diagnosis that most closely resembles multiple personality disorder is Dissociative Identity Disorder, and it's controversial, but there isn't as much a debate on if the person is really having an experience or not, more so how to accurately describe what's actually happening for folks diagnosed with this. 

9 hours ago, Ivanfyodorovich said:

Thanks for starting this thread, Mike, and sharing your experience and approach. I appreciate learning how others think about creating characters and how personal that is for most of us.

I create characters based on a play style preference that is a reflection of my personality (more defensive and passive oriented with lower micro and risk needed), and I usually end up making choices from a similar place - benevolent, rule following, trying for the best outcome, looking for harmony between all competing interests. It's been fun to try on characters that make different choices, but that takes some work and sometimes is hard to sustain. I have also appreciated some of the challenge PoE has given my instincts. There is never a "right" path that is without compromise or conflict. Siding with the Huana my first play through of Deadfire was a great experience to frustrate that instinct in me. 

RE: Multiple Personality Disorder - my .02 based on some reading and personal relationships with therapists and clinicians - personality disorders are very complicated and are usually critically different than what you see represented in media (and most common diagnoses are not represented much - like Borderline Personality Disorder). The clinical diagnosis that most closely resembles multiple personality disorder is Dissociative Identity Disorder, and it's controversial, but there isn't as much a debate on if the person is really having an experience or not, more so how to accurately describe what's actually happening for folks diagnosed with this. 

10 hours ago, Boeroer said:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0039279

It basically says that you can determine if somebody fakes that disorder or not - with neurobiology. 

You two have definately given me a huge update and a lot to read to confront my own ignorance perhaps. Thank you to the both of you for enlightening me on this subject. I will definately look into the matter more closely.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Most mature post of today - and I guess at least of the whole next week, too.

Not that I generally dislike immature stuff... just saying. ;)

Facts don't lie and i think its important to admit one's own ignorance and mistakes when faced with them, it seperates us from the stubborn racism, sexism etc. Also it's important to set the right example, especially since certain gaming communities moba, shooters etc have a rather toxic attitude and atmosphere.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, MaxQuest said:

Sorry to hear that.

Honestly I have an entire detailed document dedicated to self analysis. Trying to understand and be aware of both strengths and weaknesses and to accentuate the strengths ofcourse.

• Like 1