Good Old Games still good

On 1/23/2020 at 11:10 AM, melkathi said:

Don't bits always come in multiples of 8?

Only when you got bytes full of bits... very old processors were 4 bit (no kidding, try googling the TMS 1000 from the 70's)

The thing about bits is, they are sort of binary and completely self sufficient individuals... or not 😝

The 8 bit legacy is still very much a thing and like the metric standard for dimensions, one of those things that are just ubiquitous in the wold of computing.

Edit: I remember having to do math in Octal numbers in Computer Science back in University... that's 3 bit numbers

Edit2: Just because Melkathi distracted me, shoo!

Playing a lot of Tomb Raider and Master of Orion 2 these days... GOG is a heaven sent for those of us who like the older classics. If I could just get my Saitek Flight Stick and Throttle out of storage and hooked up to my PC, I would be all over X-Wing vs. TIe Fighter again... haven't really played it for ages.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

All three Dishonored games arrived at GOG!!!

https://www.gog.com/game/dishonored_complete_collection

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ComradeMaster said:

Dishonored is a fairly old game.  If your PC can't run it than it shouldn't be that expensive for a significant upgrade lmao.

Dishonored 2. I am currently using laptop, so upgrade would probably mean building new PC.

Dishonored 2 has performance issues, though. The maps are so big and full with stuff that I am not surprised if even modern machines start to struggle at times. Death of the Outsider on the other hand should run much better again.

• Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I am thinking about getting some turn based strategy game. I am split about Age of wonders 3, endless legend or Age of wonders planetfall? Anyone can tell me which one is the best of these? Or any other suggestion similar to these?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

8 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

I am thinking about getting some turn based strategy game. I am split about Age of wonders 3, endless legend or Age of wonders planetfall? Anyone can tell me which one is the best of these? Or any other suggestion similar to these?

I have a biased opinion perhaps. I used to playtest for Amplitude. Endless Legend is their only game I dislike 😛

Endless Legend has more interesting, races, and playing each of them differs from playing the other races. It has a narrative victory condition on top of the usual victory conditions, where you finish your faction quest line.

My problem with the game is that it is extremely slow to get going. A friend among the people who playtested it extensively told me the game does not really start until after turn 100.

Age of Wonders 3 diverged from previous Age of Wonders games by giving you two choices during commander creation: race and class. Your race dictates your starting city and race relations, though later you can, as always, absorb any race's cities into your empire and train units of those races. It also affects some resistances and possibly weaknesses for your commander. Your class is more important, as it will lock in your class specific units and spells. These class units can then be of any race you have a city (with the required buildings) of. So if you are a Warlord, in a goblin city you can train a goblin phalanx, in an orc city an orc phalanx.You also choose some specializations, such as fire mastery, for extra research (spells etc).

Different classes do play differently (especially the mage and druid, who use a lot of summoned units), while race is mostly a flavour choice. The greatest problem here is that the game allows for tier 3 unit stacks of doom - spam your best unit and fill your armies with it. Once you raced to that, there is no point recruiting anything else.

Age of Wonders Planetfall is in a way Age of Wonders 3 in a sci fi setting. It does a lot different though. They fixed a number of things in tactical combat that hadn't worked out in 3. They also changed the way cities grow.  The maps are split into many sectors, and as cities grow, they take over sectors (max size 5). Planning your cities becomes  a bit more involved, at the same time you loose the freedom you had when you were choosing the exact spot for your city. Planetfall adds garrisons to your cities for the first time in the series, so you don't have to keep defensive armies everywhere. The tech tree has been split and brought in line with other 4X games. It was extremely boring due to being bloated with loads of techs that just slowed down research progress without being interesting (your food production increases by 1... yay...). They have started addressing such issues with updates.

Race choice is a bit more important, as it affects your initial tech tree (though you can unlock tech trees of other races that join your empire). While each class comes with it's own secret project - all secret projects requiring you to build the specific class building 3 times and then lasting for 10 turns...

On low difficulties the AI in Planetfall is not aggressive at all, so the game can become boring.

Melkathi is a forum regular and big time fan of the Age of Wonders series as well as Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless. According to steam he has 133 hours in Age of Wonders Planetfall, 273 hours in Age of Wonders 3, but only just over 20 hours in Endless Legend. When not posting Mordheim screenshots, he is known to sometimes post relevant replies.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I have 200+ hours clocked in Endless Space 2. It's a bit like Stellaris, but without game-breaking performance issues and brain-dead AI.

They did drop the ball with the last handful of DLCs, though.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

52 minutes ago, 213374U said:

I have 200+ hours clocked in Endless Space 2. It's a bit like Stellaris, but without game-breaking performance issues and brain-dead AI.

They did drop the ball with the last handful of 1DLCs, though.

There is supposed to be new DLC for Stellaris on 17th which should improve both AI and performance, but we have yet to see

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, marelooke said:

Warhammer sale on Gog, this means you heathens who still haven't played Mordheim: City of the Damned can now make up for your sins for cheap!

now i have to get it on gog because i have it on steam without DLCs... also I bought 2 days ago AoW 3 for full price, now its 80% down... Also Stellaris is 75% down if someone still dont have it, it will get massive update next week as well

Edited by Chilloutman

If you get Leviathans, Utopia, Synthetic Dawn, Distant Stars (most of these for the extra events and "story" beats) you should be good. Haven't gotten Ancient Relics and Federations isn't out yet so can't comment on those.

I don't know if the extra songs are in patches or if you need the DLC for them but SD is worth it just for the music: 

Then again the whole OST is amazing.

Edited by Oner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oner said:

Then again the whole OST is amazing.

Hell yeah. I'm going to add Apocalypse because of my favorite Stellaris track (Synthetic God is a close second though):

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

there is something futuristic about synthwave and its mesmerizing. Original gods of synth ofc:

• Like 1