Does anyone know of a way to change from turn based to RTwP in the middle of a playthrough? I didn't expect for it to be such an insane slog and I feel like falling asleep each battle. I'd guess there probably isn't a way, but I doubt I'll last much longer in this mode and would like to salvage this playthrough if possible.

Did you already use the speed slider at the bottom of the center UI element where you can also pause the game, check the time of day or switch between normal/fast mode for gameplay/party movement?

There is this little slider at the bottom when you are in combat that you can put to the far right for accelerated turns (attacks/animations get executed faster). Turn-based will always be slower than RTwP, of course, but I wouldn't call it an overly excessive slog in 'fast' combat mode.

Edited by Moriendor

Yeah, I almost always use max speed. The issue here is that the number of enemies weren't tailored for turn based, so even at max speed you have 10 or more enemies moving, many times from far away, and battles can last a very, very long time. Much longer than they should. For example, I had nearly 100% all of the content done (DLC included) with RTwP around 80 hours, but at 80 hours now with turn based and I'm probably only 50% done, maybe less, lol. It's just getting tedious and boring. Thanks for the inputs though, I'll probably just abandon the run.

Note that I do like turn based games and can spend a lot of time on a playthrough without getting bored (eg spent 130 hours on a single D:OS 2 run). Maybe more tactical options (edit: positioning or environment) would help in keeping the combat fresh in turn based (or less enemies).

Edited by mychal26

You should be able to do it via console, but the caveat is that switching is the sort of thing that hasn't been extensively tested, so you're on your own with any unpredictable results.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Console#SetTacticalMode

The console command you're looking for is SetTacticalMode, and it does not require cheats to be enabled to swap between RTwP and Turn-Based.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

You should be able to do it via console, but the caveat is that switching is the sort of thing that hasn't been extensively tested, so you're on your own with any unpredictable results.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Console#SetTacticalMode

The console command you're looking for is SetTacticalMode, and it does not require cheats to be enabled to swap between RTwP and Turn-Based.

Wow, that worked! Thanks so much!!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Really? Huh...  If a command console was enough to simply switch between modes, then I am surprised it wasn't implimented as a feature. 

The explanation I'm going with is that RTwP is the game's core play mode, and TB mode was added with the expectation that it would not interfere, or cause additional bugs with RTwP. 

You can switch by console, but being able to freely change between the two with an official setting in the options menu is something that would have required a lot of QA, and that wasn't really in the remaining scope of the project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2