Lets Get Political

Amentep

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/us/eddie-gallagher-navy-seal-trial/index.html?no-st=1561139939

SEALs will end up like the Canadian Airborne some day with the way they seem to operate.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm sure Trump could make Iran pay for the drone... with tariffs :shifty:

But seriously, retaliatory strikes seem premature. I'm in agreement that they need to build a case and get international support before they start killing people and my snide opening remark aside, I wouldn't doubt that could get more than enough money from them somehow. Seems better than yet another war.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Well its not like they shoot down civilian aircraft with 300 people on board like Ukraine separatists with big help from Russian AA systems...

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

18 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

It's just HoonDing being his typical Edgey self.

Hide contents

Or alternatively his typical Bonoey self- it's U2 wreckage from 1960, it looks like it's in a museum because it is in a museum.

I have to say Hoonding makes me laugh because of his studious attempts to be controversial and provocative 

For example when he said the UK needs more Muslim members of parliament and he would vote for a Muslim representative....no he wouldnt :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Volourn said:

So, nothing burger? A 'cocnerned' neigherbour called the cops, cops came, and left. I bet there was some yelling. LMAO

It certainly sounds like a nothingburger since no charges were pressed, but from other articles, it sounds like a heck of a spat. Even if nothing came of it, it's the last thing he needs right now while being under heightened scrutiny.

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

"US government blocks League of Legends in Syria and Iran amid escalating tensions"

Nice to see Trump following through on his promise to Make Iran Great Again so quickly. Though he probably thinks it would make Gamers Rise Up or something.

That article is slightlu confusing at first as it sounds like the US government arbitrarily blocked it for no apparent reason other than to deprive Iran of things. But reading it a bit a few sounds like it's a side effect of sanctions being applied and the government isn't directly trying (or perhaps intending) to do this.

1 minute ago, ShadySands said:

Seems an odd thing that the government can do and I'm fairly certain it's not a good thing

Poor Katphood

It sounds like it's second or third order in the chain of side effects rather than the government directly deciding to block League of Legends specifically. It'd be far from the only industry or game affected, it's just particularily notable to us because we're all gamers here.

It certainly sounds odd, but given how broad these sanctions are, the government likely doesn't know the full effects of all of it.

A lot of games are already 'blocked' in Syria or Iran (more usually it's purchases that are blocked, not the game itself, iirc that's the situation with Blizzard.net for example). It's 100% due to sanctions in general with the companies doing so 'voluntarily' to comply with the sanctions and not due to Trump pitching a fit about drones getting shot down. Neither steam nor GOG are effected and if you downloaded GOG games there isn't anything the US government could do about it anyway. If you can route the transactions through Europe and avoid the USD you're theoretically fine as a game distributor. That's not an option for all, especially those US based.

The article is clickbait, basically.

It's a bit of a silly thing to get at all upset about gaming though when you have genuine issues like pharmaceutical companies refusing to sell Syria or Iran medicines because they're frightened of US secondary sanctions (which shouldn't apply to medicines and the like; but US application of secondary sanctions is seen by pretty much everyone outside the US as utterly arbitrary stand over tactics, and a way to extort money off of foreign companies).

Edited by Zoraptor

On 6/22/2019 at 8:57 AM, Chilloutman said:

Well its not like they shoot down civilian aircraft with 300 people on board like Ukraine separatists with big help from Russian AA systems...

No, the Americans have that market cornered in this region (USS Vincennes managed to shoot down an Airbus A300 with 290 people on board before it could release it's torpedoes against it, or whatever was the official Pentagon explanation at the time)

As for the actual drone in question, the picture isn't particularly credible, because it just looks way too small to be the downed drone:

"Global Hawks are massive surveillance platforms, in operation since 2001, with a wingspan of more than 130 feet and a maximum takeoff weight of more than 16 tons, equivalent to roughly seven shipping containers of cocaine. "

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Shipping containers of cocaine seems an odd unit for weight, since the drone was supposed to be military rather than CIA.

The drone's size is a bit misleading, while it's roughly the same wingspan as a 737 its max weight is 1/3 that of a 737MAX's empty weight despite having vastly longer flight time and range than the 737. The picture HoonDing posted was of U-2 wreckage from Gary Power's 1960 shootdown, not of the drone, and it's literally on display in a Moscow museum. There has been even less wreckage recovered of the drone, not surprising since it fell into water instead of onto land (and I'd suspect had some sort of self destruct built in as well) or alternatively, not surprising since it wasn't shot down where Iran said it was. I don't think there's been any serious dispute it is drone wreckage though.

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

or whatever was the official Pentagon explanation at the time

It was a F-14 making an attack dive was the initial explanation. Which to be fair- more than they really deserve in the circumstances*- the crew genuinely did appear to believe since there was a news crew aboard and filming at the time, by coincidence, and there was no suggestion that they knew what they were shooting at.

(The AEGIS operator was poorly trained/ incompetent (probably poorly trained) and the system badly designed such that he had the IFF/ transponder of a F-14 on the ground at Bandar Abbas selected and associated with the A300's despite it having its own civilian transponder on, the captain was a prize knob who had already entered Iranian waters against orders and under somewhat murky circumstances (a helicopter was either shot at or 'shot at' by a speedboat and he used Hot Pursuit justification) and the crew had Scenario Fulfillment probably based on the captain being an overly aggressive prize knob which made them 'see' a slow moving and climbing airliner become a fast moving diving fighter because... that's what they expected to see)

*Both AEGIS operator Scott Lustig and Capt Will Rogers III got medals from the USN for their conduct on the day, lest we forget.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:13 AM, Gfted1 said:

Every one of those senators should be immediately stripped of their duties and permanently barred from holding office again.

those who defy the word o' almighty trump should be censured. nay. they should be horsewhipped and driven naked through the streets so that their shame should be lasting and public. this is the gospel. learn it lest ye too might suffer.

all hail the trump!

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

those who defy the word o' almighty trump should be censured. nay. they should be horsewhipped and driven naked through the streets so that their shame should be lasting and public. this is the gospel. learn it lest ye too might suffer.

all hail the trump!

HA! Good Fun!

Imo, you shouldn't put so much of your faith into Trump, hes a clown. 🤡

But Im totally down for horsewhipping people that run from their duties. :yes:

51 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Imo, you shouldn't put so much of your faith into Trump, hes a clown. 🤡

But Im totally down for horsewhipping people that run from their duties. :yes:

representing their constituents is their first duty. 

one wonders what other vital legislation is being ignored during this time, but if you got outnumbered senators from rural districts representing the folks who will be the people who disproportionate pay the functional tax resulting from legislation in question, people who is already having difficulty paying current taxes, their options for resisting is limited. sure, the senators could sit meek and silent and take their lumps, but such don't help their constituents.

quorum busting has a long history. can't say 'bout oregon, but in 1988 (?) senator packwood were carried into the chambers by capitol police to achieve quorum. first time it happened in history o' capitol that a member were forced to make an appearance. more than 200 years o' quorum busting efforts w/o need resort to such tactics. time honored tradition. didn't need resort to horse whippings. the thing is, given increased national polarization, am suspecting oregon is not gonna be last state where we see such, and is gonna be interesting to see what happens when roles is reversed.

tyranny o' the majority is always a danger in even our modern democracy. were worse in original democracies wherein every vote and trial were political theatre. even so, folks in oregon don't feel like they need bother with negotiations, 'cause they don't. thanks to gerrymandering and polarization, is easy to ignore and even punish those in a political minority by use o' democratic process. am personal supporting climate change legislation, but the oregon legislature is dumping the costs on folks least able to pay 'cause those folks is not gonna vote with the majority.  

the newish militia threat? now that deserves a horse whipping. if a minority group can't get honest input and consideration because the democratic process is rigged, am in favor o' creative means o' protest and resistance, but thin veiled threats o' violence is 'bout as blunt and uncreative as is possible to imagine. 'course those threats came after your post so am not giving you the benefit o' the doubt on those. nevertheless, we would agree that the minority senators should public condemn the militia threats in no uncertain terms. 

legislators running out on the legislature to protest tyranny o' the majority? these guys know the legal ramifications o' their efforts. oregon could try and impose harsher penalties on quorum busting gamesmanship, but they need a quorum for that too.

regardless, in increasing polarized states such as indiana and alabama, states where the majority looks much different, we would be less than shocked if similar tactics is utilized to resist the tyranny o' the majority. regardless, history makes clear oregon won't be last place it happens. am actual hoping it happens more often so that polarization and gerrymandering issues final get attention they deserve. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)