Let's get into politics
Let me hear your party talk, your party talk
Let me hear your party talk🎶

Old thread:

First post

Last Post:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

well, as this new incarnation is the now requisite musical episode found in series

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Uh, I thought you guys didn’t need to create a new thread every 30 pages or so because of a forum bug that doesn’t exist anymore?

Software may change but bureaucracy is forever!

• Like 4

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Found another article on the whole Austria dumpster fire. For those who didn't care to bypass the FT paywall.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/strache-caught-on-camera-in-ibiza-secret-recordings-a-1267959.html

Interesting, because it raises the possibility of illegal financing, which may lead to prison time for someone, at some point, if the allegations turn out to be true.

Gotta love his fixation on everything being very legal & very cool, though I wonder to what extent it's an example of the "lawful = ethical" mindset that is so widespread or just plain fear of criminal penalties.

edit: guess Majestic previously discussed the illegal party financing matter, and that apparently carries some fines at worst. No big deal. I just assumed it was potentially more problematic because we have jail sentences for illegal party financing here, under some circumstances.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

37 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Software may change but bureaucracy is forever!

Also I imagine you guys need to justify the high  salaries you get  for being Moderators and maintaining thread length is part of your work  :-

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, 213374U said:

edit: guess Majestic previously discussed the illegal party financing matter, and that apparently carries some fines at worst. No big deal. I just assumed it was potentially more problematic because we have jail sentences for illegal party financing here, under some circumstances.

Party financing here is only illegal when it comes from outside (i.e. foreign) sources and is above a certain amount of money (2500€ per year and person) - but that never happened. Parties can receive any amount of donations so as long as they report them to the Court of Auditors. Associations and non-profit constructs can be donated to, and these can, in turn, quite legally employ people and pay for certain services.

It would only be illegal if money laundering happened. Failing to report donations to the Court of Auditors carries a fine, but to put that into perspective, not only were the fines in the past 7 years a total of 21.000€ the Court of Auditors is only allowed to select the auditors they send to check a party's finances from a party approved list of candidates.

Or in other words, our parties get to choose their own auditors. It's ridiculous.

Fun fact, there's an upper limit for the amount of money parties are allowed to spend on election campaigns. In theory that's 7 million per campaign. Last parliamentary election the ÖVP spent 13 millions and the FPÖ almost 11. That too carries a fine. Of, uhm, up to 20%. And yeah, it is up to. Blah.

Oi. We're looking at a vote of no confidence against our corporate sock puppet of a chancellor. He insisted on the dismissal of our - now former - Minister of the Interior, the response to which was that all FPÖ members of our government resigned and announced that they would support a vote of no confidence (but not actively propose one).

Assuming the entire opposition votes in favor Herr Kurz might get the dubious honor of being the first Austrian government member to be removed by a vote of no confidence.

That would be hilarious, but possibly a bad move. Fun times.

Edited by majestic
Added vote of no confidence info.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:15 AM, 213374U said:

Found another article on the whole Austria dumpster fire. For those who didn't care to bypass the FT paywall.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/strache-caught-on-camera-in-ibiza-secret-recordings-a-1267959.html

Interesting, because it raises the possibility of illegal financing, which may lead to prison time for someone, at some point, if the allegations turn out to be true.

Gotta love his fixation on everything being very legal & very cool, though I wonder to what extent it's an example of the "lawful = ethical" mindset that is so widespread or just plain fear of criminal penalties.

Pretty sure it's an example of a corrupt legal=ethical mindset since Trump and the way his campaign acted is such a blatant example....

Even if 'Herr Kurz' isn't directly or indirectly responsible for any of the corrupt acts by his party, he's still got a clusterbleeping mess on his hands.

Edited by smjjames

59 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Pretty sure it's an example of a corrupt legal=ethical mindset since Trump and the way his campaign acted is such a blatant example....

https://fareedzakaria.com/columns/2019/5/16/trumps-america-first-philosophy-has-created-a-less-stable-world

Fareed Zakaria's latest article touches on a similar sentiment, basically he says that Trumps ideological views have set a bad example and created or enhanced other leaders to become more negatively  nationalist and anti-Americanism is on the rise

I dont agree with all his points but the article is a good read anyway 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

Is there any right wing stooge that isn't a Putin puppet?

Some dictators in Africa aren't aligned to Russia but get more support from China 

John Milton 

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Even if 'Herr Kurz' isn't directly or indirectly responsible for any of the corrupt acts by his party, he's still got a clusterbleeping mess on his hands.

Kurz is the leader of a different party (ÖVP), they formed a coalition government with the FPÖ. The video is about the party leader of the FPÖ, Strache and his floor leader. Kurz is just facing a vote of no confidence right now because he attempted a (failed) power grab which included continuing his cooperation with the FPÖ on the condition that he can install his own people in the Ministry of the Interior.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

9 hours ago, majestic said:

Kurz is the leader of a different party (ÖVP), they formed a coalition government with the FPÖ. The video is about the party leader of the FPÖ, Strache and his floor leader. Kurz is just facing a vote of no confidence right now because he attempted a (failed) power grab which included continuing his cooperation with the FPÖ on the condition that he can install his own people in the Ministry of the Interior.

Oh, I misunderstood who was in what party, or something. Thanks for the clarification though.

"CCTN is funded in whole or in part by the Chinese government."

i.e., she speaks for the official position of the Chinese government.  This is, thus far, the most hostile response I have seen from China on the trade war.

Edited by ktchong

During the trade negotiation, Trump made many demands that China found objectionable, among them were these three that are absolutely unacceptable:

1. The US require that China changes its promulgated law to reflect the “trade agreement”. It should be pointed out that the last time China did that was during the Era of Humiliation by western powers and Japan before WW2, when China had been defeated in a series of wars. That US’ requirement is obviously non-starter.

2. The US require that should China be found in “violation” of an agreement, which will be solely determined by the US, then the US can reimpose tariff, and China cannot retaliate. Even Kevin Rudd, Australia’s ex PM, said that he would have rejected such request if it were presented to him as PM.

3. The US require China to commit to purchase farm and other merchandise from the US at a fixed amount that cannot be changed even when China’s domestic demands and situations change.

Edited by ktchong

2 hours ago, ktchong said:

During the trade negotiation, Trump made many demands that China found objectionable, among them were these three that are absolutely unacceptable:

1. The US require that China changes its promulgated law to reflect the “trade agreement”. It should be pointed out that the last time China did that was during the Era of Humiliation by western powers and Japan before WW2, when China had been defeated in a series of wars. That US’ requirement is obviously non-starter.

2. The US require that should China be found in “violation” of an agreement, which will be solely determined by the US, then the US can reimpose tariff, and China cannot retaliate. Even Kevin Rudd, Australia’s ex PM, said that he would have rejected such request if it were presented to him as PM.

3. The US require China to commit to purchase farm and other merchandise from the US at a fixed amount that cannot be changed even when China’s domestic demands and situations change.

I wouldn't accept those either. Especially 2. That is exactly the kind of poison pill that made everyone (except Hillary Clinton) oppose the TPP.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In other news Nevada bacame to latest state to change how it's electors are chosen. All of Nevada's electoral votes will be awarded to the national popular vote winner. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/may/22/nevada-senate-passes-national-popular-vote-bill-pa/?234

If you want to eliminate the electoral college then THIS is how you do it. Not the Tyrant-on-the-Potomac commanding "Thou shalt do this"

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Shame they didn't have the show's character marrying their sibling, would have gone well there.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

In other news Nevada bacame to latest state to change how it's electors are chosen. All of Nevada's electoral votes will be awarded to the national popular vote winner. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/may/22/nevada-senate-passes-national-popular-vote-bill-pa/?234

If you want to eliminate the electoral college then THIS is how you do it. Not the Tyrant-on-the-Potomac commanding "Thou shalt do this"

Just about all of them are Democrat controlled atm with Colorado and Nevada being at least partial exceptions. However, there are several Republican states which have it slowly going through the state legislature, so, it's progress.

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Shame they didn't have the show's character marrying their sibling, would have gone well there.

Sarcasm aside, it's a kids show, why would they do something like that? 😛 Also, hillbilly stereotypes ahoy.

Edited by smjjames

Well they wouldn't do that, obviously, just wanted to bash Alabammer.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

40 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Sarcasm aside, it's a kids show, why would they do something like that? 😛 Also, hillbilly stereotypes ahoy.

Why would they have the kids attend a wedding, you mean? Seems like a pretty typical event for a TV show to have.

• Like 1