This mod, as the name implies, allows you to tint godlikes. It also adds some more head options to those.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/325

This mod is somewhat special, so you have to read the installation instructions carefully!

Installation:
1. Extract the files into your "Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire" main folder (the one with the exe). You should now have two new files (RUN_FIRST!!!.exe and Tint_God_Mod.exe) in your main folder and a folder called "Tint God" inside your override folder.

2. Now run "RUN_FIRST!!!.exe" as the file says ;). Select the "Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire" main folder (the one with the game.exe) and let the patch work. You have to run "RUN_FIRST!!!.exe" every time you install the mod!!!

3. After "RUN_FIRST!!!.exe" is finished and everything was successful, run "Tint_God_Mod.exe". Again select the "Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire" main folder (the one with the game.exe) when prompted and let the patch work. After that is finished, you can start the game and should be able to tint godlikes.

4. This mod creates big backup files in "\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\assetbundles". If everything works as intended you can safely delete those backups.

Compatibility:
ATTENTION! This mod IS NOT compatible with Kilay's great "CC more colors" mod.

You have to disable it. However, I have tried to include some of its features into this mod.

This mod is halfway compatible with game patches or mods, which alter assetbundles. If a patch makes changes to "charactershd.unity3d", "characters.unity3d", "items.unity3d" or "character_headandskin_hd.unity3d" it will throw up errors for this assetbundles. The only consistent way to deal with that, is to reinstall the game, patch it and then reapply the mod, so long as no "new content" is added by a patch (new DLC releases or features like turn based mode). In that case an updated installer will be provided on the mod's nexus site.

In case of other mods for assetbundles, you are safe so long those mods don't change anything about godlikes or the manifest files inside the assetbundles.

Known issues:

I: At game loading the characters in the Inventory screen have no body textures.

S: This happens because of the game's loading priority for mods from the override folder. Just equip/unequip some armor to solve it.

I: The aumaua, elf, dwraf and orlan variants of godlikes have odd or different tinting.

S: That is a problem how the unity engine "generates" those races from the human raw model. I don't have a solution for this problem, yet. The human version of the godlikes should work.

I: Godlikes can't be tinted.

S: You either have not run "RUN_FIRST!!!.exe" or it didn't work. Restore the backups or better reinstall the game and then follow the installation instructions.

RXW7GdF.jpgPlStKY4.pngUYLiBae.pngv6obljq.png2AVx3RY.pngws5JIj7.pngrIWszFM.png

• Like 5

I have tried to make looks for woedica and skaen godlikes. Both can be found under Death godlikes.

Woedica godlikes:
Since Woedica is supposed to be burned, old and a Queen, her godlikes have burned, leathery skin, grey hair and golden crown like hornes.

QXUUTPS.pngShqxOlj.png

Skaen godlikes:
Since Skaen is pictured as disfigured and scarred and manifests as Effigy, his godlikes look also disfigured, scarred, flailed and sometimes without eyes.

ac9M1Tu.pngj0MzC9J.png4yr2xxt.png

Edited by Fhav6X
  • Like 5

This is something I've desperately wished for since game launch! My main and favourite character is Nature Godlike, and I was so disappointed with the default skin colour. It made my poor character look like acid Shrek. I've gotten used to my eyes bleeding eventually, but I kept hoping someone talented would be able to fix the situation some day. And here we are!

By the way, do you have plans to add more heads for male Nature Godlikes? I'm not exactly fond of default face is what I'm saying 😄 Would it be possible to add Moon Godlike's face as an option? I can imagine it's not easy to edit all this stuff though, and you've already done so much amazing work, so you know, just asking 😄

Seriously, this is incredible. Thank you!

Edited by Aldaroshka

As of now I can only use the head models that are already in the game and swapping textures doesn't always look good.

The game engine so far refused to accept new models. My biggest success looked like that with pretty much the same diagnoses.

sport-cockroach-squashed-squashes-crush-

The poor character entered game crash nirvana shortly after I tried to leave a building with it.

Lol, that sounds only slightly worse than default male Nature Godlike face 😄

Well, maybe some day you'll figure it out. But even without new heads this mod of yours is a true miracle. It seriously made my day, I'm so happy 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, beautiful work -- but wondering if you could explain what the executable installers are doing so I can try to replicate by hand (as I'm running the game on a mac)?

Tried a workaround with Wine wrappers but having trouble with the installation--the Unity asset viewer crashes on opening every time. There are other Unity asset extractors with mac versions, though, which should, I believe, serve the same function? Thanks :)

@ ceilingfan

If by Unity asset extractors you mean Unity Asset Bundle Extractor (UABE), then that is what I have used to create the mod. It is also the only one I know that can import files into the bundles. Simple extraction is pointless.

What the exe files do is, adding new files and modifying existing ones inside several assetbundles. One could, in theory, simply replace the assetbundles with the modified ones. Due to the gigantic size of the bundles I can't upload those. The exe files are the best distribution option available.

You could try to install the game (base game is enough) on a windows machine run the mod and then simply copy the modified files to your mac game.

Thanks for the info!

I did indeed--only did a quick google search, so I probably made a hasty assumption while reading the documentation for one utility that both were possible.

Unfortunately don't have easy access to a windows machine and the almost 40GB (!) of asset files is a bit prohibitive for using a public computer. Does your installer check for a full install or could I just copy the relevant bundle files? (Although I'd guess those would contain the bulk of it, anyway.)

Could try a full install on a virtual machine, since I wouldn't need to worry about actually running the game (much less smoothly!) It's probably just time to finally clear the space to get a bootcamp partition up and running.

Copying just the relevant bundle files should do the trick. The bundles are "characters.unity3d", "character_hd.unity3d", "character_headandskin_hd.unity3d" and "items.unity3d". All are located in the assetbundles folder

Since we're talking tints, I'll try my luck with a request.

Would it be possible for you to change Tekehu's eyes back to their original black color?

Ever since Obsidian introduced the ability to change your character's eye color, Tekehu's eyes have defaulted to green in stark contrast with both his portrait and in-game text. I reported the issue right away but it wasn't fixed, and it bothers me way more than it should.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

@ AndreaColombo

Tinting only affects generic characters the player creates.

Tekehu's eye color is his actual color. If it was different before, then it was changed deliberately to its current state. 

I can change its color, but I don't know what it was before. It would help, if you happen to have a picture to build on.

Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot from before that patch (I think it was 1.2), but the change was most definitely not deliberate: When they introduced that feature, my character's eyes also defaulted to green (I assume because their previous default color was no longer a viable option.)

Tekehu's eyes were fully black at release, matching his portrait.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Found an early screenshot online:1518138679614.png

This is from Cohh Carnage's pre-release playthrough (unfortunately back then it wasn't possible to zoom in on the character's face, but it's clear that his eyes look like in the screenshot above and not bright green as they do now—I linked the exact time stamp):

@ AndreaColombo

I hope it is to your liking. I only change his eye color the menu screen since the ingame model is far too small to even see it. This way the mod alone should be also more compatible with game patches since there haven't been any changes to the affected assetbundle since at least poe2 v3.

PS: I guaranty you it is definitely a deliberate change.

For anything to be tintable in this game, one need a tint map file, that tells the game what and where the tint should be applied. This was also the reason godlikes were not tintable. They didn't have those tint map files. I had to create several for each godlike.

Without those files you see only the main predefined texture for the object. For Tekehu's eyes it is the dark eyeball with a turquoise iris. A change of those predefined textures can only be deliberate.

tekehu eye ungreen.rar

• Thanks 1

This is amazing and wonderful! Finally Tekehu's eyes are back to the color his portrait shows and his in-game text describes (it helps that he also looks a ton better with black eyes than he does with green.)

When Obsidian released the patch that let us choose our characters' eye color, Tekehu's eyes weren't the only ones who changed to green. Before that patch, female aumaua head 3—the one I had been using for my Watcher—had red eyes. Like Tekehu's black, red was also a "non-kosher" (i.e. non-lore-friendly) color for aumaua eyes. Enter the patch that enables the selection of eye colors, and non-kosher eyes are suddenly defaulting to one of the selectable colors (in this case, the same green for both Tekehu and female auamua head 3.) This is the reason why I thought the choice not to be deliberate, but rather a side effect of the feature: Because red and black are not selectable eye colors for aumaua, they are not in the table of possible colors, therefore they no longer show.

Either way, it's great that I can finally enjoy Tekehu in his full black-eyed splendor once again. Thanks again a ton or a million! :)

Edited by AndreaColombo

• 2 years later...