"Overseeing" effects not displayed -- do they work?

I just noticed something that is definitely different from PoE, and now I'd like to know whether there's something wrong. There are a few items in the game that grant the "Overseeing" effect, i.e. 10% (or more) area of effect.

But even when two of my characters have items that grant these effects, they are not displayed under "Current Effects" on the character screen you get by pressing "C". So what's the deal with this?

I even did a very small test: Aloth's armor gives 15% to the area of effect, but removing this armor doesn't change his Fireball area of effect one bit. So does Overseeing work?

Last time I checked Aloth's Amor with mortars' AoE it did increase it. But different from PoE it's not an increase in radius (!) but actual area (area = radius * radius * Pi). Meaning it can be a bit difficult to see - especially if you already have good AoE bonuses (through INT for example). Let's assume you have a base radius of 2.5 meters then your actual area is 2.5*2.5*3.144=19.65 m². Add 15% to that and you have 22.6 m². Which translates to a radius of sqroot(22.6/3.144) = 2.68. So the radius is only 0.18 meters bigger. And that's without any other AoE bonus which will make it even harder to see. Because the bigger the circle already is the less visible the radius increase will be. 

So: I guess it still works but you just expected a bigger "visual" increase. But I can't say for sure since I didn't test lately. 

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ok, thanks. I still wonder why it isn't shown on the character screen. I mean, most all effects you get from items are clearly displayed, but this one isn't.

And yes indeedy, the radius thing is funny, mathematically speaking. Here's a good illustration: supposing, for the sake of the argument, that the earth is a uniformly smooth sphere, you need a rope with a length of approximately 40,000 kilometers to encircle the earth with it. Now, how long does the rope have to be for it to encircle the earth so that it floats two meters above the surface all around the earth?

Haha right. :oops: Oh man... Like those trick questions in school a looong time ago. 😄

Common mistake I guess when you just use the numbers without noticing that the one is kilometers and the other one is meters. At least I added 4 meters and not 2. ;)

So 40,000,012.57 meters it is.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

the real lesson from this: it is almost always better to order the larger pizza, regardless o' the s'posed deal offered on a medium or small.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Y'all just going to let Boeroer get away with rounding pi to 3.144? How does 3.1416 round to 3.144, hmm?

I can no longer see his beard as being mythic.

• Haha 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Other stuff doesn't show in the current effects either ... for instance the Boots of Stone resistance to Might afflictions never showed under my character effects, but when I tested it was working properly ... so my suggestion is to test if you aren't seeing it under current effects.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy