Unexpected Behavior [Card Interaction]

Giomancer

Question

"Amulet of Mighty Fists" states (in part):

'You may not play a spell that has the ATTACK trait or a weapon on this check'

The spells "Corrosive Splash" and "Shocking Splash" contain the following traits:

MAGIC / ARCANE / DIVINE / ELEMENT

Seeing as neither spell has the ATTACK trait, why does casting either negate the use of the Mighty Fists?

2 answers to this question

That's actually a weird and easily-reproducible bug...  I'm not sure why it happens.  As I poke at some of the internals for the cards, the Splash cards are indeed lacking the Attack trait, and the Amulet shouldn't be scripted to block their use.

That being said, even though the cards lack the Attack trait, it appears to be an oversight.  Other cards with a similar set of powers (e.g. AD1 Fiery Weapon or AD2 Heat Metal) are considered Attack spells.  It's possible the issued you found is some combination of bug and typo, but the overall result is still in keeping with the intended mechanics of the game.

Actually, [AD1] Fiery Weapon lacks the Attack trait, but it only works on weapons.

Still, I am inclined to agree with you: I was initially going to propose that the Splash-series cards gain similar text to Fiery Weapon, but decided against it after checking the FAQ of the print edition (which had no reference to such an issue) in case it was truly a bug.