Lockpicking stopped working

axiomaticon

Question

All of a sudden, lockpicking doesn't work. I can click on the locked item, my skill is high enough, and I get both audio and text confirmation that I was successful - but the lock doesn't open. I can do this repeatedly, as seen in the screenshot below. The object just stays forever locked.

I'm on the latest version: 5.0.0.0040 with no mods or override files. I've tried restarting, verifying game file integrity, reinstalling, retraining the character, leveling up a different character with lockpicking. I even went back to a very old save (before this started happening), and it's still a problem. May have started around the time of the latest patch, but I'm not certain.

My save file is too large to attach here, but I can send it via another method if that helps. Any assistance is appreciated - I'm 100 hours into the game, and it's pretty annoying to lose this functionality all of a sudden.

7Weoc8K.jpg

Edited by axiomaticon

7 answers to this question

Hello Axiomaticon,

I'm sorry you are having these issues with lockpicking in your playthrough.  Would you be able to send me the save file that is having this issue to support@obsidian.net along with a link to this thread as a reference.  Once I have that, I'll take a look to see what's going on in your game and see how we might resolve this for you.

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing your playthrough.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 10:19 PM, SChin said:

Hello Axiomaticon,

I'm sorry you are having these issues with lockpicking in your playthrough.  Would you be able to send me the save file that is having this issue to support@obsidian.net along with a link to this thread as a reference.  Once I have that, I'll take a look to see what's going on in your game and see how we might resolve this for you.

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing your playthrough.

Dear Schin,

I want to report that I am experiencing the exact same problems with lockpicking that Axiomaticon is experiencing.
This started after the latest patch update.
Also I have done exactly the same things Axiomaticon did to try and solve the problem but to no avail.

Have you solved this problem?   Can you help me with this problem?

Awaiting your response,

Greetings,

DrDeathhand

Hello Dr. Deathhand,

It turned out to have been caused by the global.gamedatabundle file having been edited.  Once Axiomaticon restored the file to its original state, they said the issue resolved itself.

If you haven't edited anything like that and are still having the issue, feel free to send me a copy of your save file along with a link to this thread to support@obsidian.net and I'll be more than happy to take a look at it.  If needed, you can find instructions on where the saves are located here.

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble you're going through Dr.

12 hours ago, SChin said:

Hello Dr. Deathhand,

It turned out to have been caused by the global.gamedatabundle file having been edited.  Once Axiomaticon restored the file to its original state, they said the issue resolved itself.

If you haven't edited anything like that and are still having the issue, feel free to send me a copy of your save file along with a link to this thread to support@obsidian.net and I'll be more than happy to take a look at it.  If needed, you can find instructions on where the saves are located here.

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble you're going through Dr.

Dear SChin,

Thank you for your response!
I have ready what you typed.  I totally forgot that a long time ago I did edit the globalgamedatabundle file. 
After replacing the original file (deleted the edited file and doing a verify on the game installation) I still have the same lockpicking problem.

Can you help me to try and find the problem?

Awaiting your response,

Greetings,

DrDeathhand
PS: I will send you a savegame of mine that you can check.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:20 AM, DrDeathhand said:

Dear SChin,

Thank you for your response!
I have ready what you typed.  I totally forgot that a long time ago I did edit the globalgamedatabundle file. 
After replacing the original file (deleted the edited file and doing a verify on the game installation) I still have the same lockpicking problem.

Can you help me to try and find the problem?

Awaiting your response,

Greetings,

DrDeathhand
PS: I will send you a savegame of mine that you can check.

Hey Dr. Deathhand,

Definitely send that save to me at support@obsidian.net with a link to this thread and I'll take a look into it for you :)

Thank you Dr. Deathhand!

This is still an issue and it appears to be an issue with locks at lock pick difficulty level 15 only - so there is one in Treasure Trove, Fleet Master's Office, two at entrance of Crookspur (in the picture), and one in Deck of Many Things. 

All the loot in the chests are from the vendor and can be purchased with money anyway with the exception of the Fleet Master's Office, which just has a flag in it. 

It's still an annoying bug, though.