Not sure I understand your issue 100% but you must select a character's (multi)class when you pick them up. You can respec all the skills/spells/abilities of that specific selected (multi)class later but the actual (multi)class selection per se is a one-time chance AFAIK. You would have to start a new playthrough and select a new multiclass for a specific companion when you pick them up. Or maybe use mods... but I don't know if there is a mod that enables free class selection at any point in time.

Edited by Moriendor
  • Thanks 1

Choosing single/multi classes happens only (1) at the moment you create a character/adventurer or (2) at the moment you recruit an NPC. You might be thinking of dual-classing as in the infinity engine games, where you could pick up a second class at level up if certain requirements were met - that doesn't exist in PoE2.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 12:34 AM, welshnick said:

I am thinking of BG2 thanks makes sense now

possible language issue, but deadfire's multiclass is like bg2-- the decision made and fixed at character creation.  an ad&d elven fighter/mage doesn't choose to multiclass at level 3 or 6 or whatever. an elven fighter/mage begins career as a multiclass and follows a preset leveling progression. 

d20 changed d&d multiclass rules. as such, iwd2 and the nwn games would be the d&d games made by black isle/obsidian which would have include a multiclassing option at level-up.

however, thanks to the endemic non-intuitive nature o' ad&d, if a human character met specific ability score requirements, it were possible to dual-class a character. existence o' ad&d dual-class and original bard were 'mongst the considerable examples which were leading one to the conclusion the original pnp developers were using drugs while making up their rules.  why humans? 'cause. why did original class abilities need be dormant during dual-classing? 'cause. 'ccording to the rulez, humans and half-elves could become bards in 1st edition, but seeing as how one would need dual class twice to become eligible for bard...

bg2 were ad&d 2nd edition, so original bard wacky were abandoned, but it nevertheless embraced dual-class stoopid with vigor.

regardless, bg2 multiclass and deadfire multiclass is analogous.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)