So on PoTD how well could a single class wizard tank for a party and still be able to cast spells? Can his defenses end up high enough to reliably sit on the front with self buffes and armor and still cast? I know an arcane knight can do very well but I want to use a pure wizard if possible and focus on casting spells not focusing on weapons. Is there a build like that or is it not possible?

He can use a shield and buff himself up no problem. The starting deflection is low but you can make it work. The biggest problem though is if you get hit by Arcane Dampener and such. Suddenly you are stripped of your whole tankyness.

That being said: some high level stuff is very nice for "tanking". For example Cloak of Death. Also Minoletta's Piercing Sigil.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

25 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

He can use a shield and buff himself up no problem. The starting deflection is low but you can make it work. The biggest problem though is if you get hit by Arcane Dampener and such. Suddenly you are stripped of your whole tankyness.

That being said: some high level stuff is very nice for "tanking". For example Cloak of Death. Also Minoletta's Piercing Sigil.

Cool thanks for that. Yeah PL8-9 wiz spells is why I really wanted to run a single class wiz. I was worried that wiz buffs wouldn't be enough to tank properly.

If you are a melee wizard, even more a "tank" who want to draw and crontrol a lot of enemies it's the best. Don't waste your time attacking with weapons. Just cast something while enemies just vanish after hitting you and then get substancial DoT while they are away. Once they pop back up they are too stupid to stop hitting you... and it repeats.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yea it sounded really powerful. But then again on my pc the game does strange things. For instance Holy Radiance does nothing either. It doesn't heal me nor damage enemies. It's just a waste of animation. I don't use that ability either. I reinstalled the game several times, but that didn't do anything. From the get go some abilities don't seem to do anything at all. See the picture I posted in the technical issues forum in August of 2018. It still does nothing to this day.

holy radiance.jpg