Legacy Issues and Solutions

Hey everyone!

As it's been a year since the release of Deadfire, we have come to the point of moving on to newer projects and ramped down the Deadfire staff as a result.  We will no longer be fixing any issues we deem to be non-game breaking.  At the moment, we are only aware of a few potential issues for some users that can prevent player progression and have come up with solutions to these issues.  If we find that there are any progression breaking issues going forward that prevent gameplay, we will look into finding workarounds or potentially hot fixing them and adding those to this list.  The following are the known issues and their workarounds.

• Players with general performance issues, freezes, or crashes, we have compiled a list of diagnostic steps that have worked to varying degrees for other users. You can find the list with some instructions listed below.
    1. Reduce graphics settings

2. Restart game

3. Delete or move excessive saves

4. Disable Unity Console mod - if applicable

5. Remove Unity Console mod - if applicable

6. Verify Integrity of Game Files - Steam - GOG

7. Reinstall Deadfire

8. Change PhysX settings to GPU instead of Auto

9. Install the Special K mod with recommended settings

10. Update graphics drivers

11. Update operating system

12. Check for faulty RAM - Steps to do this can be found here

13. Roll back graphics drivers

14. Reinstall operating system

• Mac users who are having graphical issues where large sections of the map are white, it has been found that if you save the game and load the new save file, the map will go back to normal.
  • Players have reported Nungata disappearing from Serpent's Crown and being unable to turn in quests.  This is not a bug as she leaves the area during the quest The Final Maneuver and will return to her normal location when that quest is resolved.

If you run into an issue different than the ones listed above that prevents you from being able to continue your adventure through the Deadfire, please feel free to let us know in an email and attach any screenshots, output_log.txt files, save files, and crash logs that may assist us in helping to resolve the issue.  Should you need information on how to obtain those files, you can find instructions here.  Please send these emails to support@obsidian.net and we will do what we can to get you back on track.

We at Obsidian want to send our heartfelt thanks to this wonderful community for being so supportive of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire!  We hope you will continue to enjoy Deadfire for many years to come and hope to see you in the next great Obsidian adventure!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

So when eventually the console port is released, how will patches be handled?  If a non-game-breaking bug is fixed for the console version, will that fix be ported to the PC version and a new bugfix release version issued?  Or will console/PC gradually diverge?

Edited by pmchem
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pmchem said:

So when eventually the console port is released, how will patches be handled?  If a non-game-breaking bug is fixed for the console version, will that fix be ported to the PC version and a new bugfix release version issued?  Or will console/PC gradually diverge?

Unless there's a radical departure from how it's been done in the past, the console port is Team Paradox, not Team Obsidian.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Versus Evil in this case. Afaik they don't work with Paradox on Deadfire. But I read somewhere (Aarik on Twitter or Discord I believe) that Versus Evil is doing the port. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Excessive saves, ehh. I have 200+ at the moment, and definitely noticed a heavy degrade in save/load menu performance. But I need all of them 😋

Also it's good to know that this was the last ~balance related patch. Saddening a bit though)

4 minutes ago, MaxQuest said:

Excessive saves, ehh. I have 200+ at the moment, and definitely noticed a heavy degrade in save/load menu performance. But I need all of them 😋

Just move some to a different directory, maybe? And just alt-tab to explorer and copy-paste them in before opening the load menu if you need a specific one?

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Versus Evil in this case. Afaik they don't work with Paradox on Deadfire. But I read somewhere (Aarik on Twitter or Discord I believe) that Versus Evil is doing the port. 

Via Versus Evil, the port is handled by Red Cerberus, who further subcontracted the development to the team at Grip Digital.  

I'm assuming they're the reason why there's a gripreferencebuild branch of Deadfire listed on SteamDB for console testing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aotrs Commander said:

Just move some to a different directory, maybe? And just alt-tab to explorer and copy-paste them in before opening the load menu if you need a specific one?

Yeah, I do this before starting a new playthrough. Although I haven't actually "played" since December, and have been mostly checking/testing stuff. 

19 hours ago, SChin said:

We at Obsidian want to send our heartfelt thanks to this wonderful community for being so supportive of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire!  We hope you will continue to enjoy Deadfire for many years to come and hope to see you in the next great Obsidian adventure!

Since I am unable to play (due to NVidia freeze bug) a game I help fund, I do not think I will be looking at the next adventure… Sorry.

Edited by kierun
  • Like 3

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

10 hours ago, Boeroer said:

3 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

Via Versus Evil, the port is handled by Red Cerberus, who further subcontracted the development to the team at Grip Digital.  

I'm assuming they're the reason why there's a gripreferencebuild branch of Deadfire listed on SteamDB for console testing.

Thanks for the correction, guys.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

• 10 months later...
On 5/9/2019 at 5:25 PM, SChin said:

Hey everyone!

As it's been a year since the release of Deadfire, we have come to the point of moving on to newer projects and ramped down the Deadfire staff as a result.  We will no longer be fixing any issues we deem to be non-game breaking.  At the moment, we are only aware of a few potential issues for some users that can prevent player progression and have come up with solutions to these issues.  If we find that there are any progression breaking issues going forward that prevent gameplay, we will look into finding workarounds or potentially hot fixing them and adding those to this list.  The following are the known issues and their workarounds.

• Players with general performance issues, freezes, or crashes, we have compiled a list of diagnostic steps that have worked to varying degrees for other users. You can find the list with some instructions listed below.
    1. Reduce graphics settings

2. Restart game

3. Delete or move excessive saves

4. Disable Unity Console mod - if applicable

5. Remove Unity Console mod - if applicable

6. Verify Integrity of Game Files - Steam - GOG

7. Reinstall Deadfire

8. Change PhysX settings to GPU instead of Auto

9. Install the Special K mod with recommended settings

10. Update graphics drivers

11. Update operating system

12. Check for faulty RAM - Steps to do this can be found here

13. Roll back graphics drivers

14. Reinstall operating system

• Mac users who are having graphical issues where large sections of the map are white, it has been found that if you save the game and load the new save file, the map will go back to normal.
  • Players have reported Nungata disappearing from Serpent's Crown and being unable to turn in quests.  This is not a bug as she leaves the area during the quest The Final Maneuver and will return to her normal location when that quest is resolved.

If you run into an issue different than the ones listed above that prevents you from being able to continue your adventure through the Deadfire, please feel free to let us know in an email and attach any screenshots, output_log.txt files, save files, and crash logs that may assist us in helping to resolve the issue.  Should you need information on how to obtain those files, you can find instructions here.  Please send these emails to support@obsidian.net and we will do what we can to get you back on track.

I really this doesn't concern Consoles, because the game is broken on PS4, and 1.04 fixed enchanting and broken other things.

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

After all, the semi-manufactured game has your studio's logo.

But you just shift off all the duties to your publisher and said i don't care the problem about console. The foolish acts will leave us a bad impression.

Maybe you should push your publisher to  fix the large number of cracks,but not to said like this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jiwei said:

Maybe you should push your publisher to  fix the large number of cracks,but not to said like this.

Are you addressing me? 'Cause I have no publisher to push...

On Discord we can read only, we can't even chat with Versus Evil, their server is locked (their ears are probably whistling) . I am web designer irl and very frequently i subcontract (if it is the correct expression) for things i can't do, things outside of my expertise, but my customers know me and only me. If there is any problem it is my responsability to make their product work perfectly, and trust me i spend day and night to make a job correct.
Versus Evil got the money, they should give a clean work. we are far from clean on PS4.
This is the official POE/Deadfire forum, everything about support should be done here, If versus evil were smart enough, they should spend some time on the forum and speak with us.

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

That analogy is not correct. Better: Obsidian subcontracted a translation bureau for the localisation and of course if the localisation in the game is bad you'll address Obsidian.

But the console ports were taken out of Obsidian's hands and done by Versus Evil independently. Obsidian even closed support for Deadfire before the console ports came out.

It's like if you made a successful website "Rofl.org" and now it's kinda old but then somebody else comes along and wants to take your website and port it to "Lol.com" (advertising it with "from the foundations of Rofl.org") and pays you for the stuff they are using. Would you feel responsible even if they advertised with your name and that you were the one who did the original stuff? Do you address the original developers of Baldur's Gate if the Enhanced Edition from Beamdog doesn't work?

In Deadfire's case it is a bit more convoluted though because it isn't communicated properly whom the players should report to in case of bugs and other problems. Naturally they go to Obsidian. 

You can totally post here and report issues - I just don't know if it's going to help a lot. Not that it isn't reasonable to expect Obsdidian to take interest in this. But they have limited resources and won't pay too much attention and spend too much effort on something they closed down several months ago.

I understand your frustration - I'm just pragmatic.

Edited by Boeroer