Legacy Issues and Solutions

SChin

Question

Hey everyone!

As it's been a year since the release of Deadfire, we have come to the point of moving on to newer projects and ramped down the Deadfire staff as a result.  We will no longer be fixing any issues we deem to be non-game breaking.  At the moment, we are only aware of a few potential issues for some users that can prevent player progression and have come up with solutions to these issues.  If we find that there are any progression breaking issues going forward that prevent gameplay, we will look into finding workarounds or potentially hot fixing them and adding those to this list.  The following are the known issues and their workarounds.

• Players with general performance issues, freezes, or crashes, we have compiled a list of diagnostic steps that have worked to varying degrees for other users. You can find the list with some instructions listed below.
    1. Reduce graphics settings

2. Restart game

3. Delete or move excessive saves

4. Disable Unity Console mod - if applicable

5. Remove Unity Console mod - if applicable

6. Verify Integrity of Game Files - Steam - GOG

7. Reinstall Deadfire

8. Change PhysX settings to GPU instead of Auto

9. Install the Special K mod with recommended settings

10. Update graphics drivers

11. Update operating system

12. Check for faulty RAM - Steps to do this can be found here

13. Roll back graphics drivers

14. Reinstall operating system

• Mac users who are having graphical issues where large sections of the map are white, it has been found that if you save the game and load the new save file, the map will go back to normal.
  • Players have reported Nungata disappearing from Serpent's Crown and being unable to turn in quests.  This is not a bug as she leaves the area during the quest The Final Maneuver and will return to her normal location when that quest is resolved.

If you run into an issue different than the ones listed above that prevents you from being able to continue your adventure through the Deadfire, please feel free to let us know in an email and attach any screenshots, output_log.txt files, save files, and crash logs that may assist us in helping to resolve the issue.  Should you need information on how to obtain those files, you can find instructions here.  Please send these emails to support@obsidian.net and we will do what we can to get you back on track.

We at Obsidian want to send our heartfelt thanks to this wonderful community for being so supportive of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire!  We hope you will continue to enjoy Deadfire for many years to come and hope to see you in the next great Obsidian adventure!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

17 answers to this question

So... it means ending of Deadfire support and you leave us on our own with all recent bugs / inconsistencies like broken effect descriptions (Garotte, Finishing / Devastating Blow, Spiritshift Boar's Raw DOT), broken DOT damage calculation, Barbarian Carnage, and so on? Am i right? I'm not testing v5 yet, but i can't see these bugs mentioned in patch notes.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, pomenitul said:

So you're essentially confirming that there will be no fix for the Nvidia-related issues.

Unfortunately we were unable to get NVidia to provide us support for this issue.  While trying to get that support, we worked with various users who had these graphical issues and collected a list of solutions that worked for them.  If you are still having performance issues I highly recommend trying out the solutions listed above as they've helped a lot.  I'll edit the post to have the list here instead of using a link to them.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Schin there will never be a new patch ? : (

Because there is a good change to make if it is not too complicate :

Make Knock up always a valid target. (red circle never disapear = not like now).

For the pleasure of the game, it should be a true added value. For a console version for example... I love give order but here, you give an order never applied after a Knock up.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sam, 

So you are saying I should follow all of the  diagnostic steps before sending in a crash report to you guys at this point, including reinstalling my operating system? 

Also, are you able to confirm that the Deadfire novella is not happening at this point?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SChin said:

Unfortunately we were unable to get NVidia to provide us support for this issue.  While trying to get that support, we worked with various users who had these graphical issues and collected a list of solutions that worked for them.  If you are still having performance issues I highly recommend trying out the solutions listed above as they've helped a lot.  I'll edit the post to have the list here instead of using a link to them.

I've tried them all already and none of them worked for me. Every minute or so, the game stutters, regardless of area, no matter how high the frame rate (100+ in some cases).

17 minutes ago, pomenitul said:

I've tried them all already and none of them worked for me. Every minute or so, the game stutters, regardless of area, no matter how high the frame rate (100+ in some cases).

that doesn't sound like a gpu/graphics-related issue then

Edited by thelee

1 minute ago, thelee said:

that doesn't sound like a gpu/graphics-related issue then

Any suggestions, then? Keep in mind other games run just fine on my rig and I've acquired a new CPU since first installing Deadfire a year ago, with the same results.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:05 AM, DiabloStorm said:

I will no longer be purchasing any more games from this company. Rest in peace.

Not that it will ever happen, but releasing the source code so that fans that actually care can fix things would be the right thing to do...but of course you wont, because money.

This is one of the most ridiculous and unreasonable demands to game developers I have seen yet.

• Like 1

All,

The issue I believe we're all facing is that the game is using the wrong video card (i.e. using the video card that's on the motherboard instead of our actual gaming video card). The solution is simple, tell Windows which video card to use. I used the instructions on this site and the game runs perfectly smooth: https://www.howtogeek.com/351522/how-to-choose-which-gpu-a-game-uses-on-windows-10/

On 5/9/2019 at 12:12 AM, SChin said:

Hey everyone!

As it's been a year since the release of Deadfire, we have come to the point of moving on to newer projects and ramped down the Deadfire staff as a result.  We will no longer be fixing any issues we deem to be non-game breaking.  At the moment, we are only aware of a few potential issues for some users that can prevent player progression and have come up with solutions to these issues.  If we find that there are any progression breaking issues going forward that prevent gameplay, we will look into finding workarounds or potentially hot fixing them and adding those to this list.  The following are the known issues and their workarounds.

• Players with general performance issues, freezes, or crashes, we have compiled a list of diagnostic steps that have worked to varying degrees for other users. You can find the list with some instructions listed below.
    1. Reduce graphics settings

2. Restart game

3. Delete or move excessive saves

4. Disable Unity Console mod - if applicable

5. Remove Unity Console mod - if applicable

6. Verify Integrity of Game Files - Steam - GOG

7. Reinstall Deadfire

8. Change PhysX settings to GPU instead of Auto

9. Install the Special K mod with recommended settings

10. Update graphics drivers

11. Update operating system

12. Check for faulty RAM - Steps to do this can be found here

13. Roll back graphics drivers

14. Reinstall operating system

• Mac users who are having graphical issues where large sections of the map are white, it has been found that if you save the game and load the new save file, the map will go back to normal.
  • Players have reported Nungata disappearing from Serpent's Crown and being unable to turn in quests.  This is not a bug as she leaves the area during the quest The Final Maneuver and will return to her normal location when that quest is resolved.

If you run into an issue different than the ones listed above that prevents you from being able to continue your adventure through the Deadfire, please feel free to let us know in an email and attach any screenshots, output_log.txt files, save files, and crash logs that may assist us in helping to resolve the issue.  Should you need information on how to obtain those files, you can find instructions here.  Please send these emails to support@obsidian.net and we will do what we can to get you back on track.

We at Obsidian want to send our heartfelt thanks to this wonderful community for being so supportive of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire!  We hope you will continue to enjoy Deadfire for many years to come and hope to see you in the next great Obsidian adventure!

I found a best solution, DELETE THE GAME WHICH IS BROKEN AND WAIT A PATCH, LEAVE YOUR WORKING SYSTEM AS IT IS...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

On 8/19/2019 at 7:43 AM, ToveriJuri said:

This is one of the most ridiculous and unreasonable demands to game developers I have seen yet.

So Linux, Free BSD are unreasonable for you ? The best and most stable OS in the world ... It is a short term view imo, you don't want to finish the work, let the community finish it, win/win for both sides...

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

Hello, I've encountered a pretty serious bug that could be potentially "game breaking". Upon entering Tikawara, my game almost instantly crashes (between 5-10 steps off the dock). What is curious is that I had no problems with the area when completing quests related to Poko Kohara (I resolved the quest by destroying the adra) or speaking to the Lagufaeth. However, upon returning to complete Maia Rua's quest, the Couriers Calling, I've found the game crashing almost as soon as I step off the docks. I have all my settings geared for optimizing, but my theory is that there are too many NPC's or active quests in the area, as I have not released the Lagufaeth hatchlings or started the unmarked koiki quest, in addition to the townsfolk that show up in relation to Maia's quest. In this instance, I can still complete the critical path, so it fortunately has not been "game breaking" for me, just a bother to not be able to complete Maia's quest. However, I worry that someone may experience the same problem before having completed the Poko Koharo quest, and if they are attempting to do the critical path of the RDC or VTC, it may become nearly impossible to progress (though I might be wrong as I've only played the Huana questline). Not sure if this forum is still moderated at all but I figure it's worth putting it out here. Thanks!

@SChin Guys, are you insane?! Have you verified translations before patch release, at least? I have no words... I mean, of course i have, but i will be banned if i write what i think about your QA standards and other things.

English                                                                                                                            Russian
ie0TNmi.png

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 2

Forrest.... This company doesnt make games. It makes piles of bugs all thown into a box and shaken up then sold to the next batch of people that see a pretty picture on the various stores.  On Xbox version with this game I am having the exact same issue and also in the Harbringer quests where you got to help Rymgrand get rid of the dragon. The game completely stops and crashes. The original PoE had alot of the same issues with crashes and frame rate drops just before it does and will be more than confident every game they produce has the exact same issues with them.  Obsidian has never fixed bugs in the past and only sugar coats buyiing time speeches designed to equate to talking out of both sides of their mouths. They could care less if their product is absolute trash or not and definitely dont care whether or not you care about the trash they produce. They literally bide time until they can drop support leaving a mess they should have never made to begin with and left coding to people that actually care about the products they produce, the image they attach to it, and the value of providing a product worthy of our  attention. 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:12 PM, SChin said:

We will no longer be fixing any issues we deem to be non-game breaking.

I will no longer be purchasing any more games from this company. Rest in peace.

Not that it will ever happen, but releasing the source code so that fans that actually care can fix things would be the right thing to do...but of course you wont, because money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1