Xoti permanently dies during ship combat

Manveru123

Question

I have removed Xoti from my team as soon as I reached Neketaka. Completely ignored her afterwards.. until I started doing ship combat (boarding).

For each combat, the game assigns you a few random party members to help out. They are controlled by the AI. Normally, when a character like this is defeated, he is simply knocked out and gets up after combat, which is how it works on my save.

Not for Xoti, though. When Xoti is defeated, she perma-dies. Just like that. This is very annoying because I have to either hope that she doesn't appear during the ship combat at all, or that her AI doesn't let her kill herself.

I'll probably just let her die to avoid the headache, but I'd recommend fixing this for the future.

5 answers to this question

Don't think she appears random. Companions and sidekicks take precedence over ship crew during boarding. For me she always shows up. I never experienced anyone dying permanently though. You could also outfit her with some good armor and health boosters + regen items. I always setup my inactive crew for survivability and they never go down during ship combat.

Strange bug.

This isn't a bug.  NPC companions accrue injuries when knocked unconscious, whether they are in your active party or not.  After enough injuries are accrued, NPC companions will die permanently -- again, whether they are in your active party or not.

If you have "[c]ompletely ignored her", then Xoti is very likely at a low level and has poor equipment.  Since NPCs do not level up unless added to your party, she has very likely been rendered unconscious in multiple ship battles, particularly as you have engaged higher level crews.  Thus, if it happens sufficiently many times, she is gone for good.

This applies to all NPC companions, not just Xoti.  It also applies to the PC, although of course it's game over in that event.

To avoid this, add her to the party, rest to clear any existing injuries, and level her up.  Equipping her with better gear from your supply of spare equipment will help too.

Edited by Runestaff

37 minutes ago, Runestaff said:

This isn't a bug.  NPC companions accrue injuries when knocked unconscious, whether they are in your active party or not.  After enough injuries are accrued, NPC companions will die permanently -- again, whether they are in your active party or not.

If you have "[c]ompletely ignored her", then Xoti is very likely at a low level and has poor equipment.  Since NPCs do not level up unless added to your party, she has very likely been rendered unconscious in multiple ship battles, particularly as you have engaged higher level crews.  Thus, if it happens sufficiently many times, she is gone for good.

This applies to all NPC companions, not just Xoti.  It also applies to the PC, although of course it's game over in that event.

To avoid this, add her to the party, rest to clear any existing injuries, and level her up.  Equipping her with better gear from your supply of spare equipment will help too.

Nah man this happened even after a rest. I don't think I need to add companions manually and rest with them to clear injuries because no one else ever died permanently and they're all just a bunch of low level scrubs.

9 hours ago, Manveru123 said:

Nah man this happened even after a rest. I don't think I need to add companions manually and rest with them to clear injuries because no one else ever died permanently and they're all just a bunch of low level scrubs.

Please, add her to the party and check first. Resting only clears injuries accumulated by characters currently in your party, whenever you rest and year, or sleep in an inn. 

24 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Please, add her to the party and check first. Resting only clears injuries accumulated by characters currently in your party, whenever you rest and year, or sleep in an inn. 

Too late, she's already dead. But like I said before, other characters never perma die, and they also have low level and 0 gear so each ship combat there's a trail of bodies on the deck.

So it would seem that if character gets injured while in the party, these injuries remain and they can die during ship combat. But if the character was not injured in the party, then he can die as many times as he wants and will always get back up after combat. Well to me that is an inconsistency at the very least and it's worth fixing.