Fig Announces Positive Investor Returns for the Second Straight Year
1*cxFIQdv7ca4zOEmlzB4FAw.png

The relevant snip about Deadfire:

Although returns to date for Fig Game Shares — Pillars of Eternity II have not broken-even, our licensing agreement will continue to provide the opportunity for investors to increase their returns as the game continues to sell. Since Obsidian continues to provide updates and support for the game, including the incredibly well received turn-based mode announced in early 2019 (sales of which are not yet reflected in the returns listed above), Pillars 2 has the potential to generate value long into the future. Both critics and fans have praised Pillars 2 for continuing to raise the bar for modern party-based RPGs, and we expect it to continue to stand out as a premier example of quality for both the series and the genre as a whole. This game would not have been possible without the support of our investors and backers!

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

That is some money talk my limited brain doesn't understand. Seems like Deadfire really didn't sell well. Is anyone able to translate this percentage into sold units?

On the other hand, Phoenix Point's deal with the devil (aka Epic) seems like a pretty good boon to those who invested via fig.

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

That is some money talk my limited brain doesn't understand. Seems like Deadfire really didn't sell well. Is anyone able to translate this percentage into sold units?

You can't translate this number into sold units, because that return would also include the investor's cut for units that were sold on sale.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Novem said:

You can't translate this number into sold units, because that return would also include the investor's cut for units that were sold on sale.

I could be mistaken here, but at 32% return on investment, and knowing each Fig investment unit accounted for a $1000 investment, that'd be around a $320 return so far. The last announced dividend as far as I'm aware was November, where the investors saw a $192.67 return per unit. The above quote says the most recent chart does not reflect what Deadfire's made since the release of the TB mode, so the info is up to a period earlier than January 24th. That means that between the cutoff point for the first dividend and the point which the above table reflects, there's been roughly a $127.33 increase return per unit. On the Fig charts the investor breakeven point is estimated at about 543650 units sold, which assuming is accurate and assuming the above numbers reflect the real progress up to this milestone, that would mean about 174000 units sold up to that point (or, in terms of money, about $7,828,560, which should translate to $5,479,992 for Obsidian when removing stores' share).

Obviously this is all calculated by an absolute layman who has no understanding of numbers or finance whatsoever, so take all the above with several grains of salt. 😄

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

7 minutes ago, algroth said:

I could be mistaken here, but at 32% return on investment, and knowing each Fig investment unit accounted for a $1000 investment, that'd be around a $320 return so far. The last announced dividend as far as I'm aware was November, where the investors saw a $192.67 return per unit. The above quote says the most recent chart does not reflect what Deadfire's made since the release of the TB mode, so the info is up to a period earlier than January 24th. That means that between the cutoff point for the first dividend and the point which the above table reflects, there's been roughly a $127.33 increase return per unit. On the Fig charts the investor breakeven point is estimated at about 543,650 units sold, which assuming is accurate and assuming the above numbers reflect the real progress up to this milestone, that would mean about 174000 units sold up to that point.

I'm pretty certain the game had gone on sale several times by and before January 24th. If that initial break even number was a number based on copies sold at full price, then the actual number units that would need to sell would be much higher. Still, I wonder if it would be possible to calculate how much the game has grossed in revenue using all these numbers, and how much it would need to gross in order to break even. Or at least calculate a sort of "effective number of copies sold", as in... not the exact number of actual units sold, but how the money the game has made equates to units sold at full price.

I'll leave that up to you though, I'm not much of a math guy, lol

Edited by Novem

At 31th December 2018, after all the 3 DLC were released, the inversors only recovered a third of the money they invested (32%). That's really sad to know, especially when you admire the great work done by Obsidian

With turn based combat mode released in 2019, the definitive edition and the console release perhaps inversors can reach, a 60%?

Poor figures.

We already knew the returns were poor when Fig paid the first tranche of dividends to investors in November. However, if the May–November time frame paid $192.67 and November–December added another $127.33 on top, you could say the game gained a fair momentum after all 3 DLCs were released. The last month and half in 2018 made almost as much as the five months that preceded it.

This month there should be the second tranche of dividends from Fig; we'll see then how Deadfire did in 2019, with the release of TB mode.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus