Suggestion for companion's class selection

I really love that you get to have some choice over what class your companions are when they're recruited. It makes replays even more fun, it keeps things fresh, and because you've played the game before, you can plan out your party in a new way. 

The thing is, after replaying the game a few times, it'd be great if I could select any class for companions. Obviously, you can recruit hirelings, but I like the banter, interactions, and interjections of real companions. Mods and other console commands disable achievements, which make me think they're not really sanctioned by obsidian (and besides that, I've earned every achievement, so that's not the point).

Obviously, it's silly for people to make their characters invincible and then go get every achievement, which is why I assume they get disabled. But what if there was a Berath Blessing that let you select a fourth option for classes on companion recruitment that let you make their class from scratch. 

I did this back in the day for BG2. I wanted to play with Minsc, but didn't want another melee, so I turned him into an archer. I liked Jaheira's character, but I wanted a sorcerer in party this go around. 

The main drawback I see is that you can make characters classes that conflict with their personality (barbarian Aloth), but the thing is, I've already beaten the game. I know the story. I'm choosing to do it this way. And besides, there some conflicts anyway. Serafen can be a barbarian but obviously he still has cipher powers in his introduction. That's why I thought a Berath Blessing made sense, it means you've played the game and you're sacrificing something else for meta knowledge you've gained in previous playthroughs. 

Mods that do stuff like this are buggy and unsupported for this patch. 

Anyway, just a thought. Would be so dope! 

Originally, when multiclassing was to be more flexible (dnd3 style) companions would pick first class from limited selection, and then could multiclass which whatever you wanted them to. Obsidian's answer to roleplaying was: "you pick the class, it is up to you to explain why Eder can cast spells now". 

When they changed how multiclassing works they limited class options for the companion. The reason gives was unexpected UI issues. 

So I don't think there is anything on design level that would stop Obsidian from doing that - just that it might take more work, then one might expect.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Originally, when multiclassing was to be more flexible (dnd3 style) companions would pick first class from limited selection, and then could multiclass which whatever you wanted them to. Obsidian's answer to roleplaying was: "you pick the class, it is up to you to explain why Eder can cast spells now". 

When they changed how multiclassing works they limited class options for the companion. The reason gives was unexpected UI issues. 

So I don't think there is anything on design level that would stop Obsidian from doing that - just that it might take more work, then one might expect.

Ah, that makes sense. And it's perfectly reasonable. I imagine it's just a can of worms bug-wise. It's just so unfortunate :( 

On a side note, great profile photo, completely forgot about the Laughing Man. 

• Thanks 1