What is your most and least favorite locations in Deadfire?

For some strange reason my favorite is Port Maje - small town, survived a storm. Art and music creates some warm and comfort atmosphere. Also i very appreciate design idea of Evon Devr bridge with all those "Second before", "Second after" - brilliant idea, never seen such things before.

And i don't like all tropical huana villages. They are not bad itself, but very generic in my taste.

I'm curious what places are most liked / unliked by other peoples?

Edited by Phenomenum

I really liked the Forgotten Sanctum dungeons. They were so interconnected with each other: doing one thing in one wing could help you in another, and the fact the levels had many entrances/exits connected to neighboring maps was really fun. I also liked the fact that your touchstone was those two wizards, it helped guide you and relay what the whole area was about narrative and theme wise. Honestly, I wish the main story path quests were similarly as robust (not as long, but similar in features).  

I disliked the Obsidian Isle dungeon (ironically, the entrance to the Forgotten Sanctum). I get that it's Wael and it's supposed to not make sense, but it was difficult to discern any meaning connected to hitting those switches. It was just trial and error and not that fun. I do appreciate that is was trying to be something different, though, and all the doors opened when you solved it, which was nice. I just dislike puzzles that aren't a pattern you have to figure out. There's no pay off because you figured out how to think about something differently, just a surprise that it's suddenly over.  

• Thanks 1

I think it should be in "spoiler" subforum. Tis difficult to discuss areas, without spoiling anything. 

I liked all of the "choose your approach dungeons" the most, be it Fort Deadlight, Slavers camp or Nimnoks temple. From DLCs Beast of Winters inBetween has special place in me heart.

I liked the least the finale - such a not fulfilled potential there, for some epic story and combat time. Far too short for a conclusion of a lengthy adventure. 

I love Neketaka (easy answer), with all the different districts, mainly the Queen's Berth. Poko Kohara and Port Maje were interesting too. I like the Vailian aesthetic.

I didn't dislike any area in special.

Beast of Winter Island, Deadfort - but also like the Forgotten Sanctum a lot.

Edit:  Whoops meant Oathbinder Sanctum lol

Disliked:

That some were too short :)

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Aesthetically liked most:

- Vilario's Rest beach

- Port Maje city

- Sātahuzi 

- Neketaka. Most of it. With a few highlights like that place were you find Worthless Idiot (scr) and Serpents Crown.

Aesthetically liked least:

- deserts of Poko Kohara?

- Old City? 

P.S. haven't played through SSS and FS yet. Waiting for the patch^^

Edited by MaxQuest

least enjoyable:

the multitude o' brief encounters scattered throughout the deadfire map to provide players with the raison d'être to explore. the rest were fine.

were/is a fundamental mistake the obsidian developers insist on revisiting. a few developers at obsidian believe, regardless o' feedback or evidence to contrary, that players want a multitude o' one-off encounters in the metaphorical wilderness. a cabin filled with malarite druids bent on hunting those who violate their territory, or a bunch o' hobgoblin bandits ambushing you on the way to baldur's gate, or a handful o' eoten on a lonely mountain path looking to make a meal out o' your party-- doesn't matter the game, obsidian believes these is the kinda encounters players want to achieve the ephemeral sense o' exploration.

furthermore, and more curious, is how a couple developers believe such stuff is essential for player agency.  need more tangential, insular and discrete encounters so player may make more choices and alter order o' completion o' quests. somehow the gestalt o' all these little encounters is the making o' the player's story

am understanding the problem insofar as agency and exploration is concerned.  is an elusive critical mass o' tangential and optional side questing which players must need discover through some kinda seeming mindless travel, to achieve exploration and promote agency. the problem being game developer resources is finite and is functional impossible to develop the tangential side stuff. so we get deadfire with the vast majority o' forgettably brief encounters scattered almost random 'cross the deadfire world map, which genuine satisfies almost nobody. 

the little one-offs don't do anything for enhancement o' player agency and story. the little one-offs do little to satisfy those who demand more exploration. am therefore disappointed to see we must needs revisit this issue with so many obsidian titles. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

were/is a fundamental mistake the obsidian developers insist on revisiting. a few developers at obsidian believe, regardless o' feedback or evidence to contrary, that players want a multitude o' one-off encounters in the metaphorical wilderness. a cabin filled with malarite druids bent on hunting those who violate their territory, or a bunch o' hobgoblin bandits ambushing you on the way to baldur's gate, or a handful o' eoten on a lonely mountain path looking to make a meal out o' your party-- doesn't matter the game, obsidian believes these is the kinda encounters players want to achieve the ephemeral sense o' exploration.

Feedback from you perhaps. I for one love this stuff. I wish Deadfire had a bit more of "Storm of Zehir" in there. That overworld map just begs for a wee bit of simulation. 

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Feedback from you perhaps. I for one love this stuff. I wish Deadfire had a bit more of "Storm of Zehir" in there. That overworld map just begs for a wee bit of simulation. 

every game.  every. have pointed this out every single time. no matter which way obsidian or bio or whichever developer goes with exploration, there will be some folks who says the developer went too far in the wrong direction.  bg2 didn't have enough. storm o' zehir went too far. poe didn't have enough. whatever. every game.

the feedback is misleading 'til you actual look at it, 'cause initial the overall feedback says, do more like the previous game. 

however, feedback even for storm o' zehir and baldur's gate and deadfire and any similar crpg putting an emphasis on exploration is gonna also reveal to any developer actual paying attention, the bulk o' the exploration encounters which made up strom o' zehir and bg and deadfire is the stuff folks claim is the least enjoyable parts o' those games. getting jumped by malarites in a storm o' zehir hunting cabin were utter random and offered little in the way o' unique gameplay-- were in fact the equivalent o' any random encounter, save it happened in a hunting cabin. eoten on a mountainside. hobgoblin ambush. gnolls guarding some random wilderness patch. xaurips... am not even gonna try and come up with a why for a few deadfire xaurip encounters or how such is presenting us with unique gameplay. is filler or padding or whatever.

and yeah, is always some folks who says bg2 or poe didn't have enough exploration, the problem is when you look at these kinda threads and realize the exploration one-offs is the stuff folks(as a whole) always dislike most. 'cause o' finite resources, the two design aspects is inextricable linked and developers never appear to make the connection. instead, they simple swing like the pendulum, going back and forth on exploration-- too much and then too little. too little exploration is never actual the problem. utter misleading. sure, folks want more exploration, but only the most miniscule and insignificant % o' feedback is from people who like hobgoblin ambushes. 

am waiting for a developer epiphany which will never happen.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

All the city districts in Neketaka. I really loved exploring that place. And it made a really nice counterpoint to when you travelled out to the smaller towns, like Sayuka. I find they sorta help each other in terms of atmosphere.

Don't know about least favorite but I think the Old City is up there. I really disliked the "corpse disease" effect since it would cause my game to go into slowdown (always played combat on slowest speed) and cause my characters to stop sneaking. Annoying.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Least favorite, for me, was Port Maje and the rest of the island. This is the first dungeon of the game so In realize it should be easy but after half a dozen play throughs it was kind of boring.

I haven't played for several months so I don't remember the name of the place but it was not available until late in the game and it was the island where you had many arena fights with lots of opponents. That was fun.

Liked Most:

- Bekarna's Observatory

- Evon Dewr (A Bridge Ablaze in BoW)

- The rest of BoW

- Ruins of Poko Kohara exterior.

- Queen's Berth

Liked Least:

- None. Old City is the least aesthetically pleasing, but it serves its purpose being the least aesthetically pleasing location in the game :)