Change the weapon model for Aldris

My favorite sabre in the game is the Aldris Blade of Captain Crow. It fits well with my high crit characters. 

Regarding it's appearance, it has a really sleek blade with cool glyphs etched on the side. It's great. 

The handle on the other hand is just awful. It is such a break in immersion that my sinister ninja type character has to stick his hand into the golden chicken carcass whenever he pulls his weapon. 

Request:

Is there anyone here who can mod the model for this weapon so that we can keep the cool blade, but just replace the handle with a regular sabre handle?

I know that I can just change the weapon model entirely, but I really wanted to preserve the blade on this weapon if possible.

I am sure this is more complicated than a simple change in the gamedatabundle, but I am hoping that some of the awesome people in this forum might know how to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Fhav6X. 

See the below image. Also, it looks like the model ID in the game data bundle is sabre09.  

• "ModelVisualDataPath": "prefabs/items/appearance/weapons/sabre/a_sabre09.asset"

Thanks in advance!

image.png.a125e36ffb8f5799c21fbe581f62b78d.png

8 hours ago, Fhav6X said:

It is not possible to swap the hilt of this sabre since it is one big model. But it is possible to make those wings invisible.

I made a small mod for it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/321/

I hope it satisfies your request.

Thank you very much Fhav6x! Those wings were indeed the biggest problem with the model. I am very grateful for your help. 

• 1 month later...

@Fhav6X: Hi there! I have a quick question and hope it's easy to answer:

Since you were able to remove the wings from that sabre - would it also be possible to remove only the "ball" from the flail "Ball and Chain" and keep the chain?  I suspect it's one model and only the handle is separate, but don't know for sure... :(

ball_and_chain_screenshot.png?dl=1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Fhav6X said:

You are lucky the flail model is divided in separate parts, which makes it very easy to deactivate the ball.

But you will probably have to reinstall, patch and reapply the mod every time a new game patch comes out. 

Wow! Thank you from all of us. @Boeroer asked you for help, because it's needed for our Trinkets part of Community Patch.

See, Boeroer - now all your fantasies will come true ;)

P.S. But this mod will change original Flail model. But we want to create a new weapon with new ID and model name, i guess. How we can do this?

Edited by Phenomenum

It would be easy to create a duplicate of the flail's "AppearancePiece" prefab, one without the ball, but....

Flail seem to be the only weapon class that does not have an "AppearancePiece" prefab. They are generated differently. And I have no clue how.

3 hours ago, Fhav6X said:

@ Boeroer

You are lucky the flail model is divided in separate parts, which makes it very easy to deactivate the ball.

But you will probably have to reinstall, patch and reapply the mod every time a new game patch comes out.

ball and chain unballed.rar 403.2 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks a bunch! Since there will be no more patches for Deadfire I think we are safe. :)

As @Phenomenum said: we need that "unballed" model as basis for an alternative spiritual weapon for Skaen Priests. Since Skean's is the god that is worshipped by slaves I thought that broken shackles would be nice. Ball and Chain without Ball looks like shackles. So... Nice! :)

2 minutes ago, Fhav6X said:

It would be easy to create a duplicate of the flail's "AppearancePiece" prefab, one without the ball, but....

Flail seem to be the only weapon class that does not have an "AppearancePiece" prefab. They are generated differently. And I have no clue how.

I guess it's because of the custom physics that move flails in the inventory screen and so on. No other weapon has movable parts I guess...?