Patch Notes for 5.0.0

Is it fair to assume that despite significant feedback suggesting that changing the turn based mode by altering the way action speed, dexterity, etc could impact a characters frequency to act (action economy?) and restore some of the strategic depth of combat available in Rtwp, now that it's out of beta we are essentially looking at the final product of turn based mode?

Also, is there any rationale developers can share regarding this issue?  Is it related to pen and paper rules/players?  Thank you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveSteve said:

This patch has disabled the ability to re-target spells in turn-based mode, but there is no patch note about it. Is this change intentional or is it a bug?

That is an intentional change.

4 hours ago, -dib- said:

Any changes to how int and dex work in turn-based, considering that they are total dump stats at the moment?

1 hour ago, countblah2 said:

Is it fair to assume that despite significant feedback suggesting that changing the turn based mode by altering the way action speed, dexterity, etc could impact a characters frequency to act (action economy?) and restore some of the strategic depth of combat available in Rtwp, now that it's out of beta we are essentially looking at the final product of turn based mode?

Also, is there any rationale developers can share regarding this issue?  Is it related to pen and paper rules/players?  Thank you.

Great question - that feedback was very common and we definitely agreed with it.  In this patch, Dexterity now grants a bonus to Stride in turn-based mode in addition to its other bonuses.  Stride is a very useful stat in TBM, so this should make Dexterity more attractive once again.  I have no idea how this missed the patch notes; I'll see what's up there.

Yes, now that TBM is out of beta we won't be making any more content or balance changes.

The pen-and-paper game is entirely separate from the video game; they don't share any systems.

• Like 4

On 4/26/2019 at 7:32 AM, Cdiaz said:

Players should no longer be experiencing low frame rates due to multiple NPC's being on screen at once.

It still happens and in fact, load times have gotten longer!

Please fix this, it's been this way since launch. 

6 minutes ago, Yosharian said:

How is INT a dump stat in Turn-based mode?

Well I'm still not entirely sure how it works, but because duration is measured by rounds, the "ability duration" aspect of Int only seems to be effective if you can hit the break point to make an effect last another round (which takes about 20+ for most abilities). It doesn't seem to be able to make an ability last partially into the next round from what I can tell, and so anyone who doesn't use a lot of AOEs doesn't really need it.

56 minutes ago, Novem said:

Well I'm still not entirely sure how it works, but because duration is measured by rounds, the "ability duration" aspect of Int only seems to be effective if you can hit the break point to make an effect last another round (which takes about 20+ for most abilities). It doesn't seem to be able to make an ability last partially into the next round from what I can tell, and so anyone who doesn't use a lot of AOEs doesn't really need it.

That's only for very short-duration abilities that last, say, 1 or 2 rounds.  And even ones that last 2 rounds can quite easily reach 3 rounds if you have decent INT.

Abilities that last for 5+ rounds are easily boosted dramatically by INT.

I recently build a custom 5-man party and almost every single character had maxed INT because the boost in buff/debuff duration is really powerful.

I can't deny that for some characters, average or only slightly above-average INT is fine, but a dump stat?  No way.

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 1

Loading times are indeed significantly longer now. I'm on an SSD and so far they were very short for me. They are still not tediously long but it's noticable.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

34 minutes ago, Pillars of fan said:

I'm still hoping to be able as an option to play turn based mode starting the expansions one day instead of having to re-start the game in turn based mode.

It’s been unlikely to happen when TB announced, and it will not happen now when development has been halted. Sorry. 

I personally would like to switch into RTwP, because some of the fights can just drag forever in TB. Alas, the system doesn’t support switching between one and another.

1 hour ago, Waski said:

I see blackwood hull and dragon wing sails in Neketaka...  Or it's just because I started that playthrough before 5.0?

Same here, and I believe that's exactly the reason.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ Afaik vendor's item list is generated for the first time when you enter his scene.

I guess Zamar's list was populated when you entered Queen's Berth.

Edited by MaxQuest

Just now, MaxQuest said:

^ Afaik vendor's item list is populated for the first time when you enter his scene.

I guess Zamar's list was populated when you entered Queen's Berth.

I think I was still in Maje when the patch went live. Besides I've just reloaded save from before Neketaka to check,  went there and hull and sails are in Zamar's stock. 

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Yes, performance is better with 5.0, especially in crowded areas - i'm getting almost constant 60 fps with ReShade and 70-75 without one. BUT! Storm weather drops fps to 40-45, boarding fights also. Opening and closing game menu drops fps by 5-7 frames (i experienced this strange effect on two different systems). Micro freezes on assets load still there (no preload to VRAM it's a shame). And Queen's Berth + storm weather bring fps counter to 30-35 fps.

So, in comparison with other games with open-world and decent graphics, Deadfire still one of the most unoptimized games ever.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

After the 5.0 update blackwood hull disapeared from Neketaka... but didn't appear at the Splintered Reef. I have all 5 blackwood logs and enough money, but the recipe doesn't appear anywhere (I've already checked and doubleckecked all the stores in game :( - useless). At the same time everything worked perfectly with dragon wing sails.

What am I doing wrong?