Amentep

The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

The Matrix 4 is happening

Look, I like Keanu as much as the next guy but...

1407.gif

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Hmmm 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, algroth said:

It smells like a cash grab, considering how the Wachowski sisters' last few projects have done and so on. That said, this is a cool video on the Matrix sequels:

(video)

am kinda with numbers on this. we didn't see a need for the sequels, so we sure don't recognize a good  reason for a 4th short o' a cash grab.

alternative: perhaps is a sunk-cost fallacy issue? wachowskis is so invested that they cannot get themselves out of the matrix. just one more movie (or one more trilogy) will save their vision? and one more. and one more. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"Those who won our independence by revolution were not cowards. They did not fear political change. They did not exalt order at the cost of liberty. To courageous, self-reliant men, with confidence in the power of free and fearless reasoning applied through the processes of popular government, no danger flowing from speech can be deemed clear and present, unless the incidence of the evil apprehended is so imminent that it may befall before there is opportunity for full discussion. If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."--Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

Loving this record, it's full of really dense, alien textures with just enough of that pluralist fusion of the likes of Future Sounds of London or the Blade Runner soundtracks, to create that sort of compelling futurist experience, and with added spirituality to boot. Worth seeking out the full record (which, for Spotify users, can be found here).

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

People are wondering how Trinity and Neo play into a direct sequel to the original trilogy and here I am hung up on how the Resistance gets out of the Matrix now that pay phones aren't a thing anymore.

"Turned wrong way round, the relentless unforeseen was what we schoolchildren studied as 'History,' harmless history, where everything unexpected in its own time is chronicled on the page as inevitable. The terror of the unforeseen is what the science of history hides, turning a disaster into an epic.”

-Philip Roth, The Plot Against America

"Always write angry letters to your enemies. Never mail them."

-James Fallows

On 8/20/2019 at 4:25 PM, 213374U said:

The Matrix 4 is happening

Look, I like Keanu as much as the next guy but...

Yeah, I read about this elsewhere and shook my head. I admit to being mildly curious what excuses they'll come up with to explain/get past the way the 3rd film ended, but not enough to be all that interested in watching it. Maybe when I'm stuck in bed with a cold someday. But whatever. Maybe it'll surprise us.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm quite intrigued by this. The trailer may seem a bit "budget Interstellar" but looking at the names associated with this film it has the chance of being something quite special. James Gray's a pretty interesting director, Hoyte van Hoytema (also responsible for Interstellar) is in my opinion the finest cinematographer working today, Max Richter is an excellent composer, and the cast should be quite strong too. Then again it could all turn out to be a bit Counsellor too.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire