The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

Amentep

I get the Scorcese sentiment in that these big action movies are not leaning on acting and direction the way more traditional films do. They do feel like theme parks, but I don't see that as a bad thing. They are big and fun, and they still require decent acting to seem believable. Honestly, there should be different categoeies for them. There shouldn't be a best picture. You should have different genres that stand on their own. Scorcese is a master of a specific type of film. Why does he need to tear down other types?

• Like 1

Oh, forgot to add that I rewatched part if Dolomite today with my wife, and it definitely hold up as the best movie I have seen in ages. I didn't realize how much I missed Eddie Murphy on screen. How is thia movie based on a true story. Go watch it people!

The GoT dudes have officially walked away from their Star Wars trilogy due to scheduling. I've read that Johnson's trilogy isn't anywhere close to beginning filming, if it's still happening at all, so I wonder if they can still hit their 2022, 2024, 2026 release schedule

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

The Dolemite film is, afaik, a dream project for Eddie Murphy. So I figured he'd be bringing his best.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Shining (1980). I wasn't sure that I'd like it going into it (my impression was that the movie was too over the top and absurdist for me), but it's actually fine overall. Still, I wasn't big on the more fantastic elements of the movie: would've preferred them to tone it down for something a little more grounded, but the fact that I still thought it was decent even going into it with a "meh" outlook is nice.

Shelley Duvall was the star of the show in this for me - her subtle way of just kind of taking Jack's abuse as he gets more and more insane until she reaches her breaking point was great. I'd seen the "here's Johnny!" scene isolated before, and I always thought she seemed ridiculously, comedically overwrought, but it was a completely different experience with the context of seeing the rest of the movie first.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

To be fair, books as a medium are significantly better (at least for me) at carrying fantastic and crazy elements than film.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Finally had a chance to watch Dolemite Is My Name. Eddi Murphy does a hell of a Rudy Ray Moore impression, but there's really only one original. Great film and a superb cast. Great work even from Wesley Snipes, but I'm presuming he just played himself, considering how much of an entitled diva he's supposed to be on set. :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I'll check it out when I can but I've just been so short on time lately. I'm way behind on movies and shows. Still need to watch Spiderman 2 and Captain Marvel.

Both of those are hot garbage compared to the masterpiece of Dolomite.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Ha! I meant it as a measure of how long ago it's been since I've seen a movie. I did see the Avengers which was maybe the last one I've seen. I dunno, I should probably go back through this thread in case I'm forgetting something. 

finally saw avengers 'bout a month ago. wanted to make sure we saw captain marvel before endgame, but took us a long time to get around to see captain marvel.

next on our watch list is tv stuff, though is via netflix discs. have been meaning to see true detective's 3rd season for some time.

only two movies we wanna see from 2019 which ain't current in theatre is tigers are not afraid and an elephant sitting still.  am not a horror fan... at all, so is always weird when am looking forward to a movie such as tigers. am certain the trailer were already posted, but am too lazy to find and link, so...

am suspecting an elephant sitting still will require us being in the right frame o' mind to appreciate... which sounds like a criticism, but isn't. we see "the world is a wasteland" appear in a trailer for a movie and 99.9% o' the time our reaction is gonna be to wanna punch the director and/or writer in the face.  am nevertheless intrigued, but am knowing we gotta be a bit less our ordinary curmudgeon self if am gonna give it an honest viewing. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We finally had a chance to watch a movie and it wasn't the Eddie Murphy one. My wife really wanted to see Bad Moms so that's what we watched. We thought it was pretty good but wondered if it it would have been as funny if we weren't parents.

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 11/2/2019 at 8:48 PM, Gromnir said:

am suspecting an elephant sitting still will require us being in the right frame o' mind to appreciate... which sounds like a criticism, but isn't. we see "the world is a wasteland" appear in a trailer for a movie and 99.9% o' the time our reaction is gonna be to wanna punch the director and/or writer in the face.  am nevertheless intrigued, but am knowing we gotta be a bit less our ordinary curmudgeon self if am gonna give it an honest viewing. 

HA! Good Fun!

I've heard very good things about it from friends who've seen it, and I'm very intrigued. Some compared it to the likes of Béla Tarr or Theo Angelopoulos which goes without saying that is very high praise indeed, and also likely means it's bound to be a challenging and sombre experience (my understanding is that the film's also four hours long to boot). I'll try getting around to it myself, though as you say, it's certainly one to watch in the right frame of mind.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I watched Dolemite Is My Name. As comedies go, it was one of the better ones I've seen and it was nice to see Eddie Murphy again.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands