The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

Amentep

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Apparently one of the characters in the new Dune movie is getting gender and race swapped. Based on the level of outcry on another forum I thought it was going to be Jessica or Paul. Turns out it was Dr. Kynes. What is the big deal? That guy was on about 10 pages and that was it. Of course once the SJW camel gets it's nose under the tent other BS changes start happening.  Maybe there is still time for Jessica to become Jessie, Leto's black gay concubine. LOL, that STILL would not be worse than that POS version they made in the 80's with Patrick Stewart in it! 

Yeah, but I'm fairly confident it won't have glistening sweaty Sting in winged briefs, so it'll be DOA.

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

34 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Yeah, but I'm fairly confident it won't have glistening sweaty Sting in winged briefs, so it'll be DOA.

We'll probably get Justin Beiber.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 9/30/2019 at 5:53 PM, algroth said:

Another fantastic piece by Lindsay Ellis.

A few thoughts.

1. It's not like Disney's history is gone. At least they aren't endorsing their historical content, and they have re-released old material with a preamble to disavow the content. I don't buy that they are trying to bury the past, it's just their most recent statement of intent. In some ways they are actually dredging up the past as a result. Though in a dangerous way, which Lindsay does sort of touch on, being Disney's "racism blind" take on historically placeable works. It's more like Disney is saying "it's okay to shirk our responsibility to accurately depict the past" to current generations. Liberating people virtually through carefully constructed, monetization theme parks and portals-de-la-film seems to be Disney's modus operandi.

2. By only partially reworking the internal logic of classics, they basically deconstruct their own forced message by showing how the added side narratives fails to win they day, as the original thrust of the story inevitably wins out in the end. This seems to usually happen around some sort of identity narrative, which tries to say "remember, Z type person is part of the solution too" when the story is just a particular one-off capturing of a particular turn of events. Those works are in no way a statement on how "X type person solves Y problem for Z type person." There is usually some archetypes relating to jealousy, ego, and folly as the villain which is overcome through some embodiment of virtue or responsibility by a hero. Simba was not meant to be a "girls have to be saved by boys story" but by trying to prove that girls don't need saving in the remake, they make it about just that... Disney has been on a roll for being wack recently.

3. The Banks being pinkos but obsessed with their material identity. That's super hilarious. That somehow passed me by (probably because I fell asleep during the middle of the movie.) I always felt that remake was a confused soulless husk of a film. It's trying to have it's cake and eat it too. Or is it eat the rich but eat the cake too?

I went to see Rambo Last Blood and it made me wish this truly was the last Rambo movie. It wasn't bad like Rambo 3. It just didn't have any Rambo specific stuff. It could have been literally anyone who went on a revenge rampage after someone dear to them got killed. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

To be fair, the FBI was looking at Jewel before the news ran with it due to an insider tip they got from the FBI, but it's a good example of what can happen wrong in both FBI investigations and in news reporting.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I feel I'd be more interested in that film if I wasn't aware of Clint Eastwood's very vocal stance on "PC culture" and the likes in this more recent era ("we see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren’t called racist", says someone whose formative years were the 30s and 40s). Already the trailer feels very patronising and I wouldn't be surprised for him to be establishing a direct link between this case and the people who are rather correctly outed for hate speech, sexual misconduct and so on. Which is not to say I'm against decrying social media's tendency to condemn people before they have a chance to defend themselves against allegations, or for misinterpreting one's words and so on (see Jon Ronson's excellent TED talk How One Tweet Can Ruin Your Life for example), but the way he's approached this subject in interviews, statements and so on is one that tells me his position on the matter is no more insightful, informed or empathetic than that of any regular Trump supporter crying oppression when criticized for the use of slurs and the likes. I'll check it out if I hear differently once reviews and early word is out, but right now I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot.

Which sounds odder than it is.

Actually a very low key film. Sam Elliot as the slightly misanthropic old man, a bitter recluse, who it turns out, was a semi-mythic solider/assassin for the US in his younger days. You get the slow opening of his daily life, interspersed with short flashbacks which establish his history (Which yes, includes killing Hitler), while background news reports on some serial killer on the US/Canadian border crop up. This leads into government officials turning up to tempt him to return to duty for various reasons to hunt down and kill The Bigfoot, which is apparently infected with some strange disease that if allowed to get into the population could be devastating.  

It's an oddly paced film, and it definitely doesn't fit in the action genre. Much more the slow-paced Adventure/Drama area. An old man pondering how his life led him, the love he lost, whether the people he killed ever actually changed anything.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 10/1/2019 at 12:36 PM, Guard Dog said:

Apparently one of the characters in the new Dune movie is getting gender and race swapped. Based on the level of outcry on another forum I thought it was going to be Jessica or Paul. Turns out it was Dr. Kynes. What is the big deal? That guy was on about 10 pages and that was it. Of course once the SJW camel gets it's nose under the tent other BS changes start happening.  Maybe there is still time for Jessica to become Jessie, Leto's black gay concubine. LOL, that STILL would not be worse than that POS version they made in the 80's with Patrick Stewart in it! 

Well, it´s easy to question what´s the big deal when changes as these comes to the original script. Now just try to image for a second alternate universe, where Kevin Feige would besides female Thor announce for MCU 4 also white Blade and male Captain Marvel ;) The Twitter mob would probably try to cancel everybody in California, for allowing that to happen 😄 

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Joker

Hmm, Im not sure how I feel. Phoenixs' portrayal was outstanding and it was an interesting depiction of Jokers origin story. But it also clocks in at over two hours and there were a few times I glanced at my phone to see how much time was left. Im not sure how it compares to Joker's comic book canon but I was surprised by

the age difference between him and Bruce Wayne.

9 minutes ago, DekarServerbot said:

lol typo says own instead of WON

pretty sure the typo wasn't the problem.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

La maschera del demonio AKA The Mask of Satan AKA Black Sunday (1960). An Italian film, it's difficult to believe that this was released only a year before Viridiana (I picked out Viridiana, the person I generally watch movies with picked out this one) - it's so dated in almost every single way except maybe visuals to a degree. A rather miserable watch, it had really bad audio (why was the original audio track removed and then the movie redubbed with a new Italian track? So awful...is this an Italian thing?), lots of awkward editing and scene transitions, hit-you-over-the-head-obviousness, ultra predictable plotting, and just laughably terrible characters that were making me hope evil would win the day from almost the start of the movie, which, of course, they didn't, and instead the young fop who I was hoping to be the first killed is the "hero". Ugh.

(e): Also, I have a special hatred for movies where women swing wildly between the acting dichotomy of "stupid and hysterical" vs. "pathetic and/or fainting". Bah.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Were you watching the US version (rooted from AIP) or the Italian version?  Bava's films didn't fare well in their US cuts.  Its been a long time since I've seen Black Sunday (I think I've seen both versions, but alas couldn't tell you their differences), but I don't recall it being terrible (with the consideration that Italian horror films do things differently than most other horror films).  I think there's three or four different English language edits of the film of varying lengths.

As a side not Black Sunday is loosely based on Gogol's story Viy.  There's a good Russian/Soviet adaption of the same story Viy 1967.

Viy trailer

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I believe it's the Italian version, The Mask of Satan (UK-sourced BluRay/DVD combo with both the Mask of Satan and Black Sunday - we watched the former, and it's my understanding that that is the Italian version).

I saw a different trailer for Viy yesterday after we watched The Mask of Satan (since we looked it up and saw that it was based on it).

I think I would die from the awkwardness of this film if I saw it, :p.

At least Black Sunday has a cool poster.

0w6x90.jpg

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Lake Mungo, a very convincing australian horror mockumentary that I'm sure must have inspired the recent The Haunting of Hill House series. Very creepy, and if I had come across it on TV without being aware of it being fake I would have wholeheartedly believed it and I probably would have stopped sleeping altogether.