The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

Amentep

I remember (very mildly) resenting Woody's chr. when he replaced Coach on Cheers. That didn't last long since he was hilarious. Eons later, I almost consider him a precious treasure. One of those actors that when he appears in a movie you may otherwise be finding a bit lackluster, you may think "this film just got a bit better now"

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Once upon a time...in Hollywood

Really enjoyed it. It might be Tarantino's most upbeat film in a way, and a charming mix mash of real and fiction on several layers.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

27 minutes ago, algroth said:

Looks pretty damn good!

agreed, but anybody other than joe mantegna doing anthony salerno seems wrong. also, we thought michael shannon woulda' been ideal for the role o' frank sheeran. am a big fan o' de niro, but a younger and taller sheeran mighta been worth considering? de niro is under 6' and 75. have de niro referred to as "kid" were weird, no?

HA! Good Fun!

ps the trailer for tigers are not afraid looks intriguing. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Glorious

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 7/31/2019 at 12:15 PM, Gromnir said:

agreed, but anybody other than joe mantegna doing anthony salerno seems wrong. also, we thought michael shannon woulda' been ideal for the role o' frank sheeran. am a big fan o' de niro, but a younger and taller sheeran mighta been worth considering? de niro is under 6' and 75. have de niro referred to as "kid" were weird, no?

I don't know much about the real character, but based on a quick search I could see Shannon in the role for certain. It's funny how nicknames work too, sometimes you get one when you're a kid and it just sticks, regardless of incongruences. In my group of friends there's a "gordo" who got his nickname as a chubby 8-year-old but has been nothing but ripped since he was 15, and yet the name stuck. I suspect some "kids" always remain that way despite their age.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

"The Irishman" looks like a shoddy attempt to recapture glory days of "Goodfellas". Except Pesci couldn't be bothered to do anything for a while now, and Scorsese is a class of his own, delivering quality stories for so many many years. I am sold. Which reminds me that I need to catch up on the more recent Scorsese movies. With fear I watch myself pick easy to swallow garbage, over challening and unpleasant cinema. 

1917 from the trailer looks like Dunkirk - impressive spectacle. Meh. 

1 minute ago, algroth said:

You say this like it's a bad thing. 😄

It's just not something that really works for me. If we go for spectacle I like for it to be more detatched and visually appealing. Dunkirk did make me dip back into IL-2 Sturmovik once again though. 

Oh, I will certainly catch the rerelease of Apocalypse Now. Love the movie, never had a chance to see it on the big screen. 

Just now, Wormerine said:

It's just not something that really works for me. If we go for spectacle I like for it to be more detatched and visually appealing. Dunkirk did make me dip back into IL-2 Sturmovik once again though.  

Oh, I will certainly catch the rerelease of Apocalypse Now. Love the movie, never had a chance to see it on the big screen. 

Well, I disagree with the notion that spectacle is all there is to Dunkirk for starters, but even taking it by those terms I think it's one of the most visually appealling and thrilling cinematic experiences we've had this side of Fury Road. By detatched do you mean a preference for something more fantastical? Or something else? If so, fair enough, though I think that Apocalypse Now stands as yet another example of how of a more grounded/realist approach can be incredible on a sheer spectacle level as well.

1 minute ago, algroth said:

Well, I disagree with the notion that spectacle is all there is to Dunkirk for starters, but even taking it by those terms I think it's one of the most visually appealling and thrilling cinematic experiences we've had this side of Fury Road. By detatched do you mean a preference for something more fantastical? Or something else? If so, fair enough, though I think that Apocalypse Now stands as yet another example of how of a more grounded/realist approach can be incredible on a sheer spectacle level as well.

Spectacle is all I got from Dunkirk, though I don't mean to criticise the film. I am also biased against Nolan's films, prefering his earlier, lower budget works. Blame hipster deep inside me. The only movie of his, though, that I genuinely didn't enjoy was Interstellar (and even that had individual bits that I liked).

Dunkirk was a thrilling ride, and plane sequences were a personal highlight to me. By detatched, I do mean fantastical (Fury Road being one of the finer examples). No question about Dunkirk's quality and craft though.

I will be seeing the rerelease of Apocalypse Now. Love the movie(s?), never had a chance to see it on a big screen. Sadly no IMAX in a dumpster that is Belfast (that's probaby my main complain since moving here about a year ago.) 

19 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Spectacle is all I got from Dunkirk, though I don't mean to criticise the film. I am also biased against Nolan's films, prefering his earlier, lower budget works. Blame hipster deep inside me. The only movie of his, though, that I genuinely didn't enjoy was Interstellar (and even that had individual bits that I liked). 

Dunkirk was a thrilling ride, and plane sequences were a personal highlight to me. By detatched, I do mean fantastical (Fury Road being one of the finer examples). No question about Dunkirk's quality and craft though.

I will be seeing the rerelease of Apocalypse Now. Love the movie(s?), never had a chance to see it on a big screen. Sadly no IMAX in a dumpster that is Belfast (that's probaby my main complain since moving here about a year ago.)  

I recall you being Polish, which made the change of location to Belfast curious. Why the move, work-related I presume?

Regarding Dunkirk, I see from a quick search that we've discussed it before, right here:

I still abscribe to what I've written there, and really I think both Dunkirk and, funny enough, Interstellar have only solidified themselves as favorites from Nolan's output to my eyes over time, second maybe The Prestige. I do think part of it has to do with Hoyte van Hoytema's excellent photography as usual but also his influence on Nolan over time - Nolan's claimed in past interviews that he's watched films like Tarkovsky's The Mirror or Bresson's work through Hoytema's recommendation and both of these have served as influence to Interstellar and Dunkirk respectively. Looking forward to Tenet next year too, which should mark their third collaboration.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, algroth said:

I recall you being Polish, which made the change of location to Belfast curious. Why the move, work-related I presume?

Regarding Dunkirk, I see from a quick search that we've discussed it before, right here:

We did indeed. 😃

Correct. Work-related.

3 hours ago, Wormerine said:

We did indeed. 😃

Correct. Work-related.

Ah well, I hope you're not suffering it too badly. Though I would like at some point visit Belfast myself! 😄

Regarding 1917, I reckon it looks pretty good, and with Roger Deakins behind the lens I reckon it'll look pretty good too. But I'm not necessarily getting the impression it'll be a new war classic either. We'll see.

5 hours ago, algroth said:

Ah well, I hope you're not suffering it too badly. Though I would like at some point visit Belfast myself! 😄

Ha! I am doing alright. There are a lot of things to like here, it’s just lacking certain amenities I’ve grown accustomed to. It’s certainly worth visiting! Interesting history and a lot to see. Some great hiking trails if you’re into such thing. Gin is pretty good as well. 

Gary Oldman in a stuck on a boat in the ocean horror/whatever movie? I'm so there.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So the highest grossing movie of all time is Avengers Endgame. It's pretty garbage. Why are movies garbage these days. I honestly remember a time with a better percentage of decent movies. 

It's probably going to get all the Oscars because it made all the money. Logic that is. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.