The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

Amentep

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

23 minutes ago, algroth said:

Not F35s?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

24 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Not F35s?

Way easier to film/ obtain for filming F18s than newer planes. The current F14 equivalents would be the F18 and F22 too, not the F35; but the F22 would be equally if not more difficult to get permission to use as the F35 I would think.

And on the PR side, you presumably will have a fair bit of dogfighting in a Top Gun 2 movie and the idea is that the F35 won't have to do any of that and the F22 can just take out anything without being detected. You need the US military onside to film, and they won't want it implied that stealth isn't an automatic win; with a non stealth plane that isn't so much of an issue and you can have whatever enemy it is seem to be a far more compelling threat.

55 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Way easier to film/ obtain for filming F18s than newer planes. The current F14 equivalents would be the F18 and F22 too, not the F35; but the F22 would be equally if not more difficult to get permission to use as the F35 I would think.

And on the PR side, you presumably will have a fair bit of dogfighting in a Top Gun 2 movie and the idea is that the F35 won't have to do any of that and the F22 can just take out anything without being detected. You need the US military onside to film, and they won't want it implied that stealth isn't an automatic win; with a non stealth plane that isn't so much of an issue and you can have whatever enemy it is seem to be a far more compelling threat.

True enoyugh on it being easier and the stealth role in PR, had just figured that this is likely to be as much as the first one was marketing and the F-35s the new hotness that they'd have those as that is the next in line for the USN.  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I watched Borat late night again, the first time I watched it was when it was first released in 2006. It must be one of the funniest movies I have ever seen because now I understand the parody and various tropes he highlights as the fictional character " Borat " 

His interview with the feminists and the speech at the Virginia rodeo was hilarious, I was reading up how many people tried to sue him and the production company  after the movie was made but almost all cases were dismissed. I almost loved his constant and intentionally fabricated " ism's " , you name it he demonstrated it,  and how people responded 🤣

Sacha Baron Cohen is a genius and the movie is a must watch if you havent seen it :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I watched Borat late night again, the first time I watched it was when it was first released in 2006. It must be one of the funniest movies I have ever seen because now I understand the parody and various tropes he highlights as the fictional character " Borat " 

His interview with the feminists and the speech at the Virginia rodeo was hilarious, I was reading up how many people tried to sue him and the production company  after the movie was made but almost all cases were dismissed. I almost loved his constant and intentionally fabricated " ism's " , you name it he demonstrated it,  and how people responded 🤣

Sacha Baron Cohen is a genius and the movie is a must watch if you havent seen it :thumbsup:

Imo his tv show had better moments than the movie. For example:

Borat in a club

Borat wine tasting (NSFW)

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Haha 1

sign.jpg

half-way through a first-ever eight-entry Fast & Furious run, for real

was told Tokyo Drift is the low point, but disagree completely ... the ethos of family, trust, and corner speed are more honestly represented than in the first, second, and fourth films combined

bonus subtext knowing Vin Diesel is a D&D nerd makes early F&F ten times more enjoyable ... and seeing how far Gal Gadot has come as an actor and entity totally validates Gromnir's suspicions back before Wonder Woman in 2017, *eight years after her debut in this series (vaya con Díos, really)

the hope now is that 5-8 ramp up the hardware ... got a GT-3 and a GT-R in 4, not much besides Evos and Eclipses prior

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

On 7/21/2019 at 3:46 AM, InsaneCommander said:

Also, Dr. Strange 2 (titled "Dr StRaNgE iN tHe MuLtIvErSe Of MaDnEsS") will feature Scarlet Witch and will be the MCU's "first horror movie".

A friend and I went and saw Lion King (the new one). It's not that it is painfully bad or anything, it just doesn't hold a candle to the original, animated movie. The CGI offers the worst of both worlds. Not realistic enough to be convincing and not "cute" enough to compete with the old animations. Story was sort of Ok'ish, the songs.... not particularly memorable. The food at the restaurant outside the cinema was good though :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

34 minutes ago, Gorth said:

A friend and I went and saw Lion King (the new one). It's not that it is painfully bad or anything, it just doesn't hold a candle to the original, animated movie. The CGI offers the worst of both worlds. Not realistic enough to be convincing and not "cute" enough to compete with the old animations. Story was sort of Ok'ish, the songs.... not particularly memorable. The food at the restaurant outside the cinema was good though :thumbsup:

Gorthfuscious why are you a hater of a modern and better world, we cant live in the old and benighted times of the past...think about the convenient,  amazing new things we have due to thinks evolving?'

I am very close to perfecting my ability to traverse the time stream with someone else so until then you not allowed to play the  classic " things were better when I was younger " card ;)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If you sometimes like nice, mellow, inspirational and beautiful movies that have zero action, cgi or major plot, could do worse than a little 2018 film called "Find Me."

I saw it via Amazon Prime. The first 15 minutes or so sets up characters and situation then moves into beautiful locations and a man's journey to find a friend, following clues and tasks she left behind for him. The ending was easily predictable for me, but still touching. Not the best movie in the world, just one of those nice small indie pictures. I had hubby watch it the next evening and he liked it about the same level.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

49 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

If you sometimes like nice, mellow, inspirational and beautiful movies that have zero action, cgi or major plot, could do worse than a little 2018 film called "Find Me."

I saw it via Amazon Prime. The first 15 minutes or so sets up characters and situation then moves into beautiful locations and a man's journey to find a friend, following clues and tasks she left behind for him. The ending was easily predictable for me, but still touching. Not the best movie in the world, just one of those nice small indie pictures. I had hubby watch it the next evening and he liked it about the same level.

But it does it have things in it  that really matter around  the overall plot and emotional narrative ...like hot women in bikini chainmail   :brows:

John Milton 

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfuscious why are you a hater of a modern and better world, we cant live in the old and benighted times of the past...think about the convenient,  amazing new things we have due to thinks evolving?'

I am very close to perfecting my ability to traverse the time stream with someone else so until then you not allowed to play the  classic " things were better when I was younger " card ;)

Thanks for confirming that you indeed are SonicMage117.  :p

Not sure about movies but animation on TV sure has taken a turn for the worse in the past 20 years.

What we watched when we were 6:

What my nephew's watching when he's visiting:

Evolution for the supreme win. Pffff.

• Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Just some Tarantino Star Trek stuff I found amusing, bolded bits emphasized by me

I don’t know how much I can say. The one thing I can say is it would deal with the Chris Pine timeline. Now, I still don’t quite understand, and JJ [Abrams] can’t explain it to me, and my editor has tried to explain it to me and I still don’t get it… about something happened in the first movie that now kind of wiped the slate clean. I don’t buy that. I don’t like it. I don’t appreciate it. I don’t — **** that… I want the whole series to have happened, it just hasn’t happened yet. No, Benedict Cumberbatch, or whatever his name is, is not Khan, alright? Khan is Khan. And I told JJ, like, ‘I don’t understand this. I don’t like it.’ And then he was like, ‘Ignore it! Nobody likes it. I don’t understand it. Just do whatever you want. If you want it to happen the exact way it happens on the series, it can.’

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2476958/quentin-tarantino-clears-up-a-mystery-about-his-star-trek-project

For anyone who likes Psych and wants to know why they say me like that click here

Edited by ShadySands
the more you know
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Ah, the wonders of modern day life...

Fuss being caused by Top Gun.. because it's been noticed that Maverick's jacket patches have been "changed".

Now the Japanese and Taiwan flags have been switched to other pictures that have the same colour scheme....    Of course, it might be a coincidence that half the finance comes from a Chinese production company...

image.png.36e7485d97a4a09f266d085dfb5791c9.png

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I watched that documentary about Mr Rogers that had a lot of interviews - I'm not sure if they're imitating specific ones in the film but they look "familiar" to me because of that, is all I'm saying. So it's really weird to see that trailer, even with Tom Hanks playing him. Hanks is the best fit actor wise but it still feels entirely "wrong" to me (chr. vs. real life) lol

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts