The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

Amentep

So the new Jams Bond will be a woman. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lashana-lynch-007-james-bond_n_5d2c59b1e4b02a5a5d5df896

Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will come from this will be most entertaining. Personally, IDGAF. Wasn't going to go see it anyway.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

So the new Jams Bond will be a woman. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lashana-lynch-007-james-bond_n_5d2c59b1e4b02a5a5d5df896

Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will come from this will be most entertaining. Personally, IDGAF. Wasn't going to go see it anyway.

Not just a woman. A BLACK woman. Folks will be boiling.

Never was much a James Bond fan. The only movie I really liked was Goldeneye and even that was just kinda ok. Actually, the only thing I remember is the tank scene.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Wow, that was really terrible. Granted its been 30+ years since I read the book but I didn't remember much. Aside, it made me think about Douglas Adams and it turns out he died in 2001!

Yeah, that movie is pretty bad. Liked the books when I read them in grade school, but almost nothing about that film worked for me besides the "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" song. Wasn't sure if my tastes had changed, if that type of writing just didn't work as well in movie format, or if it was just straight up bad.

7 hours ago, algroth said:

I've got this one framed on the wall:

As for the film, I don't think it's very traditional at all but can see how it's more traditional than Stalker perhaps. Funny enough, it was Tarkovsky's least favorite film amidst his own. I wouldn't agree but the fact that you can feasibly make that claim and defend it goes to show how utterly out of this world his work was. Stunning.

That's pretty dope. Yeah, no, I wasn't trying to say the movie was "traditional" by any normal measure...but I thought more so than specifically Stalker, which was so slow, so meandering, so gratuitous with itself in a lot of different ways that it stopped feeling like a movie at a certain point, which I didn't get with Solaris. So far, I personally wouldn't call myself the biggest fan of his stuff (not that much of a surprise, given both my relative newness to having any interest in film as well as being very particular about what I like, I'm sure), but I do appreciate what I've seen so far for delivering a very different kind of experience when I'm in the mood for it. Stalker will probably warrant a re-watch at some point now that I have a better feeling for what his work is like, which I didn't have any clue of when I initially watched it and it wasn't much like anything I'd ever seen before. With Solaris, I did have an idea, and I was prepared for and in the mood for it, so naturally, I liked it a bit better.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I just watched an excellent movie called The Man with the Iron Heart which is about the assassination of the Nazi leader Reinhard Heydrich in Prague during WW2, its obviously based on a true story and  you cannot but admire the bravery and fortitude of the Czech partisans who fought against the Nazi's 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, majestic said:

So awesome then? :p

Needed more boobs

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 7/13/2019 at 9:01 AM, TrueNeutral said:

Really enjoyed the new Spider-man. No idea how they made a live action Mysterio so good.

I thought it was good as well.

On 7/13/2019 at 3:16 PM, TrueNeutral said:

I thought people said Alita was good. The acting in it was CW level bad (especially the male lead) and the effects looked like PSX graphics...

The effects looked good on the big screen. The Male lead was weak, but hes the weakest character in the manga, so him being the weakest character in the movie worked for me 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Technically, shes the new 007, not Bond. I don't think Ive seen one since Tomorrow Never Dies.

Technically, it's a rumor sourced from the Daily Mail.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

With the rumours saying that the new film starts with Bond retired, living in Jaimaica, and you then get the shift to M's office in London calling in 007, only for the door to open with this new Actor..  I kind of wonder if it's just the setup for that brief moment to cause some pre-release hype and "news" before Bond gets pulled back into the action.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

14 hours ago, Lexx said:

Not just a woman. A BLACK woman. Folks will be boiling.

I don't really care, but I wonder if they're actually making money with all these woke versions of classics? Because they keep putting them out, and I keep seeing people hating on them.

Saw a trailer for The King's Man today. That looks like a movie worth seeing.

Mike: "Script by J. J. Abrams and Chris Terrio, writer of Batman v. Superman, Dawn of Justice, and the Justice League."
Rich: "...Is that a joke?"
Mike: "No."
Rich: "This movie is going to be awful. [...] None of these people have written anything good."

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 hours ago, Raithe said:

With the rumours saying that the new film starts with Bond retired, living in Jaimaica, and you then get the shift to M's office in London calling in 007, only for the door to open with this new Actor..  I kind of wonder if it's just the setup for that brief moment to cause some pre-release hype and "news" before Bond gets pulled back into the action.

That's pretty much what the Daily Mail's rumour says when you read it, that Bond is pulled back in while no longer being 007.

5 hours ago, Heijoushin said:

I don't really care, but I wonder if they're actually making money with all these woke versions of classics? Because they keep putting them out, and I keep seeing people hating on them.

Hollywood has been re-imagining classics since anything was old enough to be considered a classic, so I think the answer is more that there are simply more whiners on the internet nowadays.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Mike: "Script by J. J. Abrams and Chris Terrio, writer of Batman v. Superman, Dawn of Justice, and the Justice League."
Rich: "This movie is going to be awful. [...] None of these people have written anything good."

Terrio won an Academy Award for Argo, so somebody liked something he did.

"Re-imagining classics" is overly charitable phrasing. 😛 

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hellboy. This was Halle Berry's Catwoman level terrible.

Rant time!

So, Mike Mignola had issues with how Guillermo del Toro handled Hellboy, so he backed this version instead. But this movie really just does a terrible CGI version of that with a dumber script and no style. Was it just the PG-13 lack of blood and swearing that pissed Mignola off? Because this had blood and swearing in spades, but it was more cartoonish and less mature than anything in Del Toro's flicks.

Here's the REAL reason Mike Mignola had issues with Del Toro - the movies were better and more interesting than the comic books. Del Toro's vision of Hellboy was better than Mignola's and Mignola is a bitter, jealous and petty ****wad. This is why he killed Hellboy off in the most depressing way in the comics: Because it reminded him of his inferiority.

And now we have this garbage. Thanks and **** you, Mignola.

Rant over.

• Like 2

Like I said, **** movie. Didn't even made it through the first half of it. Did you notice his stupid fake tail? It looked so bad, every time they send him flying through the screen... I just couldn't bear it anymore. Besides, all the action scenes were super boring. It just wasn't any fun to watch, like, at all.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

6 hours ago, Amentep said:

Terrio won an Academy Award for Argo, so somebody liked something he did.

Involved in the Argo script? I'm obligated to label him an utter hack by Act of Parliament.

I'd go so far as saying that JJ has done some decent writing as well, at least if you separate the plotting elements from the script. Plot wise his movies tend to be derivative as anything and his TV shows convoluted for the sake of obfuscating the lack of genuine progress and mystery resolution, but they're not badly scripted. Having said that, a decent script and plot for (what were they thinking?) 'Rise of Skywalker' would be a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I really want to see a satanic Ewok cult worshipping Palpatine. That sounds awesome. Heh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

16 hours ago, Heijoushin said:

There will always be people complaining, it just doesn't help that some of these reboots were really bad.

16 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Dawn of Skywalker. Yes, it's gonna be great. :p

sign.jpg