The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

Amentep

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979). Fun watch, but the damsel in distress was a bit too...damsel-y for my tastes to the point of being a drag and feeling a bit out of place for the rest of the movie. I did like the note the movie ended on with her, though, since it seemed like they were trying to setup a romance between her and the titular character for a long while but then suddenly subverted it (and for good reason, I think - I was starting to get a bit skeeved out for a bit there, so that was nice to see). Still, I think I would've preferred a different character entirely, preferably one with more...erm, character.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Florida Project (2017). Great film about a little girl and her friends living with the "magic" of growing up right outside of Disney World. At one point went from crying straight to laughing out loud, and it was a good thing.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Captain Marvel  Meh. The Skrull commander was the best part of the movie for me.

Black Panther  I wasn't familiar with the canon so I was surprised the powers just came from a plant and anyone could do it. Killmonger was awesome.

Ready Player One  Fairly entertaining.

Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grindelward  Oh god make it stop.

11 minutes ago, misterjimmy said:

What's wrong with these critics ? Godzilla is a monster movie. They really expect to see more human story in Godzilla movie ?

alien, jaws, king kong, creature from the black lagoon, frankenstein, the thing, etc.

but yeah, japanese kaiju films are...

different.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grindelward  Oh god make it stop.

That movie was so boring, think I mentally skipped stuff in the middle ...

... Which is probably why at the end of the movie I didn't even know why it was called "the Crimes of Grindelwald" ... had to google what crimes he did, because I really didn't know.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, I got halfway through Crimes of Grindelwald before I was defeated. That was yesterday, and I already don't remember basically anything of what I saw. Something...bank heist, zoo for magical creatures, muggle who doesn't want to be obliviated and lose his memories of the magical world. About all I got. Some movies are simply marvelous at leaving no imprint on my brain.

Edited by Bartimaeus

3 hours ago, misterjimmy said:

What's wrong with these critics ? Godzilla is a monster movie. They really expect to see more human story in Godzilla movie ?

I was somewhat surprised seeing critics criticizing GKOTM while claiming the human story was good in the 2014 Godzilla film since I thought it was rather pointless and the movie never really made me care about the human characters.

PS: why do the giant monsters in old Gamera films always look vaguely bored?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Shin Gozilla was fantastic. It didn't over-drum-up a bad human drama, but what was their was quite solid and built a cast of key players in combating godzilla. Plus the direction was fantastic. A++.

If the new movie is more like that, and less like the 2014 version than I might see it...

36 minutes ago, Amentep said:

PS: why do the giant monsters in old Gamera films always look vaguely bored?

perhaps even kaiju dislike working with child actors? 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9 hours ago, Lexx said:

There was a bank heist?

My suspicion is that Bartimaeus watched the 1st movie in the series rather than the second, as that's the only one I've seen and his description seems familiar. Then again, about the only thing I can remember about it is that Colin Farrel was channeling his character from Minority Report and that Eddie Redmayne did very well with not much to work with. I'd say I wasn't the target audience but  I liked all the Harry Potter movies well enough, even the first two that were squarely aimed at kids.

• Like 1

lmao, yes, you are correct, already freaking forgot the title of the movie and, once again, that was literally YESTERDAY

(e): also, yeah, the original HP movies weren't the greatest or anything, but they were mostly solid and had their own distinct charm. I was so bored and numb to this new one, can't see myself going back

Edited by Bartimaeus

Trust told, I don't even remember a bank heist in the first movie. Compared to the original Harry Potter movies, the Fantastic Beasts series SUCKS. It's so, so, so bad and I don't really understand how they can **** **** up so hard. Like, really, for all it's flaws, I have no problems with rewatching the Harry Potter movies, but I'll sure as hell never touch the Fantastic Beasts crap ever again.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Ma (2019). It was closer to a comedy than horror. Overall kind of ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Trust told, I don't even remember a bank heist in the first movie. Compared to the original Harry Potter movies, the Fantastic Beasts series SUCKS. It's so, so, so bad and I don't really understand how they can **** **** up so hard. Like, really, for all it's flaws, I have no problems with rewatching the Harry Potter movies, but I'll sure as hell never touch the Fantastic Beasts crap ever again.

Not a bank heist but rescuing someone or something from a prison or vault, I think?

My impressions of Fantastic Beasts were that the acting- and script actually- were pretty good, but the overall plot committed the absolute fundamental sin of being utterly forgettable. Having a decent script but awful plot is a hard combination to manage, but somehow they did it.

Read a few of the comments on the tweet. I agree that it was most likely not intended as an insult or humiliation but it is a perfect example of being completely tone deaf. Not much of a surprise given how The Last Jedi turned out to be (as part of the Star Wars franchise and as a movie, if such things can be seen separately).

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.