The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

Amentep

Avengers Endgame Spoilers

On 5/2/2019 at 3:33 PM, Amentep said:
  Hide contents

A couple of quick thoughts on the video -

• Even if the Russo Bros believe that, it isn't established to my mind in the movie so open to interpretation (the 'author is dead' and all of that) until Marvel explicitly states it in a film.
  • Creating an alternate timeline opens up a lot of questions:
  • Is it before or after the infinity stones are returned (ie are there two sets of stones or one or three)?
  • What happens with Thanos in the alternate universe? If Cap allows events to play out the same, then does the second Cap create a new alternate universe to be with his Peggy (crisis on infinite Peggy Carters) and if he doesn't allow them to unfold the way they did in the prime universe, doesn't that mean that he's just taken his alternate self's means and ability to find the same happiness he had (what a jerk!) and also drastically altered Peggy's husband's life from the original timeline (double jerk!)?
  • Did Dr. Strange using the time stone to create a time loop to defeat Dormamu create an infinity of alternate branches?  Or was it always just one timeline because it was a loop?  If it didn't create an alternate timeline, time travel by itself doesn't create an alternate branch which seems to be why the Ancient One ultimately agreed to Hulk's proposal.
  • Why did Peggy in the main universe not have a picture of her husband with her family photos despite wearing a wedding band (Ant Man) and claiming to be married (video IIRC in Captain America Winter Soldier)?  One possible option is that she was trying to hide the fact that she'd married Steve after all from the people who'd recognize that fact.  The other would be Peggy faked a marriage to simplify her life at the time.  If the first, then Steve coming in creates a closed loop that isn't an alternate timeline implying Steve was always destined, somehow, to return to the past.  In the second he could, theoretically, replace the non-existent husband provided he made sure he didn't do anything to create an alternate timeline (keep quiet about what he knows, avoid Peggy's funeral, etc). 

EDIT: A couple more thoughts

• Why wouldn't the Ancient One know when Cap set about to create the alternate timeline to live with Peggy and do something about the fact that Cap was messing up the timeline?  She would have still had the timestone in the 1940s when he theoretically would have branched the timeline off and more than enough power to stop Cap from creating an alternate branch which she seems to think is a bad thing? 
  • If Cap did create an alternate timeline...is that where the Netflix and Hulu shows happened at? :cat:

I think there is no way to settle this. Nobody really cared about consistency because time travel is complicated and they wanted to make a fun movie, not a complex hard sci-fi. :p

If anyone wants an interesting time travel story with much more consistency, I recommend the 12 monkeys tv show.

Also, at least it is not as bad as the Arrowverse. I like it, but it's funny how speedsters screw the timeline so easily while the legends can kidnap Nixon, George Lucas and do all kinds of crazy stuff with no consequence most of the time. :facepalm:

Edit: btw, they could've asked the Ancient one to take all the stones for them. She wouldn't get noticed. Well, this would be more like one of those "How it should have ended videos" lol

Edited by InsaneCommander
Endgame spoilers above

sign.jpg

Endgame spoiler

Can't you drag and drop spoilers (and quotes) now? Might as well test it I guess...

Snape killes Dumbledore lol

You can ctrl X, then add text then ctrl V to repaste the spoiler or quote box. Kludgey as though.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

17 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Endgame spoiler

Hide contents

Can't you drag and drop spoilers (and quotes) now? Might as well test it I guess...

Snape killes Dumbledore lol

You can ctrl X, then add text then ctrl V to repaste the spoiler or quote box. Kludgey as though.

I can't select the beginning of the post, before the quote. :shrugz:

sign.jpg

Saw end game, came out satisfied. Although I can't understand why they did that to Thor... I get it that the movies were not that good and the direction they were taking him with Ragnarok was clear, but did they really need to make a complete joke out of him.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

I can't select the beginning of the post, before the quote. :shrugz:

No you can't, it seems that at present having a box element at the top means you cannot add text above it. If you cut (standard ctrl x command) so that the top element isn't a box though you can add text as normal. You then paste the cut stuff back in after the added text.

It's definitely a workaround and more trouble than it should be though.

• Thanks 1

Big spoiler, don't read

I can't believe that Bruce Willis's character was dead the whole time lol

Frame handling is a bit annoying as it is now. You also cannot add text above a quote in standard reply if the quote box is at the top.

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

I tried it now, but no matter what I do there is always still a box left after I cut everything in the post.

Edit: but it worked because the warning appears before you open the spoilers.

You have to select the box element itself, not its contents, then cut it. Easiest way is to select the drag and drop tab at top left, if you move the mouse cursor away the frame turns blue showing it is selected and you can then cut it, add text and repaste. May not work on mobile (and I suspect selecting the frame would be near impossible even if it could theoretically work)

Edited by Zoraptor

https://io9.gizmodo.com/3-new-star-wars-film-will-star-arriving-in-2022-1834584244

Disney just revealed a bunch of new release dates, with the highlight being that three new, yet-to-be-titled

Star Wars movies will be released every other December starting in 2022.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Avatar 2 pushed back a year. (2021)

Avatar 3 pushed back 2 years. (2023)

Avatar 4 pushed back a year. (2025)

Avatar 5 pushed back 2 years. (2027)

Star Wars 4th Trilogy fills the years in-between. (2022, 2024, 2026)

All releasing in the Pre-Christmas Window.

New Disney is getting serious.

• Hmmm 1

15 hours ago, algroth said:

Oh hey guys, Ryan Reynolds just leaked the Pokémon Detective Pikachu movie online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAA_yWX8ycQ

*Reports algroth for promoting piracy*

Seriously its a funny gag.

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

18 hours ago, injurai said:

Avatar 2 pushed back a year. (2021)

Avatar 3 pushed back 2 years. (2023)

Avatar 4 pushed back a year. (2025)

Avatar 5 pushed back 2 years. (2027)

James Cameron does have a history for massively delayed films but the Avatar sequels are getting ridiculous.

Presumably the SW films are the Rian Johnson ones. Though Benioff and Weiss from Game of Thrones have a SW project on the go as well.

These delays are just to interleave Disney's and 21st Century's schedules now that they are one. As far as I know all bets are off as to who is directing the 4th trilogy. I didn't get the impression he was insider darling or anything, and his film has done more damage to SW than anything as of late. Well maybe Solo, but those two films were peas in a pod.

I like having a big escapist sci-fi movie to watch with the family for the Holidays. We'll also be having Dune and Dune 2 to look forward to as well.

So much big sci-fi. I'm both excited and terrified. There better not be a ton of stinkers in that lot.

12 minutes ago, TrueNeutral said:

Every time I hear about the next Avatar movie, it's two years away. It's been this way since like 2016.

It will come out eventually, and it will suck, so say the Duke Nukem Mystical Scrolls of truth.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The series is going to resurrect Sam Worthington, the "A-list star" that never was. Weird times ahead. I haven't heard of a single good movie that he's been in since.

I wonder if he'll have grown a pair of charisma by then to match the likes of the Marvel and Star Wars cast.

5 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

Every time I hear about the next Avatar movie, it's two years away. It's been this way since like 2016.

Has filming even started yet? We get a decent amount of Avatar news due to Cameron living here now and I feel like he's announced the scripts are finished and filming is about to start half a dozen times.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, injurai said:

These delays are just to interleave Disney's and 21st Century's schedules now that they are one. As far as I know all bets are off as to who is directing the 4th trilogy. I didn't get the impression he was insider darling or anything, and his film has done more damage to SW than anything as of late. Well maybe Solo, but those two films were peas in a pod.

Wouldn't put Solo and TLJ into the same category personally. Solo was ill advised- Han Solo without Ford, about a dead character, not really any demand for it- and had developmental issues but was an adequate movie that was generally regarded by the fans who bothered to watch it as more or less decent, just pointless. TLJ was even more deeply divisive than Phantom Menace was back in the day, and a big (only argument is how big) proportion of the fanbase actively loathed it instead of just being indifferent.

I agree, Solo was sort of the wake up call though. They learned their actions have consequences. The producers all pretended that the backlash was just "par for the course toxic super-fans" and that the general populace was okay with whatever auteur-ship ego-trip was being delivered. If the mainline movies aren't delivering, then the intermittent cash ins are going to lose their effectiveness. It can't all be marketing narrative that drives the movies. Which is why I link the failure of those two movies together.

I kind of agree in that I suspect they take the backlash a lot more seriously than they claim(ed) to, but the only semi public effect Solo flopping had was the cancellation of other 'Starwars Tales' inter big release year stand alones which weren't formally announced anyway. Johnson still supposedly has his own trilogy in development so it seems that LucasFilm management more or less maintain their opinion that TLJ was great, the backlash wasn't bad and only came from neckbeards and misogynist bullies, and that Solo was just an aberration with no longer term implications. The big shift will be if Episode IX (heh, I can't even remember its name without duckduckgoing it) does poorly as well, then I'd expect some sort of acknowledgement and actual change.

They've done motion capture for Avatar 2 & 3 with principal live action sometime in 2019.

Meanwhile...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man