New Two-Factor Authentication Feature

SChin

Hello again everyone!

We wanted to let you all know that we added a new Two-Factor Authentication feature for the Obsidian websites and forums.  This is a recommended feature for those of you that want to have a more secure browsing experience when visiting any of the Obsidian sites.  All you will need to do is enable this feature in your account settings and connect an authentication app.  You can find instructions below to help explain what this process will look like.

n6pxVdT.jpg

Go to https://forums.obsidian.net/settings/ and click Password located under Overview.

T737haq.jpg

Click Enable to set up the Two-Factor Authentication.

HO5uoh9.jpg

Download an authentication app and connect your Obsidian account by scanning the provided QR code.

Once you've done that, you should be all set and even more secure!  If you run into any issues trying to set up your Two-Factor Authentication, please feel free to email us at support@obsidian.net.

We hope you enjoy your browsing experience with this added security!

• Like 2

Two-factor auth works great!  Now that a session seems to hold for more than a few hours, enabling 2FA should have minimal impact on the ease of logging-in to your Obsidian ID.

Instead of having to re-login to the Obsidian Forums every few hours, you will have to login and generate a new authentication code as well. It’s seems like a bit of a hassle when you are forced to log into the forums a few times a day. 

Hopefully we’ll get a working “stay logged in” option as the bugs get ironed out of the forum upgrade. 

Edited by Ethics Gradient
Session timeout appears to be fixed. 👌
  • Thanks 4

Thanks, Ethics. I can confirm we're working on increasing the session timeout shortly and thank you all for your feedback over on this thread regarding the forums upgrade:

We've already made some changes that were easier/less risky and working on others that we can make within the constraints of the software. Thanks again, all!

• Thanks 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 6:47 AM, The Guildmaster said:

Hi all, we put some changes up that should increase the length now by days instead of hours.  Let us know if you're still seeing the sign-in form too often! Thanks, everyone!

Still seeing it more often than I'd like. It should be once a month, not once a week. These aren't high security bank accounts.

• Like 1

Yeah.  Login credentials expire soon enough that you still need to login twice a week... on every device you visit the forums with. 

2FA sadly doesn't buy you any extra time between forced logins, it just adds an extra layer of hassle when you check the forums on your mobile device and PC.  Still waiting on the return of the good ol' days when the Obsidian forums only asked users to re-login once every few months.

• Thanks 1

• Fionavar unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

I don't have any codes left, the app is on a phone i don't have anymore. I can't interact with the authentication without codes, no way to just get another QR code unless I am missing something.

I can request a password reset, that works sometimes to bypass authentication, and sometimes not. Not sure what the variables are there. 

That means that I am stuck using the just the one PC until I will eventually miss the login window. Thoughts ?

• Thanks 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Blatant Canadian racism... to them us Danes all look the same, right @Gorgon? 😂

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello @The Guildmaster!

How do I deactivate 2-factor auth when I cannot access my athenticator app?
Or how do I add another device/authenticator? I can use recovery codes to log in, but I cannot use them for disabling 2-factor auth - or to add new devices. For that I need a code from the authenticator... which is not accessible for me atm.  

My phone broke down and I set up a new one. I'm in a situation now where I only can use recovery codes to log in - since Obsidian doesn't let me remove or add 2-factor-auth options. 

Any ideas? 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 2/12/2023 at 8:18 PM, Boeroer said:

Hello @The Guildmaster!

How do I deactivate 2-factor auth when I cannot access my athenticator app?
Or how do I add another device/authenticator? I can use recovery codes to log in, but I cannot use them for disabling 2-factor auth it or to add new devices. For that I need a code from the authenticator... which is not accessible for me atm.  

My phone broke down and I set up a new one. I'm in a situation now where I only can use recovery codes to log in - since Obsidian doesn't let me remove or add 2-factor-auth options. 

Any ideas? 

@The Guildmaster hello? No ideas? @SChinmaybe? Or@Shyla?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hey @Boeroer,

Sorry to hear about the phone breaking down :(  I went ahead and deactivated the 2FA on your account, so you should be good to set it back up again from a new device when you're ready.

If you run into any other trouble with it, just ping me and I'll see what I can do.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1