All you do is say you can sneak up on someone and stab them in the back as long as they don't wear any type of armor that fully negates the weapon, but then also try to call it actual combat. But I will gladly meet you 1v1 where you wield a dagger and I wield a pole or a sword. I will even fight you naked if you want. I would love to see your pnp experience translate into the real world. Maybe you missed the part where I'm referring to the real world? I try to mention it here and there, but I feel that you're missing it. But you're free to complain "but this works in my fantasy game" after you lose a limb. Maybe you can convince me to turn around so you can stab me in the back. Be sure to roll at least a 2 otherwise it is a fumble.

I'm using farmer as an example of a non combattant, but you can put any non combattant there. Because any real combattant would use an actual weapon and not a dagger. Unless of course he is screwed and he doesn't have anything else available. The only reason people would carry a dagger is as a backup weapon, not as a primary weapon because it is disadvantageous vs actual combat weapons. I simply cannot fathom why you are trying to convince me of the opposite. Did you read the part where I said I actually have training with these weapons? No? I actually have skills in using daggers in combat. And unless the opponent is unarmed then I would rather not use them unless I have nothing else available. Anything with more reach is preferable.

All you've done so far is cheer for Boeroer's picture of a dagger as a backup weapon and cheer for his second post about an imaginatory fantasy battle in a tavern. Maybe you should add pnp experience there as well. That may convince me that any of that works in the real world. Oh wait, it doesn't.

• Hmmm 1

Just because this has gotten terribly boring and I found this on the internet:

In close-quarters fighting there is no more deadly weapon than the knife. In choosing a knife there are two important factors to bear in mind: balance and keenness. The hilt should fit easily in your hand, and the blade should not be so heavy that it tends to drag the hilt from your fingers in a loose grip. It is essential that the blade have a sharp stabbing point and good cutting edges, because an artery torn through (as against a clean cut) tends to contract and stop the bleeding. If a main artery is cleanly severed, the wounded man will quickly lose consciousness and die.

This was written by William Ewart Fairbairn, in his book 'Get Tough'.  Who is he?

British Commando and other elite units were issued an especially slender dagger, the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife, developed by William E. Fairbairn and Eric A. Sykes from real-life close-combat experiences gained while serving on the Shanghai Municipal Police Force.

Interesting, tell me more about this 'dagger', oh internet.

The Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife is a double-edged fighting knife resembling a dagger or poignard with a foil grip developed by William Ewart Fairbairn and Eric Anthony Sykes in Shanghai based on concepts which the two men initiated before World War II while serving on the Shanghai Municipal Police in China.

Fascinating, now let us return to the words of AeonsLegend:

"No one in their right mind would actually use a dagger in actual combat, that only happens in fantasy games where "rogues" are a thing. That stuff never existed in the real world."

So on the one hand we have a self-proclaimed internet commenter who claims to have combat experience and states that daggers were never used in actual combat.  And on the other hand we have a decorated British Royal Marine who developed his own hand-to-hand combat methods, created his own fighting system and helped develop an actual dagger that was issued to British Commandos, who states that close-quarter combat there is no deadlier weapon than a knife!

I wonder who is right here...

All you've done so far is cheer for Boeroer's picture of a dagger as a backup weapon and cheer for his second post about an imaginatory fantasy battle in a tavern. Maybe you should add pnp experience there as well. That may convince me that any of that works in the real world. Oh wait, it doesn't.

Yes, you're absolutely right, of course.  I apologise.

Edited by Yosharian

Thanks for posting stuff about dagger as a back-up weapon for close combat in modern army. I'll reach for my gun while you charge me with your dagger. We're not talking about modern day soldiers that wear no protection vs bladed weapons. Of course the weapon is effective in that scenario. We're talking about fantasy reference to medieval times where people wore actual protection to the weapons that were primarily used. Bladed weapons. Swords do not exist in modern combat. Why? They are bulky as a backup weapon. Why backup? Oh wait people use guns nowadays.

Please stop man, you're just embarassing yourself.

• Thanks 1