Guest Arjuna

Hey y'all,

the past few days I've been searching the forums but am yet to find what I am looking for, so I'd be thankful if someone with the proper knowledge could help me out.

My predicament is the following:

1) I want to play pukestabber. Period.

2) I want the build to be lightning fast at killing stuff, high risk high reward.

3) I didn't play since release basically so I have no clue if Teesinz Mirke build on youtube is still up to the task. Also,  I don't like the monk-class very much. I find them to be gimmicky and immersion breaking (like in the old BG days), especially for an always drunk pirate type of character.

4) Don't care if single or multi class build 

Thanks a dozen in advance for any kind of help

Edited by Arjuna

So you want to devout yourself to Pukestabber?)

How about Nalpazka/Devout then?
- weapons (set 1): mainhand: Lover's Embrace | offhand: Pukestabber
- weapons (set 2): fists
- armor: DoC or Contender Armor
- head: Fair Favor (+10% hit-to-crit and +10% crit damage)
- amulet: Soulvoid (if need drug), Charm of Bones, Bone Setter's Tork
- gloves: Gauntlets of Dungeon Warden
- rings: Drunkard's Regret, Ring of Prosperity's Fortune
- pet: Abraham on you; Nalvi on Eder

Base stats, something along: 15/8/18/19/15/3
The point is simple: to hit as fast as you can and to crit as often as you can. All that in order to trigger Debauchery and Swift Flurry/Heartbeat cascade and get refunds from Stunning Surge.

Edit. Pardon, didn't notice that you don't want monk in the OP. Hmm. You could take Berserker/Devout as alternative then.

Edited by MaxQuest

have you seen https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102824-class-build-mechanics-101-lets-learn-with-umezawa-streetfighterwael/ ?

(updated version here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/227477-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/faqs/76599/case-study-1-umezawa)

the build is notably not a monk-class, though it is fairly micro-intensive, and it is definitely high-risk high-reward. it's not specifically designed for pukestabber, but both times I ran with it I made pukestabber my main weapon (along with drinking Rum or Forgetful Night and using Drunkard's Regret), paired with marux amanth.

If you're playing on a higher difficulty, I recommend somehow integrating or joining forces with a monk (which you said you didn't want to do), berserker barbarian, priest, or chanter. Daggers don't get a weapon modal that boosts your PEN, and monks/berserker/priests have ez ways to get a tier 2 might inspiration (+2 PEN), and chanters can get a tier 3 might inspiration, albeit late. Chanters can also use Shield Cracks invocation which is an amazing invocation to virtually perpetually do -2 AR; combined with tier 2 or 3 might inspiration for +2 PEN, you will close to never have penetration issues with a dagger even on upscaled PotD.

Edited by thelee

So you want to devout yourself to Pukestabber?)

How about Nalpazka/Devout then?

- weapons (set 1): mainhand: Lover's Embrace/Marux Amanth | offhand: Pukestabber

- weapons (set 2): fists

- armor: DoC or Contender Armor

- head: Fair Favor (+10% hit-to-crit and +10% crit damage)

- amulet: Soulvoid (if need drug), Charm of Bones, Bone Setter's Tork

- gloves: Gauntlets of Dungeon Warden

- rings: Drunkard's Regret, Ring of Prosperity's Fortune

- pet: Abraham on you; Nalvi on Eder

Base stats, something along: 15/8/18/19/15/3

The point is simple: to hit as fast as you can and to crit as often as you can. All that in order to trigger Debauchery and Swift Flurry/Heartbeat cascade and get refunds from Stunning Surge.

You cannot use Marux Amanth as a Brawler, Marux requires the wielder to be a Rogue/Priest/Paladin.

You cannot use Marux Amanth as a Brawler, Marux requires the wielder to be a Rogue/Priest/Paladin.

Oops. Initially was writing that for a Streetfighter/Nalpazka, whom switched for Devout/Nalpazka; and forgot to take Marux out)

Guest Arjuna

Yes I came across your updated version just yesterday and as an edh player boy do I like the flavor!  :thumbsup:

However I'd like to avoid classes that don't have a piratey vibe to it like paladin, monk, priest etc.

Barb sounds far more appealing. I have read somewhere that there might be accuracy problems which again would hinder my "crit-ability"... does this stand true at all?

Then again I'd love to make use of gambit, which ofc would mean SC rogue but then MC would be to sqishy, wouldn't she?

Thanks for your expertise and time in helping me out :)

Edited by Arjuna

Guest Arjuna

Oops. Initially was writing that for a Streetfighter/Nalpazka, whom switched for Devout/Nalpazka; and forgot to take Marux out)

Thanks for your expertise Max, but I'd definitely want to be a rogue, be it sc or mc.

Guest Arjuna

Streefigter/Devoted(Mob Stance) maybe if You don't want monk? Or Streetfighter/Barbarian. But to be honest monk would be the best fit to pair it with rouge IMHO.

I've read that Swashbuckler is better with sabres but I have no exp. whatsoever so I just have to trust more knowledgeable people ;)

What is your opinion on single class streetfighter?

Thanks for your expertise Max, but I'd definitely want to be a rogue, be it sc or mc.

Understood)

Barb sounds far more appealing. I have read somewhere that there might be accuracy problems which again would hinder my "crit-ability"... does this stand true at all?

It depends on difficulty and the build.

On PotD enemies have +15 to all defenses.

Also, if you go for streetfighter who triggers his recovery bonus via blunderbuss modal, Distracted is an additional -5 perception; not to mention extra-squishiness (-10 deflection and -1 AR from flanked).

Then again I'd love to make use of gambit, which ofc would mean SC rogue but then MC would be to sqishy, wouldn't she?

The main problem here is quickly running out of resources if you don't crit, or crit with only one hand.

This could be partially alleviated by going for Debonaire; and attacking enemies charmed by your party Beguiler.

Or going for Assassin; mixing Gambit with Vanishing Strike perhaps? and staying close to a party wayfarer/skald who would:

- use LoH on you if needed

- passivelly heal via White Flames

- benefit you by wielding Magistrate's Cudgel (+10 acc mark on target) + Keeper of the Flame (+4 acc aura)

- perhaps provide +5 acc via Zealous Focus; and -1 AR aura from Blackened Plate

- and paralyze the enemies with Killers Froze Stiff (which gives +25% hit-to-crit)

If going for this tandem - both could be hearth orlans since they will be attacking same target.

Edited by MaxQuest

Guest Arjuna

Also, if you go for streetfighter who triggers his recovery bonus via blunderbuss modal, Distracted is an additional -5 perception; not to mention extra-squishiness (-10 deflection and -1 AR from flanked).

The main problem here is quickly running out of resources if you don't crit, or crit with only one hand.

This could be partially alleviated by going for Debonaire; and attacking enemies charmed by your party Beguiler.

Or going for Assassin; mixing Gambit with Vanishing Strike perhaps? and staying close to a party wayfarer/skald who would [...]

Ok, difficulty would def be PotD.

What I take from your answer is the following (plz correct if I misunderstood):

- SC rogue is too squishy and burns out too quickly, needs heavy support from party to surviv being on the front line

- Barb/Rogue is too inaccurate for crit build on PotD

Is there a way at all to create a pukestabber build without monk who can reliably survive,take a few hits on the front line and still be able to optimize dps?

If the answer is no I fear I have to reconsider using monk nonetheless :/

Streefigter/Devoted(Mob Stance) maybe if You don't want monk? Or Streetfighter/Barbarian. But to be honest monk would be the best fit to pair it with rouge IMHO.

I've read that Swashbuckler is better with sabres but I have no exp. whatsoever so I just have to trust more knowledgeable people ;)

What is your opinion on single class streetfighter?

I've played SC Rouge solo way before DLCs but IMHO in terms of pure DPS there are better options but if you want to roleplay certain char it's ok. Gambit it's not worth to play around, i've try it with rapiers modal and and 14 guile (10 after gambit so 100% hit to crit) and still DPS was meh (in terms of max  you could pull off, don't get me wrong SC rouge is top 3 in terms of melee damage) . Vanishing Strike is more a  Assasin domain but Streetfighter can use it effectively. If you exclude monk you really rob yourself of some good synergies.

Some extreme examples of shadowdancer in screenshots (all dmg in logs are from one attack if I remember correctly).post-217589-0-05977200-1555953925_thumb.jpgpost-217589-0-72465800-1555953952_thumb.jpgpost-217589-0-05203500-1555953986_thumb.jpg

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Or going for Assassin; mixing Gambit with Vanishing Strike perhaps? and staying close to a party wayfarer/skald who would [...]

- SC rogue is too squishy and burns out too quickly, needs heavy support from party to surviv being on the front line

Is there a way at all to create a pukestabber build without monk who can reliably survive,take a few hits on the front line and still be able to optimize dps?

re: barb/rogue - 

if you're not worried about soloing, barb does pretty well crit-wise late game with brute force passive (Target fort instead of deflection if fort is lower). Combine with a party member with a morning star and/or some might or con afflictions (or both), and you can get enemy fort pretty dang low. -25 just from morningstar is a really huge swing even on PotD (it also means enemy mage-types can't use mirror image or wizard's double or arcane veil to dodge your attacks).

another thing to consider is that frenzy-ing will alrady give you a deflection penalty, which doesn't stack with the flanked penalty you get from blunderbuss modal, so it's not actually that much squishier than just being a barbarian.

Dirty Fighting from rogue will help anyway, giving you an unconditional 10% hit to crit. 

i also had a build for a blackjacket + rogue, using blackjacket's skills to rapidly swap between blunderbusses and then switching back to my main attack weapon. constant recovery (even if weaker on a blackjacket) helps a lot with survivability.

Edited by thelee

Go Marauder. If you want to be fast, you want Barb's Frenzy, Bloodlust, and Bloodthirst (+ sometimes Wild Sprint). Rogue fits the drunk pirate image and sneak attack plus full attacks help you kill stuff fast.

I'd drink Wael's Wind and make my subs Berserker and Streetfighter. Wael's Wind removes Confused and Berserker helps you get Bloodied for Streetfighter. The Frenzy DEF penalty will also encourage enemies to attack you so you'll naturally be flanked a lot. That can obviously be pretty risky and if that level of risk is too high, I'd instead go Assassin and noSub Barb. You can drink Rymsjodda and rock Miscreant's Leather plus Nalvi/Abraham to have a super fast recovery. DoC Breastplate can be pretty fast with Rymsjodda and a recovery pet too if you still want to go with Berserker.

Put a Battle Axe in your main hand, since your full attack actives will skip the recovery time and you can make use of the modal. You'll want the SSS soulbound Axe but that's very late game and you'll probably be stuck using generics until then since there's not many options.

If you don't like Battle Axes or using generics until the end game, Rapiers also have a good modal that benefits from the skipped recovery time. Rannig's Wrath leans into the action speed theme and can be used with the Blackblade's Hood or Fair Favor you likely have on your head. Rannig's and Rust's Poignard also make for a good second weapon set if you come up against slash immune foes.

The other options for your non-Pukestabber hand are Marux Amanth or Lover's Embrace, since they'll benefit from Pukestabber. IMO you have so many full attacks as a multi that it's better to take something that benefits from skipping recovery.

Ultimately, the main part of a Pukestabber build is the Drunkard's Regret ring and drinking. As long as you have that, you can pretty much just use any dual wield build.

• Like 1

Guest Arjuna

Go Marauder. If you want to be fast, you want Barb's Frenzy, Bloodlust, and Bloodthirst (+ sometimes Wild Sprint). Rogue fits the drunk pirate image and sneak attack plus full attacks help you kill stuff fast.

I'd drink Wael's Wind and make my subs Berserker and Streetfighter. Wael's Wind removes Confused and Berserker helps you get Bloodied for Streetfighter. The Frenzy DEF penalty will also encourage enemies to attack you so you'll naturally be flanked a lot. That can obviously be pretty risky and if that level of risk is too high, I'd instead go Assassin and noSub Barb. You can drink Rymsjodda and rock Miscreant's Leather plus Nalvi/Abraham to have a super fast recovery. DoC Breastplate can be pretty fast with Rymsjodda and a recovery pet too if you still want to go with Berserker.

Put a Battle Axe in your main hand, since your full attack actives will skip the recovery time and you can make use of the modal. You'll want the SSS soulbound Axe but that's very late game and you'll probably be stuck using generics until then since there's not many options.

If you don't like Battle Axes or using generics until the end game, Rapiers also have a good modal that benefits from the skipped recovery time. Rannig's Wrath leans into the action speed theme and can be used with the Blackblade's Hood or Fair Favor you likely have on your head. Rannig's and Rust's Poignard also make for a good second weapon set if you come up against slash immune foes.

The other options for your non-Pukestabber hand are Marux Amanth or Lover's Embrace, since they'll benefit from Pukestabber. IMO you have so many full attacks as a multi that it's better to take something that benefits from skipping recovery.

Ultimately, the main part of a Pukestabber build is the Drunkard's Regret ring and drinking. As long as you have that, you can pretty much just use any dual wield build.

Thanks a lot, I'd prefer the rapier route going with Rännig's I reckon. 

How common are those Wael's Wind beverages? Are they craftable? The confused status looks really terrible espc. with the fr

I would probably use DoC breastplate over Miscreants because of the regen, not sure.

re: barb/rogue - 

if you're not worried about soloing, barb does pretty well crit-wise late game with brute force passive (Target fort instead of deflection if fort is lower). Combine with a party member with a morning star and/or some might or con afflictions (or both), and you can get enemy fort pretty dang low. -25 just from morningstar is a really huge swing even on PotD (it also means enemy mage-types can't use mirror image or wizard's double or arcane veil to dodge your attacks).

another thing to consider is that frenzy-ing will alrady give you a deflection penalty, which doesn't stack with the flanked penalty you get from blunderbuss modal, so it's not actually that much squishier than just being a barbarian.

Dirty Fighting from rogue will help anyway, giving you an unconditional 10% hit to crit. 

i also had a build for a blackjacket + rogue, using blackjacket's skills to rapidly swap between blunderbusses and then switching back to my main attack weapon. constant recovery (even if weaker on a blackjacket) helps a lot with survivability.

atm I don't plan to solo yet, but I cheesed my way through the BG-Trilogy back in the days and loved it to death.

Thus, it would be nice if I could already gain some insights while playing a same or similar build in a party based run to the build I'll be using in a future solo run.

So bottom line is:

Marauder would dish out good damage but would be way squishier than Shadowdancer, let alone Swashbuckler?

Marauder is hardly soloable i guess, espc. in DLC content? Somewhere I've read Shadowdancer runs into some issues soloing dlc and thus Swashbuckler is more viable?

Regarding the Black Jacket, I think weapon switching is not how I like to play the game but ofc I never tried, so... 

Some extreme examples of shadowdancer in screenshots (all dmg in logs are from one attack if I remember correctly).attachicon.gifbotUp1052jpg.jpgattachicon.gifmassiveHit1159jpg.jpgattachicon.gifHIHGhITjpg.jpg

Holy numbers, that does really make me think twice about the shadowdancer! I am really on the edge after seeing this :D

Would a build like this be also viable for potd solo?

EDIT: Ok, I've given it some thought and am now deciding between shadowdancer (nalpazca/streetfighter) and marauder (berserker/streetfighter) although I'd favor the latter for flavor. If someone could convince me of it's soloability I'm all sold and ready to go. :D

Edited by Arjuna

@ Arjuna it depends how You define solo, soloing 100% content? Hell no, I can't think about any char that can do it exept maybe herald (I may be wrong) but all of that extreme hard content is optional (SSS fights, megabosses). 

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

With monk you have renewable resources, spammable summons that can help a lot and quasi spammable full attack (stunning surge). From the other side with rouge you can almost  always reset the encouter so you can argue that other class doesn't matter that much. But shadowdancer it's a beast in terms of single target DPS.

edit. and Tuotilo's Palm, dmg with it is not so bad with deathblows/sneak attack, you can gain a lot of survivalibity with it and it benefits from TWS and WaSS

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Wael's Wind IIRC correctly are stocked in Port Maje and Dunnage. If you'd rather use DoC Breastplate you don't need them because it can upgrade to give you INT resistance and you ignore confused. Rymsjodda is sold consistently at Harbinger's Watch and makes the DoC Breastplate faster than a robe if you've got Nalvi or Abraham.

Berserker can't solo (or at least not in any way that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out). I'm doing a trio run right now with a Bleak Walker/Berserker, Vatnir, and Ydwin and my Watcher has gone down eight times. IMO it's way too hard to figure out when to pull the trigger on healing. I'm not an expert on solo-ing but I'd imagine that a noSub Barb would stand a chance - 'Zerker is just too much risk.

Wael's Wind IIRC correctly are stocked in Port Maje and Dunnage. If you'd rather use DoC Breastplate you don't need them because it can upgrade to give you INT resistance and you ignore confused. Rymsjodda is sold consistently at Harbinger's Watch and makes the DoC Breastplate faster than a robe if you've got Nalvi or Abraham.

Berserker can't solo (or at least not in any way that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out). I'm doing a trio run right now with a Bleak Walker/Berserker, Vatnir, and Ydwin and my Watcher has gone down eight times. IMO it's way too hard to figure out when to pull the trigger on healing. I'm not an expert on solo-ing but I'd imagine that a noSub Barb would stand a chance - 'Zerker is just too much risk.

The problem with Zerker is the self raw DoT is too high in late game, I remember a lvl 20 berserker got 20+ raw DoT for its frenzy, which can be amplified by might, human fighting spirit, power level and etc. So the final number can be like 30+ per tick... It’s close to the self harm of Sacred Immolation and last much longer...

Therefore I’d rather use a vanilla barb instead of zerker, also u can get tenacious with the dlc axe that’s even male berserker less attractive to me. Maybe you can have low Might for berserker to work, but imo it's a bit counter the concept...

Edited by dunehunter

- majority of frontline rogue damage-dealers needs either support or heavy micro :)

- I meant that a distracted SC streetfighter might have accuracy problems (in the sense that he will crit; but that might be not often enough). A berserker/rogue will crit more often, for sure.

You could equip heavier armor, and pick a more defensive subclass, like trickster for example.

E.g: a pale elf berserker/trickster in Reckless Brigandine, wielding Slayer's Claw (battle axe) and Pukestabber.

Mirrored Image + bonus AR vs Burn/Frost + bonus AR (from Into the Breach and Hardy) + AoE Daze from Leap + mini-heals onKill (from Abraham and Slayer's Claw) + Terrify (from Spirit Tornado and Repulsive Vissage) will help staying alive. And you could additionally get Shod-in-Faith boots via Spoils of Caed Nua mod ^^

Also Slayer's Claw will upgrade Tenacious from Berserker's Carnage to Energized; and since it's a crit-heavy build (Barbaric Blow has 30% hit-to-crit bonus; and Berserker has extra 30% hit-to-crit while frenzied), it will be nice to interrupt the enemies.

Edited by MaxQuest

Guest Arjuna

- majority of frontline rogue damage-dealers needs either support or heavy micro :)

- I meant that a distracted SC streetfighter might have accuracy problems (in the sense that he will crit; but that might be not often enough). A berserker/rogue will crit more often, for sure.

___

You could equip heavier armor, and pick a more defensive subclass, like trickster for example.

E.g: a pale elf berserker/trickster in Reckless Brigandine, wielding Slayer's Claw (battle axe) and Pukestabber.

[...]

Also Slayer's Claw will upgrade Tenacious from Berserker's Carnage to Energized; and since it's a crit-heavy build (Barbaric Blow has 30% hit-to-crit bonus; and Berserker has extra 30% hit-to-crit while frenzied), it will be nice to interrupt the enemies.

Ok, thanks a dozen for your insight Max.

I am settled on Marauder now, with party at first anyway. I don't mind micro heavier playstyle at all, on the contrary I like it.

Right now I am pondering getting the Mod you mentioned. I also found one that alters the berserker in a way so that health is not concealed... but then again I want to keep it as vanilla as possible.

The problem with Zerker is the self raw DoT is too high in late game, I remember a lvl 20 berserker got 20+ raw DoT for its frenzy, which can be amplified by might, human fighting spirit, power level and etc. So the final number can be like 30+ per tick... It’s close to the self harm of Sacred Immolation and last much longer...

Therefore I’d rather use a vanilla barb instead of zerker, also u can get tenacious with the dlc axe that’s even male berserker less attractive to me. Maybe you can have low Might for berserker to work, but imo it's a bit counter the concept...

Ok thanks for sharing your knowledge, but man that's a bummer...

Is the raw damage really that bad? Even if I'd use Voidward?

Even if, for example I keep might at 10 and put the the points in con/per/res?

I plan on doing all the DLC stuff and pretty much 100%ing the game.

My Dwarf 'Zerker has 30 MIG post -Frenzy and while they're multied w/Paladin to offset it via Exalted Endurance, the self damage isn't that bad. You have a metric ton of HP so if you're doing any amount of mitigation, you'll be fine. Even natively with Barb, you can just use Savage Defiance. It's hard to tell exactly what is going on HP-wise but if I activate Savage Defiance right after Frenzy, it doesn't heal for the full amount. So each tick of Robust is worth more than a tick of Frenzy.

The harder thing to deal with is that your DEF is gonna be low, so you'll get crit fairly often and enemies will focus you down. 

Guest Arjuna
2 hours ago, Taudis said:

My Dwarf 'Zerker has 30 MIG post -Frenzy and while they're multied w/Paladin to offset it via Exalted Endurance, the self damage isn't that bad. You have a metric ton of HP so if you're doing any amount of mitigation, you'll be fine. Even natively with Barb, you can just use Savage Defiance. It's hard to tell exactly what is going on HP-wise but if I activate Savage Defiance right after Frenzy, it doesn't heal for the full amount. So each tick of Robust is worth more than a tick of Frenzy.

The harder thing to deal with is that your DEF is gonna be low, so you'll get crit fairly often and enemies will focus you down. 

Hm thats interesting. 

I created a human zerker/streetfighter yesterday during the Forum downtime for testing purposes with mig 8 but maxed con and res. My impression was that it is nigh impossible to guess the current hp during frenzy and sometimes when frenzy was over i was sitting at like 7hp or so, which would indicate I only survived because I was lucky not having received a crit on last enemy hit...

I like the high risk play and having the health conceiled is fun for the moment but I am not sure if the upsides of frenzy make up for its downsides....

edit: also, exactly what you said, enemies tried on focusing down on ne because of low def.... maybe I just need to practise on when to activate frenzy.

Edited by Arjuna