Heyo, I wanted to know if someone could tell me what multiclasses would be best with trickster synergy wise as I really want to play one and preferably melee with dual wield.

I just have a hard time comming up with anything really.

I appreciate every help!

Edited by Rimiu

Tricksters add a little bit of everything to a melee build.  You get the damage boost of a weak sneak attack, access to Rogue Full Attack abilities (mostly v. Deflection or Reflex), mobility from Escape, spammable Mirrored Image for defense, debuffs that attack Will (Dazz Lights, Confusion, Wondrous Torment), and disables that attack Fort (Repulsive Visage, Gaze of the Ad). 

A multiclass to get some ACC boosts would help-- it doesn't have any intrinsically.  But if you can rely on a party Priest for that, just double-down on what you most want out of the character-- Monk, Barbarian, or Soulblade for a damager (maybe Stalker Ranger, too?); Fighter or Paladin for a tankier option. 

Monk might be my favorite of these, as Mirrored Image pairs well with Dance of Death (and the alternate wound-generation of a Nalpazca or Shattered Pillar), and you can utilize wounds-based abilities for offense, reserving your Guile-based stuff for your defense and debuffs. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

As I play this game more and more, my favorite groups have identical primary attacks.  For example, I currently have 4 powerful casters and a Cipher(SB)/Fighter.  The 4 casters unload death in 3-6 seconds and nothing is left standing (regular battles).  My Cipher just stands there (melee-heavy build), since moving into the mobs would mean enduring 4-8 spells of AOE-damage from my own party.  You could go with a ranged weapon, but for me, it never matches the potency of spell damage at higher levels.

What does this have to do with Trickster synergy?  Well, I share Enoch's suggestions for a melee-focused party.  If you have a caster heavy party, I would go Trickster/Wiz, Trickster/Druid, or Trickster/Priest, this way they can contribute to the primary spell-assault.  I like Trickster/Wiz since you can focus on an all-offensive grimoire, because your defense can be managed by Trickster side.  For thematic reasons, you could go with a decay/poison caster with Trickster, but generalist or elementalist work fine as well.  

Another vote for Soulblade. Borrowed Instinct, Mirrored Image, and Psychovampiric Shield all stack for +55 DEF, then you can generate focus through Riposte for Soul Annihilation spam.

I'm also a fan of Skald. Between Ryngrim's, Killers Froze Stiff, Thunder Rolled, and Lovers Cried Out, you can apply each kind of hard control affliction. Thick Grew Their Tongues is great with all of the Rogue's interrupt attacks and really makes the Harbinger a competent boss killer.

Soulblade

But really, Trickster is one of the strongest single classes imho so consider going that route.

Curious about this. Single class rogues don't seem very attractive to me on paper. Enduring Shadows looks pretty dope but the high level abilities don't seem gamechanging and are pretty expensive. What am I missing? Or is it just that a rogue with Wall of Colours/Freezing Rake is especially good?

Soulblade

But really, Trickster is one of the strongest single classes imho so consider going that route.

Curious about this. Single class rogues don't seem very attractive to me on paper. Enduring Shadows looks pretty dope but the high level abilities don't seem gamechanging and are pretty expensive. What am I missing? Or is it just that a rogue with Wall of Colours/Freezing Rake is especially good?

Vanishing Strike i think, because attacks don’t break its invisibility, so imagine a SC Assassin spamming spells or gambit after using vanishing strike and nobody can attack him, it’s quite powerful IMO.

Soulblade

Vanishing Strike i think, because attacks don’t break its invisibility, so imagine a SC Assassin spamming spells or gambit after using vanishing strike and nobody can attack him, it’s quite powerful IMO.

But it costs 3 Guile and has a base duration of 5secs. Seems like it would be strong for maybe 30 seconds before you're out of resources.

Soulblade

But it costs 3 Guile and has a base duration of 5secs. Seems like it would be strong for maybe 30 seconds before you're out of resources.

Thus you need very high DEX and INT. You don't need Resolve, Con and can keep Might at 10 because when under invisibility you are immortal, and get +25 accuracy bonus and 50% critical bonus from assassinate constantly. SC assassin is a glass cannon until lvl 19, then u just need to chain vanishing strike.

With high INT and +duration items you can get like 10 sec of invisibility, then you can use something like Thunderous Report from Kitchen Stove or Wilting Wind from Amira's Wing to do tons of damage to hoards, I don't think any hoards will be able to stand more than 1 mins under these spells buffed by assassinate.

The hard part is how to reach lvl 19 as u are squishy as hell before u get vanishing strike. I think it is more doable when u solo because u get more exp and do quest that doesn't involve battles.

Edited by dunehunter

Vanishing Strike - in my opinion - is best with a Streitfighter with dual mortars. You attack with Gambit (nearly always enough crits for complete refund) and get blooded and flanked, then jump into the center of mobs and use Vanishing Strikes. You will get +100% crit dmg and bonus Sneak Attack dmg and -50% recovery/reload which lets you dish out more attacks during invisibility. You want to be in the midst in order to trigger Backstab for as many enemies around you as possible. The +25 ACC of Assassin is nice against tougher enemies, but Streetfighter is better against multiple ones. Mainly just because you can put out more attacks while invisible.

Don't forget to use the Stalking Cloak when going single class Rogue (who's using Vanishing Strikes).

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Freezing Rake and Wall of Many Colors, both are incredibly powerful and can be buffed +PL with Eye of Wael and White Witch Mask. I would certainly qualify them as gamechangers.

Edited by Verde

• 4 weeks later...

Monk, especially Helwalker. Trickster's defensive bonuses will mitigate the Helwalker's squishiness while the +10 intellect from turning wheel will make your spells last longer. Hit dance of death (later enduring dance) at the beginning of combat to generate wounds quickly, then spend points on stunning surge and repulsive visage to stun/fear lock enemies in melee range so you can pick them apart. Fun, versatile build that's great for either off-tanking or solid DPS. The +10 might also lets you focus on maxing dexterity, perception, and intelligence at character creation for high speed, more critical hits, and even longer spell durations.

Edited by Purudaya

The trickster class has deceptive description. It states that sneak attack is significantly weaker. This is not the case. It lowers sneak attack by a fixed 10%. So a character that would sneak attack for 60% for instance would sneak attack for 50%. The extra abilities you get by far outweigh the loss of 10%. There's no reason to go normal rogue over trickster.

• Like 3