Fire at Notre-Dame Cathedral

algroth

Definitely a major tragedy. Hopefully something can be salvaged, although it'll probably take decades to rebuild. This is also why all the world's great art and architecture needs to be digitally scanned in fine detail -- who knows when some random events will take it from us.

Yes, we should definitely take all the steps we can to avoid another Library of Alexandria level loss of knowledge and/or art. The problem with making digital copies is that we're all a single major coronal mass ejection away from every single piece of digital anything being wiped out.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Probably a carpenter forgetting to switch off something when leaving work.... sad to see. Lot's of history around that building. As for when the fire brigade shows/showed up, I don't think central Paris is easy to get trucks through and the cathedral was located on an island in the river. As somebody mentioned, water bombing the place would just have brought down the stone walls too.

I guess the question for me is, why wasn't more done to 'fire proof' such a historical building?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

ulz7Gxp.jpg

View from inside

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I have something to say: it's better to burn out than to fade away!" (unnamed Kurgan in a church)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

cersei2_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq8uCZQ4CwV1dl0M

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't get the reference.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...while I's not religious, me heart skipped as I's was watchin' 'er burn; 'specially when the steeple fell in...good that most of her artwork an' such was saved; guess theys gonna display the stuff at the Louvre fer now...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

The Crown of Thorns was saved from the fire by a fight-fighting priest: "Jean-Marc Fournier, chaplain of the Paris Fire Brigade, saved the Blessed Sacrament and the Crown of Thorns from the burning cathedral on Monday night when he bravely went in with firefighters. Fournier "went with the firefighters into Notre Dame Cathedral to save the Crown of Thorns and the Blessed Sacrament". It was brought to Paris in 1238 by French monarch Louis IX. The hallowed object was contained in an elaborate gold case which was stored in the cathedral's treasury and is only occasionally displayed for people to see." Original article: https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-fearless-priest-saved-priceless-relics-from-burning-notre-dame-11695316

Even though the relic is very unlikely to truly be *the* crown of thorns that Jesus allegedly wore, it is still a 1500+ year old relic.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

http://www.wtol.com/2019/04/16/french-billionaires-pledge-million-euros-help-rebuild-notre-dame/

Excellent news, 2 of Frances richest families have pledged over 300 million Euros to rebuild Notre Dame

Its just not true that wealthy people dont give there money away to good causes  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

cersei2_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq8uCZQ4CwV1dl0M

photo19.jpg

buenaventura-durruti-6.jpg

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Big surprise he advertises himself as atheist. It's like CrossFit :p

Still though, I can only think of a few metals that would melt under 600 degrees

PS I'm a not metal melting expert thought I did once perform in a radio play as Robert Goulet dressed liked Mr. Bean playing the Scarecrow in a Summer Stock production of the Wizard of Oz dedicated to Tony Randall

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Lead melts at half that. Tin is pretty low too.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ironically the more stable a metal is atomically the lower it's melting point. Larger (atomically larger) metals that ionize easily (meaning electrical conductors) tend to have high melting points. This seems like something I used to know the why of but I believe that brain cell that held that data was killed by bourbon. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Apparently that cross was in an alcove, so was well off, all considered. Hm, wonder what it is called to describe metal behavior at different temperatures

Apparently that cross was in an alcove, so was well off, all considered. Hm, wonder what it is called to describe metal behavior at different temperatures

When you were in college you likely took a class call Strength of Materials, or Engineering Materials, or something along those lines. For me it was a four class series all Eng undergrads took no matter what discipline they were in: Statics, Dynamics, Fluid Mechanics, and Strength of Materials. The Comp Sci guys were bored out of their minds! 

Thomas Sowell