Fire at Notre-Dame Cathedral

algroth

They're doing construction at the Cathedral; can't help but wonder if there was an accident in that process that started the fire.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-notredame-fire-idUSKCN1RR1UO

Terrible news, I hope they can salvage this iconic and historically important building 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Trump's suggestion of water bombers would be funny to see carried out.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sometimes there's not a lot firemen can do; the fire could have been far spread before they got there (or even before they got the call).  If its burning particularly hot, water might not even be getting to it to try and douse it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've seen fires of this size continue for hours in the past, despite fireman intervention. It'll take a while.

And as Gfted points out too, I reckon there's probably a pressure to try and save as much as is possible and resorting to a means that can prove even more destructive can be a complicated business.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Why are the firemen unable to stop the fire? Not to criticise, just genuinly curious

The area isn't exactly easy to access for large vehicles. Furthermore, the fire apparently started in the scaffolding over the roof, which is ~70m high. Not sure how high the ladders on the heaviest fire trucks reach, even assuming Paris firefighters have them.

Putting large fires out is not easy. If the structures involved are hard to maneuver around and wooden, well...

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Man, I hope it was an accident, because you'd have to be a next-level ***hole to set fire to a national monument.

I guess the restoration project just turned into a repair project.  ;(

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm not huge on architectural history, but it's always a shame when something like that goes up in flames.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Apparently, they managed to save some things in the cathedral, that's something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I guess the restoration project just turned into a repair project.  ;(

By the looks of this picture, unfortunately, this looks more like it is going to be a rebuilding project:

D4OAr8_X4AAdCMD.jpg

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Definitely a major tragedy. Hopefully something can be salvaged, although it'll probably take decades to rebuild. This is also why all the world's great art and architecture needs to be digitally scanned in fine detail -- who knows when some random events will take it from us.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."