Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Politics and Statesmenship: A Forum Special Report

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3347 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Here's a link for the program

https://www.uscis.go...ilitary-service

• BruceVC likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5953 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Huh, only 1 year required and an Honorable discharge. Easy peasy!

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3347 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Biden announced that he's going to announce his announcement or however it works nowadays.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

We should offer a program where service gaurentees citizenship. :yes:

This is a very good idea but maybe make it military service?

Dude, seriously?

Yeah. It's funny because in the movie, it was suggested that the well-off didn't really need to serve -- which defeats the point. Johnny had a bright future ahead of him, going to college and making obscene amounts of money to spend on cruises around the rings of Saturn or whatever (giant bug meteors of death permitting). He only signed up because Denise Richards.

Sadly, thinking with your **** IRL tends to yield worse results than what one may glean from Rico's tale.

And to no one's surprise, Brucie fully endorses any universal scheme that he can pay his way out of.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Biden announced that he's going to announce his announcement or however it works nowadays.

thanks for the announcement.

read a bit more o' the muelle report.

have been giving barr benefit o' the doubt, but is getting difficult. the mueller report presents more than a little evidence o' obstruction. legally sufficient? mueller appears to specific caution prosecutors from making such a determination as a President is likely not subject to criminal prosecution while in office but to be charged with a crime current would undue burden a future defense 'gainst such charges and speedy trial requirements would be undercut. as such, as far as we can tell, the reason mueller did not choose to make a determination on obstruction were precise 'cause he saw grounds for leveling such charges. lack o' a recommendation on obstruction is far from an exoneration and is not even representing ambivalence.  rather, lack o' a specific determination appears to be a strategic choice which preserves a possible future criminal prosecution if Congress does not choose to prohibit the corrupt use o' a President's authority. 

reads more like an anticipatory admonishment o' Congress, and the more we read, the worse it reads for trump.

will be looking forward to mueller testimony before Congress.

• ShadySands and Bartimaeus like this

majestic

majestic

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1001 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah. It's funny because in the movie, it was suggested that the well-off didn't really need to serve -- which defeats the point. Johnny had a bright future ahead of him, going to college and making obscene amounts of money to spend on cruises around the rings of Saturn or whatever (giant bug meteors of death permitting). He only signed up because Denise Richards.

Sadly, thinking with your **** IRL tends to yield worse results than what one may glean from Rico's tale.

And to no one's surprise, Brucie fully endorses any universal scheme that he can pay his way out of.

It also underscores BruceVC's not-so-latent fascist tendencies. It doesn't get any more obviously fascist than The Federation in Starship Troopers without invoking Benito or Adolf in some way. :p

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

So he gave the country a promise ring or something like that  :lol:

• ShadySands likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

have been giving barr benefit o' the doubt, but is getting difficult. the mueller report presents more than a little evidence o' obstruction. legally sufficient? mueller appears to specific caution prosecutors from making such a determination as a President is likely not subject to criminal prosecution while in office but to be charged with a crime current would undue burden a future defense 'gainst such charges and speedy trial requirements would be undercut. as such, as far as we can tell, the reason mueller did not choose to make a determination on obstruction were precise 'cause he saw grounds for leveling such charges. lack o' a recommendation on obstruction is far from an exoneration and is not even representing ambivalence.  rather, lack o' a specific determination appears to be a strategic choice which preserves a possible future criminal prosecution if Congress does not choose to prohibit the corrupt use o' a President's authority. 

reads more like an anticipatory admonishment o' Congress, and the more we read, the worse it reads for trump.

I was reading a bit more myself. There is a whole lot of things he WANTED to do but met with refusals or just failed. One thing is crystal clear, calling him dishonest is an understatement. Like I said... there is a shocker. 

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Forced service is slavery. PERIOD.

• Guard Dog and Malcador like this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
You mean a draft? What about voluntary service granting citizenship ala the linked military program?

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Are those naturally born in the country forced to take part to gain citizenship like a certain book/movie? Than no. But, someone from another country that is fine. It is voluntary in a country doesn't owe 'outsiders' citizenship or anything, imo.

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@Vol: Buttigeigs idea sounds more like what some countries such as Israel and Finland have. But those are smaller countries that wouldn't be able to rely as easily on volunteers to fill out the military as we do (and Israel has historical reasons). So, I just wonder what problem he's trying to solve there. I do recall Guard Dog (or one of the other ex-military on here) stating his opinion on conscripts or non-volunteers, so, theres that.

@Boeroer on the previous page because I don't want to deal with the hassle of quoting: The US has had volunteer military for most of it's history though. It's one thing to have it be institutional for a long time and another to switch from mandatory to volunteer. Edit: Actually, my mistake, we only fully transitioned to an all-volunteer military in 1973. I was under the impression that it had been the norm for a long time.

Edited by smjjames, Today, 07:30 AM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I was reading a bit more myself. There is a whole lot of things he WANTED to do but met with refusals or just failed. One thing is crystal clear, calling him dishonest is an understatement. Like I said... there is a shocker. 

success o' trump's efforts is not requisite for a crime.  the code speaks in terms such as "endeavours to influence" and the like. 

during barr's presser, he were explaining trump motivations for his actions.  reason for this is the criminal defense for trump would be predicated not on his failure to material obstruct the investigation, but rather his lack o' criminal intent.  such a defense would be embarrassing for trump and the nation, not 'cause it would reveal trump as some kinda criminal mastermind, but quite the opposite-- defense would be dependent on trump showing there were no forethought.  the President hates it when folks in media and his political opponents suggest the President is dangerously impulsive and has only the most limited capacity for self-reflection.  to stay out o' prison would require trump to fully embrace a "i can't help myself" defense?

any kinda a trial would be an absolute circus and not a fun circus but rather the kinda circus where lions and tigers and elephants get loose and eat the audience, but only after bad peanuts resulted in many folks becoming violently ill and assuming a spontaneous f-5 tornado managed to destroy the circus survivors... and two or three neighboring towns.

HA! Good Fun!

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Or in DF parlance, a iiiFUNiii circus.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

An impeachment would be the ultimate act of self immolation. He's facing the electorate next year, that will be trial enough. If the Democrats nominate another repulsive and undetectable candidate or he somehow finds his way back into office we're getting the government we deserve. I can't name one of the... what 16 or 17 democrats is it now that I'd like better than him. Like I said before, there are no saints in hell. 

I know I'm not voting for any of them. F--k them all.

Edited by Guard Dog, Today, 08:05 AM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

larry has become a little colorful as he ages, and is arguable now a bat crap crazy liberal (am stressing the crazy part and not the liberal... liberal is not a dirty word in Gromnir's lexicon), but even he cautions 'gainst impeachment.

vote trump out is the obvious best solution, but am admitted worried the democrats (and a few independents) is gonna screw up what should be an obvious choice. 

HA! Good Fun!

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

'Undetectable', is that autocorrect striking? heh. You think all of the Democrats are repulsive and unelectable anyway, so, that's not a very comparative bar.

Also, the number is like, 19 now? And Biden is announcing later in the week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users