• Haiti: Democrat
  • Bosnia: Democrat
  • Kosovo: Democrat
  • Afghanistan: Republican
  • Iraq: Republican
  • West Africa: Democrat
  • Libya: Democrat
  • Syria: Democrat & Republican

Had enough yet? Then stop voting for Democrats and Republicans.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

• Korean War: Democrat
  • Bay of Pigs: Democrat
  • Vietnam: Democrat & Republican
  • Dominican Republic (1965) Democrat
  • Lebanon: Republican
  • Grenada: Republican
  • Panama: Republican
  • Gulf War: Republican
  • Somalia: Republican
  • Haiti: Democrat
  • Bosnia: Democrat
  • Kosovo: Democrat
  • Afghanistan: Republican
  • Iraq: Republican
  • West Africa: Democrat
  • Libya: Democrat
  • Syria: Democrat & Republican

Had enough yet? Then stop voting for Democrats and Republicans.

then go ahead and vote gary johnson for 2020... 'bout as pointless as voting gary johnson 2016. 

besides which, you clear are taking wrong lesson from your list. should be recognizing the foreign war issue is not related to party affiliation. is not liberal or conservative, democrat or republican.  am sure you can find a neville chamberlain 'mongst the current presidential offerings, but such a candidate won't solve your issues seeing as how is 2019 and not 1890.

oh, and

like it or not, President is most significant in a foreign relations capacity. a President enjoys more deference from Court and fewer entanglements with Congress when acting on world stage, but this is the guy gd supported? once again, gd is coming at this bass ackwards. gd doesn't like foreign entanglements and wars so mistaken choose guy least capable o' keeping us out o' foreign troubles.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
removed image to reduce clutter

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't think Trump knows anymore about Aleppo than Gary Johnson. I think Trump probably has a better advisor whispering in his ear, but the idea that any of these candidates are well-versed on every foreign hot spot is unlikely unless they already have a background in that. It was an embarrassing moment for Johnson, he admitted as much and said he needs to be better on foreign affairs moving forward, but his ability to answer a question on a talk show about Aleppo is really not an indicator of how effective he will be at keeping us out of foreign troubles. Is he going to be like LBJ and trust all the Ivy League advisors that came in with Kennedy when it comes to Vietnam? I can assume he won't be like Eisenhower, with a well-earned reluctance to use the full might of the military, but who knows? 

It's a moot point, he wasn't going to win, we know that. But it would be nice to see real challenges against the established institutions, instead of the way they tend to be dismissed.

Edited by Hurlshot

16 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

then go ahead and vote gary johnson for 2020... 'bout as pointless as voting gary johnson 2016. 

besides which, you clear are taking wrong lesson from your list. should be recognizing the foreign war issue is not related to party affiliation. is not liberal or conservative, democrat or republican.  am sure you can find a neville chamberlain 'mongst the current presidential offerings, but such a candidate won't solve your issues seeing as how is 2019 and not 1890.

oh, and

like it or not, President is most significant in a foreign relations capacity. a President enjoys more deference from Court and fewer entanglements with Congress when acting on world stage, but this is the guy gd supported? once again, gd is coming at this bass ackwards. gd doesn't like foreign entanglements and wars so mistaken choose guy least capable o' keeping us out o' foreign troubles.

HA! Good Fun!

Also most of these wars were legitimate and necessary, for example you needed to fight various proxy wars against the USSR during the Cold War in order to effectively bankrupt them and slowdown the global spread of " Mother Russia "  and prove that Communism was a failed and flawed ideology

I will  add that the majority of wars after 9/11, especially Afghanistan, were also necessary....Islamic extremism is  real and AQ attacked the USA. This type of belligerence cannot simply be ignored 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Grom, he's not running. And, not to re-hash old and pointless arguments, a vote for his was not actually FOR him. As you well know. You know perfectly well voting for him, or any other candidate from the LP was not about getting THAT person elected. I really wish you would stop flogging that horse... it's dead. Or maybe you don't get it. I don't know. 

Some foreign entanglements are unavoidable. Three on my list certainly were.  Korea, Gulf War & Afghanistan. The rest were unnecessary and some even self defeating. The point being political D & R change places but the actions don't change, maybe it's past time to look past the D & R.

Edit: Grenada was also unavoidable

Edited by Guard Dog
Grenada

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

39 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

He made a good point

Thomas Sowell

26 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I don't think Trump knows anymore about Aleppo than Gary Johnson.

lord knows we ain't using trump as a baseline.  preach to the choir. not sure how trump incompetence relates to gary johnson.

am also thinking the linked johnson comment were extreme telling. is not as if gary were being asked 'bout some obscure hotspot in sub saharan africa or se asia which only folks with security clearances were aware. nightly news fodder were aleppo.  regardless, as foreign policy actions is where President is most significant, a fundamental ignorance o' foreign relations should be enough to remove such a candidate from serious Presidential contention in the minds o' most voters. 

you make it sound as if gary johnson were dismissed outta hand when is our contention comments such as aleppo shoulda' resulted in hurl dismissing him as a viable candidate. if hurl genuine had no idea how gary johnson would perform on world stage, that alone shoulda' made you cringe at the thought o' voting for him. 

and gd kinda missed our point on voting for gary johnson 2020. am knowing he ain't running, but fact he ain't running makes no difference whatsoever. is just as likely to get him elected 2020 as you were 2016. thank goodness. elect a candidate bumbling ignorant regarding the single most important aspect o' the Presidency?

americans get themselves torqued 'bout Presidential opinions on economy and abortion and other issues. past few years should make obvious that a President has limited power to make unilateral changes to domestic policy, particular as US fed is far less significant in the day-to-day lives o' most americans than many realize. foreign policy is arguable most important when selecting a President, but somehow it gets relegated to secondary status in the minds o' far too many voters.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as for flogging a dead horse...

am genuine uncertain whether or not gd is gong for self-effacing irony with this.

Edited by Gromnir
gd head-scratcher

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

OK, I will repeat this for the final time. i'll try to make is as simple as possible. It does not matter if Gary Johnson would have been a good President or not. it was utterly irrelevant. The idea behind voting for him was NOT to make him President. We all knew... all of us... that was not possible. What WAS possible and what we were hoping for was to get the LP candidate 5% of the popular vote. IF that had happened the candidate in 2020 would have had automatic ballot access and be eligible for campaign funds. 

So please let this s--t about the aleppo remark go. Nobody gave a s--t. It-did-not-matter. He could have been a blithering idiot all the time it-did-not-matter. It was not about electing him. It was about 5% of the popular vote. Do you see? I cannot dumb this down any more than that.

His self inflicted injuries may have cost us the 1.1% of the vote we fell short by. They may not have.  He was not a terrible candidate. Just not a good one. Trump and Clinton were terrible candidates and each would have made terrible presidents. One certainly did.

And here is the thing. In 2020 we're going to run someone else who will not win no matter what. And IDGAF  about that or who it is I'm going to vote for them. Because no matter who it is I want to see other party candidates on debate stages and election polls that are not D or R. Hell we NEED that. Because it is impossible at this point to figure out which of those two is more f----d up. The only way those future other candidates get on the ballots and on the debate stages is when the candidates of today start getting votes. Gromnir , Hurlshot & myself at least can vote for whomever the f--k we please with a clear conscience because the outcome of our states is a foregone conclusion as far as the President goes. If you live in a state that a handful of votes might actually make a difference, like Florida, Ohio, etc, then do what you think is best. But in California voting for Clinton or Trump you could have walked down to the beach and shouted it to the f-----g seals for all it changed things. The D & R were already established for 2020 and beyond. But voting for a third party MIGHT have helped change something four years, eight years down the road. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Hmmm 1

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

OK, I will repeat this for the final time. i'll try to make is as simple as possible. It does not matter if Gary Johnson would have been a good President or not. it was utterly irrelevant. The idea behind voting for him was NOT to make him President. We all knew... all of us... that was not possible. What WAS possible and what we were hoping for was to get the LP candidate 5% of the popular vote. IF that had happened the candidate in 2020 would have had automatic ballot access and be eligible for campaign funds. 

So please let this s--t about the aleppo remark go. Nobody gave a s--t. It-did-not-matter. He could have been a blithering idiot all the time it-did-not-matter. It was not about electing him. It was about 5% of the popular vote. Do you see? I cannot dumb this down any more than that.

His self inflicted injuries may have cost us the 1.1% of the vote we fell short by. They may not have.  He was not a terrible candidate. Just not a good one. Trump and Clinton were terrible candidates and each would have made terrible presidents. One certainly did.

And here is the thing. In 2020 we're going to run someone else who will not win no matter what. And IDGAF  about that or who it is I'm going to vote for them. Because no matter who it is I want to see other party candidates on debate stages and election polls that are not D or R. Hell we NEED that. Because it is impossible at this point to figure out which of those two is more f----d up. The only way those future other candidates get on the ballots and on the debate stages is when the candidates of today start getting votes. Gromnir , Hurlshot & myself at least can vote for whomever the f--k we please with a clear conscience because the outcome of our states is a foregone conclusion as far as the President goes. If you live in a state that a handful of votes might actually make a difference, like Florida, Ohio, etc, then do what you think is best. But in California voting for Clinton or Trump you could have walked down to the beach and shouted it to the f-----g seals for all it changed things. The D & R were already established for 2020 and beyond. But voting for a third party MIGHT have helped change something four years, eight years down the road. 

Im confused, are you saying that Johnson couldnt have become president...is that what you saying :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

OK, I will repeat this for the final time.

we have heard your specious reasoning regarding the vote for 2016 many times. you dragging out the libertarian presidential candidates to get beaten over and over again ain't ironic? have gary johnson's and similar embarrass themselves and libertarian cause on national stage were not a win, no matter how gd tries to reimagine. aleppo didn't matter to you? that is exact the problem. arguable most important area o' knowledge for a President is beside the point for gd. johnson garnered 3.27% o' the popular vote. perot, as an independent, got better than 19%... and he were smart enough to realize 19% weren't anywhere near enough. perot gave up as independent. libertarians... well, you are beating the same freaking horse with same freaking clubs overandov erandoverandoverandoverandover.

we would happily vote libertarian if there were a decent libertarian candidate. however, actual competence o' candidates is a uniquely Gromnir requirement in our debates on this matter. 

drag out same dead horse again, and you are gonna once again get aleppo'd and perot'd and 3.27%. pretend as if obvious incompetent candidates will improve voter wellbeing or libertarian cause is gonna get same reply from us as your act o' equine necroviolence is similar unchanged.

HA! Good Fun!

I thought Black Hawk down was under Clinton, but it's possible that I might be thinking of when he withdrew several months later, a few months into his term.

Also, you could put Democrat in for Afghanistan and Iraq. You put Syria down as Democrat and Republican because Trump still had to deal with it and Obama still had to deal with Afghanistan and Iraq. Not sure how Grenada was unavoidable, all I've heard is that it was basically overthrowing some leader we didn't like. I'll look at wiki though.

edit: Looked at wiki and while Ronald Reagan said that the justification was to rescue 600 something students, reading wiki, it seems like overkill to do all of that just to rescue 600 students, why not just extract those people? That's what spec ops are for aren't they?

Edit2: You know, isn't the reason sorta close to the excuse Putin gave for the invasion of Crimea? That is, to protect Russian citizens?

Edited by smjjames

Have to lol at the Johnson video, why do people always post the contextless version? Rhetorical question of course, they post it for the same reason the question was asked the way it was; it was a gotcha question to make him look stupid. Here's a transcript, all previous questions were both domestic and had context in the question; the Aleppo one is thrown in contextless and was about foreign policy. His answer definitely has aged better than the hysterical media hand wringing on Aleppo did.

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Edit2: You know, isn't the reason sorta close to the excuse Putin gave for the invasion of Crimea? That is, to protect Russian citizens?

Crimea was Russian ethnicity being 'protected' rather than Russian citizens per se. Crimea also had a big naval base (which was to have the lease to Russia cancelled and then be leased to... NATO) and a history of not wanting to be part of Ukraine per their votes to leave in 1991 and 1994-5.

[and since I mentioned it yesterday, the leaked engineering report on the Douma chlorine attack showing the cylinders were not dropped but were placed has been confirmed as genuine by the OPCW. Who, being a proud independent institution, are investigating it being leaked; and not it being suppressed in the first place...]

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Confused 1

True, but it seems like overkill just for that reason given and the wiki article under criticisms said that there was no proof of them being in imminent danger. Being afraid of another Iran hostage incident is understandable, but it kind of sounds like it went beyond an extraction op. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

we have heard your specious reasoning regarding the vote for 2016 many times. you dragging out the libertarian presidential candidates to get beaten over and over again ain't ironic? have gary johnson's and similar embarrass themselves and libertarian cause on national stage were not a win, no matter how gd tries to reimagine. aleppo didn't matter to you? that is exact the problem. arguable most important area o' knowledge for a President is beside the point for gd. johnson garnered 3.27% o' the popular vote. perot, as an independent, got better than 19%... and he were smart enough to realize 19% weren't anywhere near enough. perot gave up as independent. libertarians... well, you are beating the same freaking horse with same freaking clubs overandov erandoverandoverandoverandover.

we would happily vote libertarian if there were a decent libertarian candidate. however, actual competence o' candidates is a uniquely Gromnir requirement in our debates on this matter. 

drag out same dead horse again, and you are gonna once again get aleppo'd and perot'd and 3.27%. pretend as if obvious incompetent candidates will improve voter wellbeing or libertarian cause is gonna get same reply from us as your act o' equine necroviolence is similar unchanged.

HA! Good Fun!

When you keep throwing out his unsuitability for the office it made me wonder if you were getting why some people vote for hopeless candidates. I figured you understood but here comes the aleppo thing again and I wondered again if I'd misjudged. So... the dead horses are buried. You'll hear no more of that from me at least. 

Thomas Sowell

36 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

When you keep throwing out his unsuitability for the office it made me wonder if you were getting why some people vote for hopeless candidates. I figured you understood but here comes the aleppo thing again and I wondered again if I'd misjudged. So... the dead horses are buried. You'll hear no more of that from me at least. 

am knowing why you say you have voted for hopeless candidates.  is why we brought up the actual popular vote and perot as well as aleppo.

am understanding why aleppo is a sore spot. aleppo severe undercuts your argument... and is embarrassing. if the national recognition you is getting for libertarians is the kinda ridicule resulting from aleppo comments, then it ain't helping expand future opportunities for libertarians. is why we has suggested the alternative o' starting local and developing qualified candidates rather than wasting votes and money on hopeless candidates. 

gd dogged defense o' libertarian alternative in spite o' lack o' candidate or platform is so profound bass ackwards we have trouble contemplating a more flawed approach. similar, but less bootless, were the folks who voted trump.  same reasoning as exhibited in your silly license plate image and list. trump were a viable option for all those poor and white rural americans who voted obama and felt abandoned. can't trust democrats and they didn't genuine trust any traditional republican candidate... so pick the outsider with no experience and a penchant for saying stoopid stuff when a microphone is pointed his way 'cause at least he ain't like all the other politicians. 

but yeah, am seeing cause for your confusion.  our insistence on voting for most qualified and admirable candidate must be difficult to accept if you are so invested in subverting the dominant paradigm that abilities and character is secondary issues.

HA! Good Fun!

I don't get that Aleppo drama, I have seen/heard much more ignorant comments from many other politicians. If thats the worst you can get on that guy than I see it as big success. I think half of the Twitter posts from Trump over shadow it any day.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

7 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am knowing why you say you have voted for hopeless candidates.  is why we brought up the actual popular vote and perot as well as aleppo.

am understanding why aleppo is a sore spot. aleppo severe undercuts your argument... and is embarrassing. if the national recognition you is getting for libertarians is the kinda ridicule resulting from aleppo comments, then it ain't helping expand future opportunities for libertarians. is why we has suggested the alternative o' starting local and developing qualified candidates rather than wasting votes and money on hopeless candidates. 

gd dogged defense o' libertarian alternative in spite o' lack o' candidate or platform is so profound bass ackwards we have trouble contemplating a more flawed approach. similar, but less bootless, were the folks who voted trump.  same reasoning as exhibited in your silly license plate image and list. trump were a viable option for all those poor and white rural americans who voted obama and felt abandoned. can't trust democrats and they didn't genuine trust any traditional republican candidate... so pick the outsider with no experience and a penchant for saying stoopid stuff when a microphone is pointed his way 'cause at least he ain't like all the other politicians. 

but yeah, am seeing cause for your confusion.  our insistence on voting for most qualified and admirable candidate must be difficult to accept if you are so invested in subverting the dominant paradigm that abilities and character is secondary issues.

HA! Good Fun!

yeah poor white males, probably consist of 51% of the US population it seems...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

15 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

I don't get that Aleppo drama, I have seen/heard much more ignorant comments from many other politicians. If thats the worst you can get on that guy than I see it as big success. I think half of the Twitter posts from Trump over shadow it any day.

why do people keep trying to use trump as the benchmark?  when did trump become the minimum standard for competence and/or morality? lord knows we has often criticized trump for his ignorance and mendacity, so pointing out what a maroon is trump makes little sense in the present context.

and no, poor and white males is not 51% of voters much less population. not even close.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/12/09/the-american-middle-class-is-losing-ground/

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/08/22/chapter-2-middle-class-demographics/

nevertheless, it is a significant enough percentage, particularly as so  many such folks voted obama previous. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
added extra link

8 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

why do people keep trying to use trump as the benchmark?  when did trump become the minimum standard for competence and/or morality? lord knows we has often criticized trump for his ignorance and mendacity, so pointing out what a maroon is trump makes little sense in the present context.

and no, poor and white males is not 51% of voters much less population. not even close.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/08/22/chapter-2-middle-class-demographics/

nevertheless, it is a significant enough percentage, particularly as so  many such folks voted obama previous. 

HA! Good Fun!

Since he won the race he became a benchmark. Not like he was first doodle winning US elections, people somehow quickly forgot good O'Bill and Mr. Bush. Such epitomes of intellect.

anyway, you trying to put skin color to any every political discussions is pretty boring

Edited by Chilloutman

32 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

anyway, you trying to put skin color to any every political discussions is pretty boring

funny. am not certain we can identify another recent politics thread post where we added skin color into the discussion. most recent Gromnir + race post related to politics we found were the following from 2016:

not exact the kinda example you are looking for, but there you go. welcome to look for the trend.

we did join the maga catholic school boys and black isrealites discussion in january o' this year (*gasp*) but is hardly Gromnir who raised race issue, and again we demurred, suggesting the confrontation were blown way outta proportion.

am thinking your own preconceptions is coloring your memory or perspective. kinda fixated.

and no, trump doesn't get to be Gromnir's benchmark just because he were elected. were the question o' Gromnir's standards for requisite competence and character for candidates for prez. fact trump got elected do not mean we need stoop to levels seeming acceptable to chill.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
failed link

2 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

funny. am not certain we can identify another recent politics thread post where we added skin color into the discussion. most recent Gromnir + race post related to politics we found were the following from 2016:

not exact the kinda example you are looking for, but there you go.

we did join the maga catholic school boys and black isrealites discussion in january o' this year (*gasp*) but is hardly Gromnir who raised race issue, and again we demurred, suggesting the confrontation were blown way outta proportion.

am thinking your own preconceptions is coloring your memory or perspective. kinda fixated.

and no, trump doesn't get to be Gromnir's benchmark just because he were elected. were the question o' Gromnir's standards for requisite competence and character for candidates for prez. fact trump got elected do not mean we need stoop to levels seeming acceptable to chill.

HA! Good Fun!

good try mate xD:

i likeblack humor, not too brutal for me

isntwhite march for PoE generally considered IWD inspired and for NWN2 Pathfinder kingmaker?

are we really have to debate ifblack magic needs to be debunked on universities in this time? Well maybe we deserve to extinct, no surprise that dams in SA falling apart, which was my original point

I just can't comperhand how you can live in suchblack andwhite political spectrum.

1 minute ago, Chilloutman said:

good try mate xD:

dear lord. anybody who clicks on the link will see how often you get yourself embroiled in the topics we identified. select the exceptions helps with none save those who don't bother to clicky and perhaps those who share your preoccupations.

not a particular good try... mate.

HA! Good Fun!

1 minute ago, Gromnir said:

dear lord. anybody who clicks on the link will see how often you get yourself embroiled in the topics we identified. select the exceptions helps with none save those who don't bother to clicky and perhaps those who share your preoccupations.

not a particular good try... mate.

HA! Good Fun!

an example?