The Next Funny Stuff Thread

Amentep

912JKbXA6SL.jpg

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

61296145_935277753515374_658488382774575

• Like 5

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Rules of Engagement

Marine Corps Rules

1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
3. Have a plan.
4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won’t work.
5. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet ­ even your friends…
6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a “4.”
7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
12. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot.

Navy SEAL’s Rules

1. Look very cool in sunglasses.
2. Kill every living thing within view.
3. Adjust speedo.
4. Check hair in mirror.

US Army Rangers Rules

1. Walk in 50 miles wearing 75 pound rucksack while starving.
2. Locate individuals requiring killing.
3. Request permission via radio from “Higher” to perform killing.
4. Curse bitterly when mission is aborted.
5. Walk out 50 miles wearing a 75 pound rucksack while starving.

US Army Rules

1. Curse bitterly when receiving operational order.
2. Make sure there is extra ammo and extra coffee.
3. Curse bitterly.
4. Curse bitterly.
5. Do not listen to 2nd LT’s; it can get you killed.
6. Curse bitterly.

US Air Force Rules

1. Have a ****tail.
2. Adjust temperature on air-conditioner.
3. See what’s on HBO.
4. Ask “what is a gunfight?”
5. Request more funding from Congress with a “killer” Power Point presentation.
6. Wine & dine ‘key’ Congressmen, invite DOD & defense industry executives.
7. Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets.
8. Declare the assets “strategic” and never deploy them operationally.
9. Hurry to make 13:45 tee-time.
10. Make sure the base is as far as possible from the conflict but close enough to have tax exemption.

US Navy Rules

1. Go to Sea.
2. Drink Coffee.
3. Deploy Marines

• Haha 7

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

seems accurate enough

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

D8DzG1XXYAEX2Qi.jpg

-Teknoman2-

The never ending struggle to decide whether to:

• Represent the acting pool.
  • Represent the subjects.
  • Represent the viewers.

Pick one, get lambasted for the other two. Still get lambasted for the one you picked because it's not good enough.

If you only pick subjects that fill all criteria, all your media starts to converge. Pick something different than what's out there, and all of a sudden you are a target for picking a niche. Except people want niche stories that they aren't already privy to, so the people that complain only do so to self-serve and to try out how far their newest talking points can get them. It's like those complainers forget that the entertainment industry is already one of the most progressive industries out there, and they are still never satisfied if something filmed 6 months ago doesn't abide by the shibboleth of the day.

• Like 4

I find it a silly complaint too but I think injurai has it right.

I used to get more frustrated with it but my wife, who is eastern European, pointed out something similar to me when we were watching some random movie or show. I was getting frustrated because some of the actors seemed out of place but she was like they're all wrong as none of the actors were the correct ethnicities and they were all speaking gibberish.

It's just where the line is drawn is different for different people. I get frustrated watching war movies or most things involving the military as they usually can't get the most basic things right but most people wouldn't notice or care.

But to reiterate my first point, I still think it's a silly complaint.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

finding actors who look like the people of a country in which the plot of your show takes place is easy. finding actors who can speak with the right accent without sounding silly is VERY hard. so the idea that "the actors can look the part but can't make the accent and that makes the show unrealistic so let's add ethnic groups that do not belong to the setting because it can't get more unrealistic" is beyond silly... it requires a visit to a psychiatrist.

the Chekov actor, was he from russia or was he american of russian descent? it makes a big difference on the accent

Edited by teknoman2

-Teknoman2-

From wiki

Anton Viktorovich Yelchin was an American actor. He played Pavel Chekov in three Star Trek films: Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and the posthumously released Star Trek Beyond. Born to a Russian Jewish family in Leningrad, Yelchin and his family moved to the United States when he was a baby.

Free games updated 3/4/21

And yet ST takes place in a more globally united world so the strange hybrid accent is also totally at home in such a setting. You can play these "it couldn't work" / "it could work" games all day long.

• Like 1

I seem to recall an interview with Yelchin where he said he intentionally did things with his accent that wasn't quite  right because there were expectations about how Chekov should sound based on his previous portrayal. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man