One year on, still issues with Nvidia 1080 Ti

ldemon

Question

Hi,

The issues with Nvidia post was made in June of last year. Is Nvidia going to provide support for this product? I still have issues with a 1080 Ti even after the Special K patch. The issues are:

1. Alt-tabbing from Windowed mode, it often takes 1-2 minutes to alt-tab back into the game and often I can see the screen working behind other windows but it doesn't respond to mouse clicks and doesn't come to the front.

2. Choppy framerate issues. Even after following the recommended guide.

3. Huge load times even with SSD + 32Gb + i7-8700K

I loved Pillars 1 but am really struggling to enjoy this game because of the technical issues. Is there still hope for seeing solutions for the high end Nvidia cards?

• Like 1

17 answers to this question

They're doing everything within their power to avoid addressing this issue aside from the occasional vaguely apologetic acknowledgment. It was understandable for the first few months but like you said, it's been a full year now, for Christ's sake.

• Like 1

I've talked with a few people and it seems very specific to the Ti cards and definitely the 1080 Ti. There are still many people on these forums and GOG forums with this issue which is a real shame as the game is terrific when it works, it's just marred the experience. 

ok then, i will reinstall the game, delete savegames, reinstall Special K, switch off steam cloud for PoE2 in steam, create new game. And i forget my 60-15 fps drop and stutters in battle? 

(MSI GL62MVR-7RFX laptop. i7, gtx 1060 3gb, 16 gb ram)

I have a 1080 ti as well and the game ran fine until I took a break and there were a few patches. I have a clean install of windows, I've deleted some good ol' asus bloatware, installed latest drivers, uninstalled and re-installed. This problem has been on-going since December, do I need to play with a 760 to make this game run? I've followed the guides to fix "nvidia cards", I have used Special K and I still am unable to stop the gameplay from freezing every second and being locked to 40 fps. I could live with the 40 fps, if my game wasn't a slideshow.

This is the only game on my system I have issues with, if as one person above said they are unable to fix our issues then maybe it is time for them to be issuing refunds for these issues they refuse to resolve.

Reading through this thread sounds a lot like what I was experiencing as well.  Posted this in another thread, just going to quote:

If you have the time, can you give this a try?  Download my savegame folder here: Google Drive

Place one of my save files in your savegame folder (located at C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity II), run the game and load into my save.  Move around and see if you're still experiencing the same problems.  If it runs smooth, you're likely running into the same issue I had, which was only fixed by replacing the entire savegame folder with one from another PC that was functioning fine - replacing both achievements, and my custom AI settings folders as well as savegames on steam cloud.  More info here and here.

Note: if you have steam sync enabled, steam may automatically delete my save when you run the game -- make sure steam sync is disabled when you run the game, or that steam is closed and you're running the game from 'PillarsOfEternityII.exe' in the game directory.

This will not fix existing savegames, only new games were fixed for me.

Edited by Nehm

Ya this NEEDS to get fixed.

I'm sorry but how do you release part 2 of a game that does not work properly on the latest hardware at the time, and nearly a year after release still have no fix in sight?

Edited by johnmr531

Still waiting on a fix too. I remain confused as to why performance just nose dived after the last patch, and why there isn't so much as a "yes, we're patching it soon". As it stands, the game is completely unplayable on what should be a pretty capable rig (one that's running stuff like DOOM just fine). 

Can we please get some kind of update on what's going on? 

Urgh, still not fixed? Well, that was a pointless waste of money backing the game. /sigh

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero