Ekkevit Sux

Ananisapta

Question

There's a new potion in Beast of Winter that gives an eternal debuff to everybody who tastes it with no warning and no cure that I can discover. I'm not sure if it's a bug or somebody's bad joke at our expense. If the latter, it will please only the masochists in the crowd while alienating the majority of your audience.

post-217841-0-15584200-1554421640_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

First of all it's a drink (alcohol) and not a potion. You drink it while resting (like food), don't you?

The debuff you see is the hangover you get. You get hangover from all drinks. It happens if you drink while resting but don't do so during the next rest.

This debuff should go away with the next rest (without using alcohol).

If it doesn't - then it's a bug.

You might want to rephrase your thread title.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The debuff you see is the hangover you get. You get hangover from all drinks. It happens if you drink while resting but don't do so during the next rest.

Most of the habit-forming substances I've come across have as one of their properties that a dose will relieve the withdrawal syndrome from a prior dose. Ekkevit didn't have this, which is one reason it caught me by surprise. Another frustrating problem is that taking further doses doesn't seem to alleviate the debuff.

I'm getting ready to fight the darned dragon, having leveled several times since my last, ill-fated attempt. Guess I need to experiment with multiple resting sessions to see if I can break the curse.

So how would you suggest this discussion be titled? Strangely, I couldn't find any similar discussion on the Net.

Addendum: MaxQuest's idea helped! By resting twice... first time with a random food and second time with Glacial Ysae, I got rid of the hangover. Put me down as just an inexperienced tripper... but I still think somebody might have warned me the stuff was habit-forming. Ekkevit, after all, sounds a lot like "Aqua vitae /ˌækwə ˈvaɪtiː/ (Latin for "water of life") or aqua vita is an archaic name for a concentrated aqueous solution of ethanol. The term was in wide use during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, although its origin is likely much earlier." And alcohol I've always been able to control.

Edited by Ananisapta

Most of the habit-forming substances I've come across have as one of their properties that a dose will relieve the withdrawal syndrome from a prior dose. Ekkevit didn't have this, which is one reason it caught me by surprise. Another frustrating problem is that taking further doses doesn't seem to alleviate the debuff.

I'm getting ready to fight the darned dragon, having leveled several times since my last, ill-fated attempt. Guess I need to experiment with multiple resting sessions to see if I can break the curse.

So how would you suggest this discussion be titled? Strangely, I couldn't find any similar discussion on the Net.

Addendum: MaxQuest's idea helped! By resting twice... first time with a random food and second time with Glacial Ysae, I got rid of the hangover. Put me down as just an inexperienced tripper... but I still think somebody might have warned me the stuff was habit-forming. Ekkevit, after all, sounds a lot like "Aqua vitae /ˌækwə ˈvaɪtiː/ (Latin for "water of life") or aqua vita is an archaic name for a concentrated aqueous solution of ethanol. The term was in wide use during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, although its origin is likely much earlier." And alcohol I've always been able to control.

experienced drinkers will know that a hangover is not a withdrawal symptom that is cured by drinking more alcohol :) (Boeroer is slightly wrong on this point - after you rest with alcohol any future rest will grant you the hangover effect of that drink; drinking more alcohol will just set in place what hangover you get the next time you rest, instead of doing anything to treat the current hangover)

notably, mariner's porridge has the special property that if you eat it during rest after you've drunk alcohol you will not get a hangover. it's really unobvious, it's only mentioned in passing in the description ("A remedy for both hunger and hangovers." [emphasis added]) The only downside is you're stuck with a food rest bonus that is not great, but if you're time (eothas) or resource (rymrgand, woedica) constrained it's better than nothing.

there's also drunkard's regret, which you get from oathbinder's sanctum, which if you wear it while resting with alcohol will block the effects of the hangover from that drink the next time you rest.

Edited by thelee