Obsidian - demonstrating your game by going on a town killing spree is NOT a good idea

It looked quite boring to me.

That's because nothing significant happened in the gameplay. Nothing is revealed. They talked to some mundane characters and had some fights. The first 20 minutes of Mass Effect were far more interesting. If I do play this game I hope it has a story to tell that takes me on an epic journey. I tire of games that have you run around with fetch quests and walls of texts that add nothing to the story. That stuff only really works if you have a combat system that takes the cake. But if it's just a shooter then meh. It'd have to be at least as fun to play as ME: Andromeda. Sure the writing and such was pretty awful and the fact that they raped ME canon was also a let down, but the game was fun to play when you got to the shooting part.

I don't care for illusion of choice in conversations if that takes precedence over an actual interesting story. Yes I am able to choose to kill person X or solve a quest in ways ABC, but if I travel through a boring world, have no meaningful interaction with it or have no epic journey then I don't care. I rather have a truly good story and go through it in a linear way, than play an open world game where the world is more important than what is going on in it.

Edited by AeonsLegend

I'm hyped. The Outer Worlds looks like good old cRPG experience, where player agency is at its peak. No hand holding, no binary choices or dumbed down dialogues which prevent player from expressing his character. I like esthetics of the game, music and sound effects. VO is that part of development cycle which takes place near the end of the process, when every line of dialogue is finished and there won't be future changes. If you compare Interplay/Troika/Obsidian dialogue lists to BioWare/CDP Red/Bethesda dialogue list you will see huge difference and understand, why VO wasn't recorded yet. Combat looks fun. Some animations can be better, but it's still more time to polish the game. I keep my fingers crossed for Obsidian, but I will buy Outer Worlds when it will launched on Steam.

The dialogues... Those options are fluid, based on skill checks, reactivity from previous quests and deeds (if you seen first gameplay material) or situational options like the one to bribe the guard with grenade launcher. Those dialogue options reflect player agency, character's skills and personal approach to encounters via preffered means. Playing second time with different character, sets of skills etc. you will get different experience with the game. I'm sure there will be more or less options in some conversations (and the limit comes from budget, because of fully voiced dialogues) but those options will allow to express type of character anyone want to play. It's much better than eg. anything what Cyberpunk 2077 showed. In CP conversations are limited as hell and most options have the same meaning. Why noone is reacting to CP 2077 the same way as it always is to structure of dialogues in BioWare/Bethesda games? In Cyberpunk 2077 were dialogues options like: 1. I have an offer for you. 2. I know the guy who has an offer for you. 3. I'm gonna kill you (meeting with Militech's agent) or the one which conclude buisness with that agent: 1. No. 2. Probably no. - roleplaying masterpiece xD

giphy.gif

I really liked the start menu, the concept art in the loading screens, the environment and character designs in fact everything looked great. That city seems a bit empy, plus mostly only static npcs, I feel like that ruins it a bit. The quest looked interesting, the combat looked good but that character was very OP (i imagine that was just for the demo). Those companions seem ok but there isn't a lot to go on. It didn't feel that immersive to me like I didn't feel that interested in what was going on, maybe just because it doesn't have VO yet. 

So mostly good but they really didn't show a lot. 

So mostly good but they really didn't show a lot.

That said what makes an RPG good is not something that can be showcased in a demo. I wish they would dive more into individual mechanics but there is still time for that. What they showed looks like an engine in which a good RPG could be created. Visual fidelity isnt something I am concerned about, and I did like that it gave me an old RPG feel - put too much extra polish and creating complicated quests within this world becomes more and more expensive.

The art looks good, probably the best part about it. I'd just be happy with a bunch of unique quests and character building in this Bioshock world. The jank doesn't bother me, actually kind of like it as it usually means a lot of content and a unique experience.

It's going to be a very derivative game I'm betting. Like you played it all before.

Like most of the games out there, beside some few notable ones which come out once every few games. I didn’t play a good new action RPG in years so I would welcome one.