I realize it's an article of faith on the far Left that there's no real difference between men and women, but your attempt to reflect this delusional idea in your dialog by using they-them-their in place of gendered pronouns, especially when referring to individual NPCs who are clearly gender-typical, strikes me as awkward and distracting, and sometimes downright incomprehensible.

I didn't specifically notice this either. You're welcome to your opinion, but just the fact that you mention "the far Left" in a post in the PoE forum tells me that you're viewing absolutely everything through the lens of your political beliefs. Everything in moderation, champ.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 3

I always linked preference for gender-neutral pronouns in games with process of making voice overs. Recording two versions of every dialog could be costly for a such a small benefit.

In older games, I do not know about pillars though, there were two separate gender specific dlg files and supporting both of them took precious development time too.

Drugging politics into it is weird...

"They" is less unwieldy than "he or she" besides which plenty of languages have gender-neutral pronouns so I see no reason why "they" shouldn't suffice for English. I don't recall an instance of a clearly male/female character being referred to as "they" in dialogue but I'm sure you're not lying when you say it not only happened but happened often enough to upset you.