I really hope they are further along with fixes etc than I am expecting. I want so badly to be optimistic, but I know more than I want to about game development, and I'm expecting at least three more major patches for the TBM to be "finished". 

I'll be so happy to be wrong though, hopefully only a few hours left to find out. 

I would honestly be surprised if they released any more patches after this one (and pleasantly so, mind you.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

14 minutes ago, AndreaColombo said:

I would honestly be surprised if they released any more patches after this one (and pleasantly so, mind you.)

If they call it a day after this patch, I'll be genuinely flabbergasted. Think for a moment how many patches they have needed after every release (main game and DLC) in order to fix new or longstanding bugs - and we haven't even heard yet if they consider TBM out of beta yet. 

There is zero chance this is the "last" patch. Not when they are dropping such a large patch on us - when we see a decrease in issues being fixed by patches, and patches become extremely scarce, that's when we can expect patches and updates to cease. But not now, not when they still haven't finalised a version to be ported to consoles. There is just too much going on for this to be the last patch. 

However, assuming TBM is coming out of beta, this may be the last bit of new content. We may only ever see fixes after this. 

Edited by Xenavire

37 minutes ago, AndreaColombo said:

There were 8 more small patches after PoE1 v3.0.0.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least 1 balance patch and around 3 hotfixing ones :)

Edited by MaxQuest

Wow. Given how this has gone -- commercial disaster, Microsoft acquisition, long silence from developers -- I would think it's pretty much set in stone that this will be the last thing ever for Deadfire, and probbly for Eora, too.

Will be very happy to be proven wrong, but I'd say this will be it.

I'm pretty sure it's not the last thing we heard from Eora. Else Josh wouldn't be so invested in playtesting the Pen&Paper version. :)

It would also mean to not use an overall successful IP. Even if Deadfire sold less than expected (who knows how long it lives though), PoE did very well and both saw acclaim from critics and users as well - even won awards. You don't simply abandon something like that.

If we'll see another isometric party RPG though... Don't know. Josh said multiple times (and just recently) that he needs a pause from isometric party based RPGs. Doesn't mean that nobody else will design  PoE3, but maybe it's a hint that the motivation isn't as high as it used to be when it comes to developing such a game.

I would be fine with a tactical RPG. Or Kotor on Eora. Hey, even a beat'em up would be cool. Seeker-Slayer-Survivor style. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
embarrassing typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I would probably buy any games in the Pillars of Eternity universe (provided they were made available through GoG), but if it's any genre other than RTwP isometric party-based RPG, there's a good chance I'd get bored of it before I'm halfway through (speaking from experience.)

That said, I would be delighted if the upcoming patch were not to be the last for Deadfire.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Very cool!

Also, confirmed as the final patch (unfortunately.)

14 hours ago, Merany said:

Based on the video that's been posted :p 

Hehe ^^

Aaand the patch notes have arrived!)

P.S. Patch notes were first posted on 26th April) 

Edit: P.P.S. Yay! I can play now)

• Afflictions now work as expected for immunities, resistance, and suppression.
  • Brilliant Tactician's effects will work correctly when there are multiple Tacticians in the party.
  • Attack abilities will now apply their effects to child attacks such as AOEs in addition to the character's primary weapon attack.
  • Characters with unused engagements will now engage enemies that move in range even if they are not the primary target.
Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

Awesome news - definitely looking forward to trying this out :)

Anyone know when the patch will be live? I thought it might be live already, but Steam apparently didn't get the message, because even though the News feed has the 5.0 update, nothing is being updated. I verified the game files, and 4.1.2 is apparently still the latest official release Not sure if it's me or if it just hasn't been actually released yet.

That patch is tempting - I mean the ultimate, wonder how TB-mode ended up, hope they got it all settled!! ... As for the other patch, Magran's though ... thinking diplomatic is the way to go!  Also, who can record for that long????  30 plus hours straight of recordings?

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I'm not sure if this was ever brought up anywhere, but I've started a new game and it appears to me that a lot of dialogue was re-written and even re-voiced. I'm noticing a lot of altered lines that I swear I haven't heard before, and I've barely finished the tutorial cave.

I am particularly impressed, not only since I thought this not necessary for minor NPCs, but the re-voicing must have cost even more money.

Edited by Saito Hikari

9 minutes ago, Saito Hikari said:

I'm not sure if this was ever brought up anywhere, but I've started a new game and it appears to me that a lot of dialogue was re-written and even re-voiced. I'm noticing a lot of altered lines that I swear I haven't heard before, and I've barely finished the tutorial cave.

I am particularly impressed, not only since I thought this not necessary for minor NPCs, but the re-voicing must have cost even more money.

They mention in the video that they redid some content including new voice-overs. Mainly relating to Woedica and Eothas so don't expect the whole game to be new but supposed to make the gods' motivations clearer.