Besides the "basic" abilities that all had their own icons (which didn't fit the style of the other passives though) I also redid Unbreakable and Unrelenting since those also had their own "flashy" icon which looked out of place now. 

Will have to do the same with Wildstrike I guess?

Any feedback on the icons above (e.g. the simpler B/W versions of Constant Recovery, Sneak Attack and so on)?

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

IMO Wildstrike is fine as is.

There are, however, a number of abilities granted by items that effectively “recycle” spell icons. I find that rather confusing. Take for example Shifting Chroma from the pearlescent stone: same icon as the Wall of Many Colors. Every time the ability triggers, I look at my character afraid to be standing in the AoE of an enemy’s debuff—instead, I’m actually being buffed.

Appreciate it would be a rather large undertaking to give new icons to all those item abilities, but I’d like to put it forth for consideration as a worthy endeavor nonetheless.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

10 minutes ago, AndreaColombo said:

IMO Wildstrike is fine as is.

There are, however, a number of abilities granted by items that effectively “recycle” spell icons. I find that rather confusing. Take for example Shifting Chroma from the pearlescent stone: same icon as the Wall of Many Colors. Every time the ability triggers, I look at my character afraid to be standing in the AoE of an enemy’s debuff—instead, I’m actually being buffed.

Appreciate it would be a rather large undertaking to give new icons to all those item abilities, but I’d like to put it forth for consideration as a worthy endeavor nonetheless.

Let's see what we can do after the passives are finished. My problem is that I can/only want to do rel. simple B/W icons. Just because photoshopping with tons of gradients and stuff takes too much time.

But those item abilities would be in the same bar as all the other actives and thus should have a similar style (in other words: not the one I currently use for the passives).

Maybe just tinting or slightly modifying the current icons would be an option (that doesn't require a ton of drawing)?

@Wildstrike: the icons themselves are fine, but now they look out of place because they work with colors, gradients and shadows while the other passives are all black and white silhouettes. I would prefer to give the Wildstrike abilities different backgrounds (green for corrode, yellow for fire and so on) but also stick to b/w icons for the claw symbol - with a bit of stylized flames, drips etc. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Re active abilities, I’m fine with anything that makes it easy to tell them apart at a glance.

Understood re Wildstrike. I’m fine either way, personally.

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Besides the "basic" abilities that all had their own icons (which didn't fit the style of the other passives though) I also redid Unbreakable and Unrelenting since those also had their own "flashy" icon which looked out of place now. 

Will have to do the same with Wildstrike I guess?

Any feedback on the icons above (e.g. the simpler B/W versions of Constant Recovery, Sneak Attack and so on)?

Constant and Rapid Recovery: good

Confident Aim: small hand is trying to flatwise hit the arrows) The concept is good though

Sneak Attack: am neutral on this. First thought was of a tailor adjusting someones unfinished dressing (this someone is out of icon). But on a second sight it's ok.

Transcendent Suffering: fitting)

Wounds and Lesser Wounds: had a good chuckle here) Do like them)

Crucible of Suffering: took a long time to notice the face; otherwise it's fine

Soul Mirror, Parting Sorrow, Empowered Strikes, Imagined Pain, Unrelenting/Unbreakable: are suggestive and good enough imo

Will also note again that I love the new Persistent Distraction and Wall of Flashing Steel

As for icons I like least.. there are not so many: Enervating Blows (kinda unsettling), Riposte (still a violin for me), Deathblows (something is off.. maybe the axe behind the executioner; maybe the executioner icon itself... how about some death scythe strike instead?).

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Faith related: do like both)

Divine Purpose: good

Inspired Defense: quite suggestive 

Inspiring Triumph: very good

Aegis of Loyalty: it's ok. But not suggestive. Btw, I have tested last weekend, and weapon attacks already were removing stuff like confusion. Not just unarmed attacks. Perhaps this was a stealthy change and I shouldn't even put it in the poll :)

Mental Fortress: very good

Retribution: first though: ouch; second thought: getting arrow to the back makes one sad... well, I guess. Retribution kinda associates for me with this image

Inspired Path, Clear Head , Righteous Soul, Providence: good

Iron Gut: metal weight in the belly. Weird. But at the same time I don't have alternative ideas.

Stoic Steel and Virtuous Triumph: it's passable, but they look of lower quality compared to the others.

Divine Retribution: looks like disco party^^ How about taking that "flower" from Inspired Path and the cross from Providence?

Edited by MaxQuest

To @Boeroer
You're fast one! ;)

Combat Focus - try to use less elements (8 for example)
Weapon & Shield style - ***ing great!
Great Soul - still don't like this Hypnotoad.
Confident Aim - it's an... Arrows harvest ot what?)
Sneak attack - Why just use a masked face with dagger?
Slippery mind - get off this snake from mouth. Desgant.

I think, i can do it.

• Like 1

bvOyhcR.jpg

Chifting Croma concept (Hellstone prism icon as reference)
"The colors within the helstone shift, applying random defensive bonus at the beginning of combat."

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 2

Looks good!

I will try to alter those icons that got "mixed" feedback. First however I will create cipher's passives. It's better to come back to your work later and look at it with some distance - in order to really see the flaws. :)

But no matter how hard I try: I can't see a violin when looking at Riposte.

Divine Retribution/Disco Party: ROFL :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

But no matter how hard I try: I can't see a violin when looking at Riposte.

:lol:

For Riposte...  maybe

1) Two Foils or maybe one Foil and one Sabre facing each other, but one foil tip down and the other foil on target (pointed straight)

2) A foil extended out, facing the left side of the icon, pointed at around 45 degrees.  Below the foil image is the gradually decreasing opacity at 90 degrees and 135 degrees it is barely seen. 

Not great options, but maybe triggers a better idea.  Thanks for the effort!

Lalala... finished my first attempt on cipher's passives (scroll down to the bottom).
Before you ask me what that brain+star thing is (/Greater Focus/Keen Mind): those are only slight variantions of the symbol that it used for "focus" in the actual game. :)

new_ability_icons_v14.png?dl=1

I'm not happy with everything and it's really hard to come up with some meaningful symbols for all those abstract stuff as "echo", "soul" and whatnot. There's a lot of echos and souls here... ;)

• Like 3

Overall looks really nice)

And here's more in detail:

• Whips: good, and quite suggestive
  • Penetrating Visions: great
  • Lingering Echoes: awesome)
  • Iron Will: is suggestive, but feels a bit odd
  • Psychic and Brutal Backlashes: good
  • Hammering Thoughts: good
  • Greater Focus and Keen Mind: give an uncomfortable vibe, but are somewhat suggestive
  • Empty Soul: good
  • Complete Self: good
  • Echoing Horrors: good
  • Souls Echo: great
  • Shared Nightmare: great
  • Protective Soul: looks great, but gives an impressions that it gives bonus defenses onCrit. That 25pt barrier it gives reminds me more of "Seven Men onto the Deck" chant icon.

P.S. That spiral looks nice for focus symbol.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I'm collecting and will do some rework once I'm finshed with the first iterations of all passives... :)

Next is Ranger (down below as usual):

new_ability_icons_v15.png?dl=1

PS: classes' passives are done - exept for a few lvl-0-passives. For example there are some subclass-passives like Sharpshooter or Assassin - and the Wildstrike passives. Those will be next. Then I'll finish all the general passives (Martial Caster, Quick Summoning and so on).

Edited by Boeroer
typolinos
  • Like 4

You are getting better and better at this :)

• Faithful Companion: good (reminds me of Blink Fox from Hearthstone a bit)
  • Merciless Companion: great
  • Vicious Companion: good
  • Resilient Companion: good
  • Marksman: good
  • Protective Companion: good enough
  • Shot on the Run: great
  • Gunner: good
  • Defensive Bond: great
  • Predator's Sense: hehe), good enough
  • Stalker's Link: good enough
  • Strengthened Bond: great
  • Driving Flight: it looks like that xaurip is being fired in point blank or impaled by a pike, and an arrow comes from his back. 
  • Survival of the Fittest: good
  • Superior Camouflage: superb!)
  • Vengeful Grief: good enough
  • Stunning Shots: good
  • Distracting Training: pretty good, but is that a paddle?^^
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! :)

That's not a paddle! It's a boar spear that sticks in the ground! :) 
Those fins are there so that the spear doesn't penetrate too deep. Ah well, I can use another melee weapon. Maybe an axe in the ground or so. I thought a spear for huntng boars was most fitting. 

BTW, Superior camouflage will be look like a mess in 42x42 size (just checked and i can't distinguish all those pretty leaves). j2EED3S.png
Maybe it's worth to try simple camouflage pattern?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnXAA9HSeaaA98fL-MOgU

Strengthened Bond - Seems you forgot that icons a squares)) Maybe use shield without rays for Defensive bond and current DB icon for Strengthened Bond?
Distracted training - i don't understand what is this without your explanation - surely it will be even  worse in 42x42 size.

SdqdM2f.pngBow-string is became invincible in 42x42 And bow is too short i think.

E0PRZOn.png Something like this. And again - whole composition is unsuited for square icon.

ASSL4uT.png Claws looks unclear. Maybe try to simplify them? i8gEDVd.png

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Thanks 1

Yes, some rework is needed.

Also for the Empty Soul. The spiral on the forehead becomes a grey blob.

I can expand the more roundish symbols for a square canvas. I just make then round in order to see how it looks with the round mask. Because that's how you will look at them most of times (when deciding what to pick when leveling up).

I will tackle that once I finished the general/subclass/wildstrike icons.

Distracting Training: it's a boar that got missed by a melee attack. Easy. ;)

I think I can just delete some of the filigree leafs and then Sup. Camouflage will be ok. Actual army camouflage is not very fantasy-like. Also I only have two colors at my disposal. :)

Your version of Survival of the Fittest looks indeed much better at 42x42. Will change it accordingly.

Edited by Boeroer