Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deadfire Polishing Poll

polishing balance bugs

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

heldred

heldred

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 206 posts

Great work everyone!  I am partial to skulls, so I am a fan of many of the martial icons.  

My one suggestion... dirty fighting should be a kick/attack below the belt.  

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Dirty Fighting is a bit of a joke as well - since it's lying in the dirt. ;)

Good idea with a kick in the crotch! I couldn't come up with something that was easy to depict. That could work.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Finished Rogue (first iteration - still no idea for Persistent Distraction):

Spoiler

• AndreaColombo likes this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2441 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
- Persistent Distraction: le wild idea "a swearing/taunting clown with klaxon horn". Kidding)
- Backstab: looks fine. But that dripping might create an allusion with poison.
- Defensive Roll: good
- Dirty Fighting: uhh, looks like a skull snorting/nibbling something
- Riposte: from afar, looks like violin. But close-up is fine
- Deep Pockets: uhm, how about making two pockets? But if you do so - please don't delete the current version. We could use it for "Extra Pocket" talent for non-rogues ^^
- Adept Evasion: fine
- Deep Wounds: good
- Slipper Mind: "have some eel on your mind?"
- Deathblows: the concept is fine, but something is off. Maybe just leave the damage symbol?
- Murderous Intent: good
- Wall of Flashing Steel: ehm, looks like skeleton in bandana asking for a cigarette

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

- Dirty Fighting: uhh, looks like a skull snorting/nibbling something

That something is dirt. Dirty Fighting, eh? ;) I like the look, but it was supposed to be a joke because I had no idea what to depict. Kick in the groin like suggested by heldred might work well. Have to try that next.

@Persistent Distraction: first impulse was to use the silhouette of a curvy woman. ;)

@Slippery Mind: He's slippery like an... naaa? ;) Fist impulse was banana peel... on the top of the head.

@Wall of Flashing Steel: ROFL. Why cigarette?  Was supposed to be a flashy pirate, But I also don't like it too much. Next attempt maybe something more musketeer/duelist-style?

Edited by Boeroer, 18 April 2019 - 08:58 AM.

edoipi

edoipi

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

For Dirty Fighting you may look at Dragon Age skills https://dragonage.fa.../Dirty_Fighting and https://dragonage.fa.../Below_the_Belt. If you look really closely you can find their icon above the in-game screenshots. 

As for Persistent Distraction the only I found is this:

distractions.jpg

:no: 

• Boeroer and MaxQuest like this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2441 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That something is dirt. Dirty Fighting, eh? ;) I like the look, but it was supposed to be a joke because I had no idea what to depict. Kick in the groin like suggested by heldred might work well. Have to try that next.

Bitting the dirt. Hmm, I like heldred's suggestion more as well.

@Persistent Distraction: first impulse was to use the silhouette of a curvy woman. ;)

Or a female rogue fighting topless, ehh?

@Slippery Mind: He's slippery like an... naaa? ;) Fist impulse was banana peel... on the top of the head.

Naa...
Btw, wouldn't hurt to check what NWN2 used for Slippery Mind feat.

@Wall of Flashing Steel: ROFL. Why cigarette?  Was supposed to be a flashy pirate, But I also don't like it too much. Next attempt maybe something more musketeer/duelist-style?

Because he reminded me of some kind rapper/gopnik which asks for cigarette just as a pretext. And those sabres look like neck chain from afar))

Something duelist related will do. I was also thinking of someone swinging his blade so fast that it looks like a 'wall'.
  • Boeroer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Okay, let's see if this is any better (mostly redid Rogue stuff that was addressed above):

Spoiler

Edited by Boeroer, Yesterday, 05:26 AM.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I assume all this stuff is for some kind of a mod package for original game content?

heldred

heldred

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 206 posts

As a single vote of confidence, it all works for me, great work!   

• Boeroer likes this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 724 posts
I assume all this stuff is for some kind of a mod package for original game content?

Indeed.

Boeroer, Dirty Fighting must be a real dirty. ;)

Spoiler

Edited by Phenomenum, Yesterday, 07:01 AM.

• Boeroer likes this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2441 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Most likely.

There is a slow progressing towards 3 mods:
- Polishing Mod (with conservative and extended versions)
- New Passive Icons
- Druid and Priest Trinkets

Okay, let's see if this is any better (mostly redid Rogue stuff that was addressed above):

- Wall of Flashing Steel: looks great now :)
- Deathbows: is an improvement over previous iteration
- Dirty Fighting: hah, that crit under the belt)) This idea looks much better, just.. adjust that ass a bit? as the man looks naked
- Critical Defence: perfect
- Persistent Distraction: perfect

Edited by MaxQuest, Yesterday, 08:36 AM.

• AndreaColombo and Boeroer like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Great. Thanks y'all for the continuous feedback.

Now... what about the "new" Combat Focus?

Did anybody notice the changes of Overbearing Guard, Critical Defense and Toughened Fury?

And if yes: what about them? I wanted to amp up the fighter icons a bit because they looked a bit boring compared to Barb's and Rogue's.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 724 posts

Heh, take your time. After you see your icons ingame, side by side with originals, you'll want to redone some things. That's for sure. ;)

P.S. Never liked Dragon Age icons. It's kinda mess.

Edited by Phenomenum, Yesterday, 09:34 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes, there's too much going in in terms of color and gradients and glow and blur and stuff in Dragon Age's icons.

One thing that bothers me a bit with the Deadfire icons is that the "special" passive ones Obsidian designed for certain classes (e.g. Constant Recovery) use a totally different style than the generic ones that they (re)used for most passives. Those are just white silhouettes with no added color and so on. While the "special" ones have a lot more shmancy-fancy graphics.

I actually like the simpler ones more (look a lot cleaner) and that's why the "new" icons I did follow that latter style. Also because it's a lot easier to create that many icons in that fashion of course - since I can use vector graphics which is a lot faster than creating pixel based icons. But this also means the special ones which Obsidian made will stick out.

Would be better if all passives had that simpler look - and actives' icons stayed like they are (= more flashy).

Maybe (but only maybe) I should make monochrome versions of the "special" passives? Just use the symbols Obsidian used but redo them in the "simple" style? Compared to all the others I did so far there are not too many of them... 

Edited by Boeroer, Yesterday, 10:01 AM.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2441 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Great. Thanks y'all for the continuous feedback.

Now... what about the "new" Combat Focus?

Did anybody notice the changes of Overbearing Guard, Critical Defense and Toughened Fury?
And if yes: what about them? I wanted to amp up the fighter icons a bit because they looked a bit boring compared to Barb's and Rogue's.

- Combat focus: it's better now
- Overbearing Guard: good enough
- Critical Defense: perfect
- Toughened Fury: perfect

Btw, I've just seen a preview by Phenomenum. In 42x42 icons get smaller, and it's harder to pick up the details of Tumbling and Dirty Fighting. Also you seen to draw in 63x63 the central part? And in case of empower icons the center looks to be shifted 0.5 pixels to the side. Although these are minor.

Maybe (but only maybe) I should make monochrome versions of the "special" passives? Just use the symbols Obsidian used but redo them in the "simple" style? Compared to all the others I did so far there are not too many of them...

You mean Soul Whip, Sneak Attack, Carnage stuff like that?
Yeah they could be just B&W.

Edited by MaxQuest, Today, 07:25 AM.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 724 posts
Btw, I've just seen a preview by Phenomenum. In 42x42 icons get smaller, and it's harder to pick up the details of Tumbling and Dirty Fighting. Also you seen to draw in 63x63 the central part? And in case of empower icons the center looks to be shifted 0.5 pixels to the side. Although these are minor.

Yeah. I want to illustrate a problem with some icon's centering:

Spoiler

Edited by Phenomenum, Today, 08:00 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: polishing, balance, bugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users