Back to trinkets: how about some that bring back the good old Priest weapons from PoE1?

In PoE a Priest of Magran could get +10 ACC with Sword and Arquebus, Wael got Quarterstaff and Rod, Berath Great Sword and Mace, Eothas Morningstar and Flail and so on.

Most spiritual weapons in Deadfire miss one of those. Magran got Sword + Pistol (why?) but no arquebus, Berath Great Sword (no Mace), Wael has Rod (no Quarterstaff)...

So what about trinkets that add a spell like "Spiritual Mace" for a Priest of Berath for example (same bonuses)?

Only question is: would it be possible to achieve the same look? And if not: is that a problem?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

12 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

would it be possible to achieve the same look? And if not: is that a problem?

My .02: I wouldn't make them into a trinket so much as into a spell for consistency.

However, if the same look could not be achieved (which I believe it couldn't), or it could not be achieved at the same level of quality, I would personally never use them. I'm too much of an aesthetics bitch (to the point that if I wanted to use, say, Llengrath's Warding Staff on a build, I would pay an artist to draw an inventory icon for it as I can't stand its using the same icon as the spell.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hey, fantastic job thus far!  I'm excited to see these changes implemented by the community!

I would love to help give feedback on the mod.  I found the patch files earlier in the thread, but I'm not super experienced with modding my games.  How can I install the mod?  Are there any precautions I should take beforehand?  I assume I will need to re-download the mod as updates go out, yeah?

Yes, you would need to reinstall. Adding mods to your game is pretty easy. Search for the "override" folder in your Deadfire directory and place the mod folder in there.

17 hours ago, Zenzen said:

I would love to help give feedback on the mod.  I found the patch files earlier in the thread, but I'm not super experienced with modding my games.  How can I install the mod?  Are there any precautions I should take beforehand?  I assume I will need to re-download the mod as updates go out, yeah?

Here's a mini-guide: )

How to Install:

• Download the mods archive.
  • Open <Pillars of Eternity II>/PillarsOfEternityII_Data/ folder.
  • Find the /override subfolder. If it's missing - create it.
  • The correct file path would be: <Pillars of Eternity II>/PillarsOfEternityII_Data/override/
  • Extract the archive into your override directory, such that you get <Pillars of Eternity II>/PillarsOfEternityII_Data/override/CommunityPatchBasic, <Pillars of Eternity II>/PillarsOfEternityII_Data/override/CommunityPatchExtra, and so on
  • That's it. You can launch the game.

How to Update:

• Delete the CommunityPatch folders from /override folder
  • Proceed as described in the previous "How to Install" paragraph

How to Uninstall:

• Untick the mods in mod menu
  • Exit the game and delete the CommunityPatch folders from /override folder
  • Start the game as normal

17 hours ago, Zenzen said:

Are there any precautions I should take beforehand? 

The vast majority of changes will be working right of the bat. No need to start a new run or create a new character.

Afaik, there is only one change that requires retrain (or levelup) before going into effect: Arcane Archer's Penetrating Imbue, and this is because it is an auto-learned ability. And I have yet to check what happens if you uninstall the mod, while having AA in party. 99% chance sure that there won't be problems though.

Edited by MaxQuest

2 hours ago, Zenzen said:

Thank you both!  Got it working last night and my Arcane Archer has never been better :)

That additional PEN for imbued spells applying both to the spell and the shot itself is a bit crazy. Looking forward to the fix in the next build of CP.

Are there any plans to include nerfs to some of the more egregious ability abuses in this patch? The main example floating around seems to be Salvation of Time + Brilliant + X, where X is any suitably powerful buff with a short duration (e.g. Barring Death's Door, Blade Cascade). Maybe the answer is just "don't use abusive ability combinations", and that's fine, but a more elegant solution would be nice. I don't know what's possible, but something like only allowing SoT to extend an ability's duration a single time seems like an appropriate solution.

Some little feedback concerning the basic community patch:

- deep pockets does not appear as a PL 5 passive for barbarians. The talent's wording is also rogue specific for other classes, as it mentions the correct one slot in the description but two in the text.

Keep up the good work !

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Thanks 1

Abusing Brilliant is something that requires three things: high levels, meta knowledge, and willingness to knowingly pursue the exploit. There's no need to nerf something you'll never accidentally run into and ruin your game with. If you willfully seek it, you can't complain about it; if you don't willfully seek it, you don't run into it. It's that simple :)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So, you'll never accidentially play a Tactician? ;)

Brilliant is by far the strongest of all inspirations - I think nobody denies that. Why it replenishes 1 spell use of each tier per tick is totally beyond me. Who thought that this would be a balanced 3rd INT inspiration tier?

Then they realised that it might be a bit strong when auddenly all those "unlimited resources" Chanter/X builds popped up - but instead of nerfing Brilliant (e.g. making it slower for spell regeneraion - or just giving it a high PL bonus instead) they took it away from the Chanter (and nerfed tons of other stuff that was not nearly as OP - Baubles of the Fin whoohee).

Then they put in on a cloak and designed a whole subclass around that...

SoT wouldn't be so OP if Brilliant wouldn't allow to spam it in less than 10 sec. If Brilliant would instead replenish 1 single spell use per tick (like Blood Sacrifice) there would be not much of a problem. Or if it didn't tick every 6 secs but ever 12 (for spells - for resources 6 secs is fine).

This SoT/Brilliant or Wall of Draining/Brilliant abuse is so obvious - I don't get why nobody at Obsidian saw this coming. This is the first thing I think about when reading about a spell that prolongs buffs for 10+ seconds and an effect that makes you regain spell uses every 6 secs.

Now all Ultimate runs either include Tactician or Shroud of the Phantasm... I wonder why...? ;)

Edited by Boeroer

I'll never accidentally play a Tactician/Priest. If I do, it's very likely that I'm willfully pursuing the Brilliant+SoT combo.

The Ultimate is an unfair challenge in the first place, so it should come as no surprise that people tackling it are abusing everything that can be abused in order to beat it. It's the name of the game. ;)

I also think nobody denies that 100% up time for buffs is fun 😄

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

That additional PEN for imbued spells applying both to the spell and the shot itself is a bit crazy. Looking forward to the fix in the next build of CP.

It was fixed, you can relax)

1 hour ago, dukeisaac said:

Some little feedback concerning the basic community patch:

- deep pockets does not appear as a PL 5 passive for barbarians. The talent's wording is also rogue specific for other classes, as it mentions the correct one slot in the description but two in the text.

You can blame me. There was incorrect Class Table ID for Barbarians. Also, we already did a brand new description for this talent. So it will be ok on release.

@Phenomenum: Do you know if it's possible to add the visual effects of the spiritual weapons to other weapons models via mod? In order to create otjer variants of spiritual weapons?

I read about that Aldris Blade of Captain Crow sabre i the mod forum (the one whose grip'n stuff looks like a chicken ribcage with wings) and for example the wings could be made invisible. So... I guess there are some things that one can do...?

7 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Do you know if it's possible to add the visual effects of the spiritual weapons to other weapons models via mod? In order to create otjer variants of spiritual weapons?

I read about that Aldris Blade of Captain Crow sabre i the mod forum (the one whose grip'n stuff looks like a chicken ribcage with wings) and for example the wings could be made invisible. So... I guess there are some things that one can do...?

Yes, but what do you want exactly?

I can add visuals to item (in fact i did it for my St. Drogga's Skull) by simply adding/substituting corresponding entries in items.gamedatabundle. For example, i've added Berath Great sword FX to ordinary Great Sword:
VOyWt73.png

But it changes permanently all Great Swords in game. So, why do you asking?

Edited by Phenomenum

23 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Back to trinkets: how about some that bring back the good old Priest weapons from PoE1?

In PoE a Priest of Magran could get +10 ACC with Sword and Arquebus, Wael got Quarterstaff and Rod, Berath Great Sword and Mace, Eothas Morningstar and Flail and so on.

Most spiritual weapons in Deadfire miss one of those. Magran got Sword + Pistol (why?) but no arquebus, Berath Great Sword (no Mace), Wael has Rod (no Quarterstaff)...

So what about trinkets that add a spell like "Spiritual Mace" for a Priest of Berath for example (same bonuses)?

Only question is: would it be possible to achieve the same look? And if not: is that a problem?

@Phenomenum: I asked because of the post above (that I wrote yesterday).

Edited by Boeroer

Just now, Boeroer said:

I asked because of the post above (that I wrote yesterday).

Aha.  So, we'll add to the trinkets a pell "Spiritual Arquebus" for Priest of Magran, which gives you arquebus with "spiritual" VFX. Right?

Wouldn't it be better to create an additional 2nd-level spell for each Priest that added the weapon in question?

For Wael you could potentially re-use the model for Llengrath's Warding Staff (which would unfortunately come with the grating Wizard spell icon in the inventory); it looks sufficiently similar in style to the wand IMO.

@Phenomenum: Yes, something like that. To bring back a bit of PoE nostalgia (and options for Priests). Just an idea though - but since our trinkets are not yet set in stone and we might need some more ideas for trinkets in general...

@AndreaColombo: would also be a possibility. I was just searching for more "themes" for trinkets. To make them unique and interesting. 

I do miss my Priest of Magran with an Arquebus. :)

Edited by Boeroer

24 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I do miss my Priest of Magran with an Arquebus. :)

Agreed, it's a good idea. In this case, we can make it.

26 minutes ago, AndreaColombo said:

Wouldn't it be better to create an additional 2nd-level spell for each Priest that added the weapon in question?

We must create "unique and interesting" trinkets to make Druids and Priest more unique and versatile (closer to Wizards with their grimoires), not just expand spell arsenal at the cost of ability points.

As for trinkets, we must settle up The Main Question:
Should be trinkets (both for Druids and Priests) specialized for each subclass or they should simply add some bonuses and spells?
In case of specialized trinkets, should be the ones restricted to each subclass?

My vote is for specializing, to make each subclass gameplay experience more unique and distinctive. Especially for priests, because of very little difference between subclasses.

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Thanks 1