^ You can PM me, Phenomenum, or post them here)

5 hours ago, Boeroer said:

I think nobody (except Phenomenum) said anything about the Paladin subclasses yet - or did I miss it? 

I was initially imagining paladin icons in a different way. But those ideas were vague.

So I gave it a few days. But you know, now after a fresh look, your paladin icons started to grow on me.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2019 at 3:45 PM, Phenomenum said:

Nope. And i can't remember if i ever seen any of Subclasses icons ingame.

To come back to this: I checked ingame and you actually see all subclasses' icons in the ability tree (PL 0). They just are the same as the vanilla class icon (which doesn't get depicted if you choose a vanilla class). 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ok, compiled (negative) feedback. Time to rework. Puh...

My replies under each of the current points of feedback.
Green means I agree and will try to change it.
Yellow means I (partly) agree but need more input.
Red means I don't want to change it at the moment - based on that feedback alone (but could turn green with better suggestions/ideas)

I already reworked some icons based on earlier feedback (e.g. Deathblows, Devine Retribution and others). The original feedback on those I didn't include since they changed.
There I would need new feedback - if the new versions are also not cool with you.

If you are ok with an icon then I don't need feedback on that. Just post the negative stuff. :)

Please discuss! I put the actual icons into the spoiler tags below the feedback list.

• Fighter:
    • Black Jacket: too straight forward
      • reply: agreed, will try to find something else.
    • Shield Mastery: not liking stars, maybe remove one
      • reply: it's consistent with Weapon Mastery - which also has those same two stars. I'd like to keep it because of that. 
    • Confident Aim: elements too small, too much free space, vanilla icon is better.
      • reply: I agree. I also realized that the original icon of Confident Aim now is unique and can be used. Problem solved. :)
  • Rogue:
    • Slippery Mind: looks like snake in mouth
      • reply: will try to do something else or to move the slippery eel around abit.
    • Riposte: looks like a violin
      • reply: wtf? :) But will try something else
  • Barbarian:
    • Berserker:  doesn't reflect the enraged/confused nature of berserker frenzy.
      • reply: will try to add something that is more telling
    • Corpse Eater:  no connection to corpse eating/cannibalism
      • reply: several human cultures that are cannibalistic file their theeth, that's why I chose that. Will try something else. Am open to other suggestions.
    • One Stands Alone: try to remove two pikes on top.
      • reply: ok
  • Monk:
    • Helwalker: Looks like walking on pins/caltrops.
      • reply: that was the intention. But am open to other suggestions.
    • Crucible of Suffering: maybe not suitable for 42x42px. Try to make features more simplified and distinct.
      • reply: will try
    • Enervating Blows: kind of unsettling
      • reply: unsettling enough to wanting to change it?
  • Cipher:
    • Ascendant: Could you apply here those "wings" from Soul Blade?
    • Soul Blade: quite nice, but atm, SB looks more ascending than Ascendant himself.
    • Psion: Gives an impression that he is looking at something in a strange window. The meditative state of Ascendant icon could fit here.
      • reply (to all three points): I will use current Ascendant for Psion and draw a new one for Ascendant. Soul Blade's "wings" aren't meant to be wings. Will alter that.
    • Iron Will: is suggestive, but feels a bit odd
      • reply: agree, will alter a bit
    • Greater Focus: gives an uncomfortable vibe, but is somewhat suggestive
    • Keen Mind: gives an uncomfortable vibe, but is somewhat suggestive
      • reply (both): they are based on the ingame symbol for focus (simple star in brain). Would like to keep them because of that.
    • Protective Soul: looks great, but gives an impression that it gives bonus defenses on crit. That 25pt barrier it gives reminds me more of "Seven Men onto the Deck" chant icon.
      • reply. That half-filled shield is the ingame symbol for damage reduction (in PoE and I think also in Deadfire - although you don't see it often). Would like to keep it because the dmg shield is a form of dmg reduction - and I don't know how I should depict those dmg shields in a suggestive way.
    • Shared Nightmare: don't like it
      • reply: please be more specific.
    • All "soul ability" icons with skulls: don't like it (as symbol for "soul").
      • reply: the skulls stand for crits. This is consistent for nearly all symbols I drew. A skull means there are crits involved. I don't use a dedicated symbol for "soul" - because it's used very broadly, often has nothing to do with what that ability actually does and it already has "soul" in the name - so after thinking more about it I guess I don't have to repeat that in the symbol. "Soul" and also "Echo" just sound "cipherish" I guess and that's why they named some abilities that way. So... basically I want to keep the skulls.
  • Paladin:
    • Goldpact Knights: will turn into a grey mess in 42x42. Try to simplify.
      • reply: ok, will try
    • Frermàs mes Canc Suolias: 5 stars will turn into a 5 blurry rounds in 42x42. Try to make them more distinct, with less rays count.
      • reply: it's 5 suns actually. The rays are a 1:1 copy from Palleginas armor (which depicts those 5 suns). However - don't make sense to stick to it if you can't see it anyway. :) In order to prevent mushiness I can try remove some rays - or maybe make the suns bigger somehow?
    • Retribution: first thought: ouch; second thought: getting arrow to the back makes one sad... well, I guess. Retribution kinda associates for me with this image.
      • reply: I don't think the linked image is telling you what this ability is about. The face of the "sad man" is supposed to look angry. :)
    • Aegis of Loyalty: it's ok. But not suggestive.
      • reply: any suggestions? I think it's fine. Difficult to depict the act of slapping sense into your companion. :)
    • Iron Gut: weird
      • reply: changed it a bit. Still not superhappy but maybe ok now?
  • Ranger:
    • Defensive Bond: without rays
    • Strenghtened Bond: like current Defensive Bond to prevent too "roundish" and bright symbol
    • Driving Flight: It looks like that xaurip is being fired in point blank or impaled by a pike, and an arrow comes from his back. Don't like it at all. I'll try to find some additional suggestion.
      • reply: Tried to remove some lines to make it more clear that it's not a pike but just an arrow-shwoosh. Additional suggestions: I'm waiting... ;)
    • Distracting Training: Don't like it at all. I'll try to find some additional suggestion.
      • reply: I'm waiting... ;)
    • Shot on the Run: bowstring too thin, bow too short
      • reply: ok, will alter that
  • Druid:
    • Fury: looks like Predator (from the movie). Fury might rather associate with Storm from X-Men.
      • reply: will try to depict a face that looks a bit like "Storm". Maybe sparkle-eyes and raised hair or something...
    • Wildstrike: make claws a bit simpler.
      • reply: okay
  • Wizard:
    • Transmuter: weird
      • reply: need more concrete/specific feedback
    • Evoker: the fireball looks a bit like an onion
      • reply: will try a different fireball depiction
  • Chanter:
    • Bellower: too straight interpretation
      • reply: "to bellow" means to shout, to yell, to roar, to scream etc. I think the shouting face fits very well. This subclass is all about "bellowing" invocations. If there is a better suggestion I'm totally open for it though.

Icons:

new_ability_icons_v20.png?dl=1

• Like 3

Another thing: Chanter's phrases all have their unique icons which are a lot different from the "simplistic" passive ones. They stand on the passive side ofthe ability tree and thus should share the same style. On the other hand they are not really passives - more like modals. They also don't stack like passives in most cases.

I would like to keep those icons and NOT rework the as black/white versions like i did with some others (Unbending for example). Because this way you can immediately tell them apart from the "real" passives.

So: even though they break the style of that passive side of the tree I would like to leave them as is.

But what do you think?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

reply: I agree. I also realized that the original icon of Confident Aim now is unique and can be used. Problem solved

Woohah) Leave those one poor icon from vanilla it's an act of mercy)

38 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Riposte: looks like a violin

• reply: wtf? :) But will try something else

Strange. One of my favorite icons.

39 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Shield Mastery: not liking stars, maybe remove one

• reply: it's consistent with Weapon Mastery - which also has those same two stars. I'd like to keep it because of that. 

Ok. I get your point.

40 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Corpse Eater:  no connection to corpse eating/cannibalism

• reply: several human cultures that are cannibalistic file their theeth, that's why I chose that. Will try something else. Am open to other suggestions.

I blame Alice for that)

45 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Distracting Training: Don't like it at all. I'll try to find some additional suggestion.

• reply: I'm waiting... ;)

Yes, yes... -_-

46 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Wizard:

• Transmuter: weird
    • reply: need more concrete/specific feedback

Hmmm... MMM... I look on this icon and see some kind of waves or lines... (of course i understand it's a human figure, but very indistinguishable one, with some kind of force field, or maybe emmiting those waves or lines...) All in all, this icon don't telling me: "Hey, i'm Transmuter!"

Maybe worth a look for some symbol? https://www.google.com/search?q=transmutation+circle&newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjK4Z3l3K7iAhW8xMQBHeFuAS04FBD8BQgOKAE&biw=1920&bih=983

44 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I would like to keep those icons and NOT rework the as black/white versions like i did with some others (Unbending for example). Because this way you can immediately tell them apart from the "real" passives. 

So: even though they break the style of that passive side of the tree I would like to leave them as is.

But what do you think?

Of course! I share the same opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I like the icon for Enervating Blows :)

• Thanks 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

2 hours ago, Phenomenum said:

Hmmm... MMM... I look on this icon and see some kind of waves or lines... (of course i understand it's a human figure, but very indistinguishable one, with some kind of force field, or maybe emmiting those waves or lines...) All in all, this icon don't telling me: "Hey, i'm Transmuter!"

I understand. The intention was to take the outline of the ogre's head from "Form of the Fearsome Brute" whose icon will be right on the other side (on the active side) of the ability screen. And then I wanted to "simulate" the transformation from human to ogre form with those lines you see.

But it obviously doesn't work. ;)

@Boeroer

• Shield Mastery - am fine with it as it is
  • Corpse Eater - hmm, no solid ideas here. But get some associations with vultures, zombies, and some papuans / cannibals.
  • Helwalker - biggest offender, in my opinion. But the only association I have, is a monk walking that path of memories in The Beyond at the start of the game.
  • Enervating Blows - unsettling, but it's ok I guess... No better ideas yet, anyway.
  • Keen Mind - the brain itself is unsettling. A more mild approach would be placing the stars into 'head model', like that from Iron Will. But this is low priority / optional change.
  • Shared Nightmare - I actually like the current version.
  • Skulls (for cipher) - they look ok imo.
  • Iron Gut - still don't like it. But uhh, no ideas yet.
  • Driving Flight - that small improvement is noted. I think it's ok now.
  • Belower - understood, and it's ok than.

And am also ok with current chant icons.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Riposte: if only @MaxQuest sees a violin... maybe leave it? 😇 

Or maybe I can alter it just a little bit so that that maxquestian vision of a violin dissolves? 🤭

Have you altered it a bit? Riposte is looking better now with a fresh look.

I was seeing something like that on the right, before: ☺️

2KsDJ8M.png

But now it's quite fine. Although hope the hand outline stays as clear, when resized down to 42x42.

Edited by MaxQuest

7 hours ago, Phenomenum said:

Yes, yes... -_-

About Distracted Training.
First: It must be not a boar but fox. Because fox is cunning. It fits the ability idea to outmaneuver, outfox your enemy.
Second: I did some quick reference:
KRSxHB1.jpg

Can you do something similar, but add some dynamic?

1 hour ago, Phenomenum said:

About Distracted Training.
First: It must be not a boar but fox. Because fox is cunning. It fits the ability idea to outmaneuver, outfox your enemy.
Second: I did some quick reference:
KRSxHB1.jpg

Can you do something similar, but add some dynamic?

I could replace the boar with a fox if that helps. :) The ability triggers if the animal companion gets missed by an attack. I think my version shows that better than the picture above which looks like the fox waits to get petted but the guy with the sword is like "what the fox?". :) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

could replace the boar with a fox if that helps.

No it doesn't helps)
Your version shows a boar galloping around some stick.
Ok. It promising to be hard, but i'll don't give up. For now. :shifty:

On 5/21/2019 at 7:13 AM, Boeroer said:

Ok, I think I did them all.

If I missed one please let me know. After a last round of feedback I will begin with the corrections/refinement/younameit.

I think nobody (except Phenomenum) said anything about the Paladin subclasses yet - or did I miss it? 

new_ability_icons_v20.png?dl=1

This is fantastic stuff... Really looking forward to the community patch. Do you have a rough estimate for release ? Thx !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

But I did remove the "stick" and now it's a sword that misses the boar (or fox). Didn't you see the updated version maybe?

I've seen a new version. Well, i admit - it's hell of a work. But we must to cook something. Do you remember Wildstrike icons  - how it all began, and how finished? I'm sure we can do this.

Edited by Phenomenum

@Boeroer No icon for the Watershaper druid subclass? :)

• Thanks 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Thanks so much guys for you work. I added to current built of the Community Work to my playthrough.

The fix for the Arcane Archer works! (for anyone interested: to have the PEN pen activate for your current character, you have to either wait for the level up, upon which the perk will be activated, or retrain your character) One thing, though I am not sure, if it is fixable. The PEN is indeed scaling with Arcane, however it applies to both imbued spells (good!) and the shot itelf. As such it gives a pretty decent boost to a short which already benefits of base weapon PEN. 

I would take this, rather than no PEN for imbued spells, as it makes the subclass' unique feature rather weak. 

9 hours ago, AndreaColombo said:

@Boeroer No icon for the Watershaper druid subclass? :)

Oh shoot. Good that you mention it. I totally forgot. I guess I also forgot Stormspeaker, didn't I?

And I thought I did check all companions' and sidekicks' classes, but obviously I failed at that. :(

PS: Also Gunhawk! Grrr... :facepalm:

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Been seeing a lot of activity in this thread for quite a while and it looks interesting but not sure exactly what it is you guys are working on.

That's some sort of giga balancing mod correct? Is it something that's a long way from release or do you have some sort of preview or alpha somewhere?

There’s a beta on page 10 of this thread ;)